It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple's voice-activated assistant Siri is cracked

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Apple's voice-activated assistant Siri is cracked

The French developer Applidium office has cracked the communication protocol of Apple's iPhone digital assistant Siri - and found interesting things:

Siri posted (with the VoIP codec Ogg Speex) compressed audio data to a server from Apple.
This data provides Siri with an identification number associated with each iPhone 4S.
In addition, the software is still a lot more information - which explains not Applidium.

The developers describe the protocol but as a "very, very talkative."

Apple also send data in bulk to the respective Siri program, including time stamps and estimates of the hit rate. With the data now published by Applidium hobby developers could develop similar programs for Siri other devices than the iPhone 4S - as long as the individual user and an iPhone 4S possessed with the corresponding identification number. Apple could be the next protocol IOS update, but also a little better protected against hacker access. Nevertheless, programmers in forums such as the "Hacker News" dissects the Siri log on - and survey on development opportunities, weaknesses and oddities out.

This right here:

Siri posted (with the VoIP codec Ogg Speex) compressed audio data to a server from Apple.
This data provides Siri with an identification number associated with each iPhone 4S.
In addition, the software send still a lot more information - which explains Applidium not.

sounds like the orwell version of skynet. Everything you say to Siri is recorded and saved on a server and every soundfile is directly related to your iphone --> you

Anyway data protection who really cares in times of bacefook and else... but I think this A.I. (maybe not Siri but maybe its grandchild) is gonna kick our asses in the future!

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
its a talking phone not a terminator

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
interesting

i think in these times its more than obvious that privacy guidlines play an important role if it comes to using computers.

in general nothing what your hardware, the phone or computer, does which is recorded and datamined is important enough to be an issue.
Its just going to be an issue once all this information is combined with your name and adress and put to whatever sort of use.

Its like getting a number-plate to your *ss

Do we really need that ?

excuse me, but i do have a mobile too. I use it for being able to make a phonecall.
Now try to get a phone which can JUST THAT.

Apple basically did great with their hardware.
but the way they are into data-mining is an issue.
imho if they think they want to know that much about what i do, why don't they offer their smartphone for free ?
they should already earned enough from this data to be able.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
And your wondering why the phone battery only last for a short while, because it's always on line 24/7 no wonder there's a power bug in the phone it's called siri.

Makes you wonder what else they are up loading from your phone.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I would not be surprised if all of Siri's intel is sent to Raytheon for a more complete analysing on all and every individual.
George Orwell,1984 here we come indeed.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by rocket88

So if I call my friend on an iPhone and tell them that movie I went to last night was "da bomb" will they flag me as a potential terrorist after analyzing my voice data it sends in?

My cell phone is 5 years old and doesn't have these advanced "privacy features"

After reading things like this, I'm not in a hurry to replace it.

new topics

top topics

join