It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A trojan has attached itself too a system restore file

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 05:51 PM
link   
one of my system restore file has gotten a trojan attached and my antivirus software is unable to get rid of it. I have gotten the complete file name of the system restorer file that is carrying the trojan. Is there a free cleaner that will get rid of this? Is there anything that I can do other than rerun the whole system? its one of those trojans that gives adware a back door to get in.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Turn system restore off (which will delete all system restore files) then turn it back on and create a new one. Same thing happened to me for a while.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I turned mine off. I haven't turned it back on since and my computer is running great.....

And how the hell do you redo a system restore?? You mean take it back to a later date??

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Try turning off the system restore, reboot and attempt to delete the file or rerun your antivirus.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueLies
I turned mine off. I haven't turned it back on since and my computer is running great.....

And how the hell do you redo a system restore?? You mean take it back to a later date??

I mean reinstall your system totally just like the computer was when you first got it, only problem is you lose all your added data and have to reinstall any software you've added

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 12:06 PM
link   
The easiest way to have both (system restore & no viruses there) is the following:

Gain rights to the C:/.volume information folder. Under Windows XP, you need to disable simple file sharing to do this.

Once you have access to this directory... Your anti virus will now have the rights to delete the viruses in there. Plus you can dlete them manually. This is what I have done for years... And works a treat. I can leave system restore on all the time, never lose any of my save points - and still delete any viruses that manage to get in there.

This will work 100%

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 12:30 PM
link   

MetalHead has given us the solution

[Edited on 3-9-2004 by dbates]

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Sorry... But did anybody acknowledge what I said?
You don't have to reset system restore. Read my above post.

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by MetalHead
Sorry... But did anybody acknowledge what I said?
You don't have to reset system restore. Read my above post.

Thanks everyone I did go ahead and turnoff system restore and it worked like a charm, no more trojan horse. MetalHead I will turn it back on and try this in the future. I have a firewall up and this trojan still managed to get through, so I'm sure I have not seen the last of trojans their sneaky. Now I have tons of popups even though I get a free popup blocker from my server, anybody know some good ones that are free. I don't have DSL so I'm running slow as it is and thses popups are really slowing me down. TIA

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Well, I would advice to change your web browser... To say Mozilla - or MyIE if you like the feel of IE too much.

If you're running Windows XP, SP2 gives IE a pop-up stopper.

But for a seperate free pop up stopper... I would say Angry Pop Up Stopper. It can catch practically anything.

With the firewall thing... It won't stop all trojans (obviously, depending how they entered your system), but some advice anyway (it may sound obvious though):

Block ALL traffic in, and out. Then just open up the ports of the services you need (for in and out)... This can be a long and droolong process, as you will need to block 80 (for out) for web browsing, then the mail ports, etc. But it is worth it, as it will stop a lot of unwanted crap. Plus you will have full control over what comes in and out.

You also may want to get and configure an IDS (Intrusion Detection System) - these can catch certain types of trojans too. The best free one for Windows (and most other platforms) is Snort.

top topics

join