It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Labor Day Weekend!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 08:58 AM
link   
As we gather with Friends and Family this Labor Day weekend to celebrate the end of summer in our great country around back yard BBQ�s, boating on lakes and rivers, camping in our numerous State and National Parks or just laying back getting some much needed rest and relaxation,

A large part of our fellow citizens will be fleeing the impact of Hurricane Frances or hunkered down in shelters all across Florida trying to survive an onslaught of wind and water.

So please keep these people in your minds and hearts this weekend, I believe they will need all of our prayers to overcome Frances furry.

Respectfully
John

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Why don't they just buy everybody out and make Florida a national park??
Or maybey they should require more stricter building codes??
I 'll bet the contractors down there are real happy though. I wonder if the contractor's houses are any better built than their customer's?
I have seen stick and thatch huts in the Far East survive Typhoon after Typhoon, yet hurricanes constantly devastate the gulf coast. Are Atlantic storms stronger than Pacific ones??

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 09:45 AM
link   
You talk about 2 things I do not understand very well I your post:

1. Labour Day - why is Labour Day in this (or other) particular day?
2. Why do not people in Florida use concrete to build their houses?

Just curious.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 10:02 AM
link   

1. Labour Day - why is Labour Day in this (or other) particular day?

A simple Google on it should tell you way more than you ever wanted to know, hehe...

2. Why do not people in Florida use concrete to build their houses?

We do, just like anywhere else though, there are a variety of materials, and a variety of competence that went into these structures. Many buildings were built before stricter codes were in place, by unscrupulous contractors trying to make more money by cutting corners. As for the huts surviving Typhoons, they don't, but it's pretty cheap and easy to throw up another hut, hehe....
The big problem in Florida is all the mobile homes. We have a HUGE elderly population, and mobile homes are a cheap housing option used by many. Being nothing more than wood and sheet metal...they're pretty much the same thing as a hut with a thatched roof, when it comes to these storms, and THAT'S where you see the biggest devestation.... Not to mention, with 145 mph winds, it pretty much doesn't matter what the building is made of...there's a chance of it tearing off the roof....

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Thats true my house in concrete and it's pretty strong not happened to it in charlie and labor day is just a great time to spend time with the folks and your friends and eat good food.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 11:49 AM
link   
1. A Google search did show me why in the USA and Canada Labour Day is celebrated in September, I was curious because the majority of countries who celebrate Labour Day use May 1.

2. I forgot the mobile homes, we do not use that here in Portugal.

Thanks.

new topics

top topics

join