It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

*Demons, Superstitions, and Magick*. Looking into the 72 Goetia Spirits.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I had accidentally bumped into something called the Goetia spirits. I had NO idea what this was about, and found it quite interesting to say the least. From what I have researched there are different stories about where this "story" came from, who told it, and of course its authenticity.
There are so many stories of the origin, I wanted to concentrate solely on the spirits themselves.

I have written this in ATS Skunkworks, because I figured this would be a good place to have this discussion, and it will be clearly understood by those that click on this thread that it is in Skunkworks for a reason.

Though there is much to share I will do my best to add all that I can, I am still learning as I go, but if I dont eventually get this thread started I never will.

So please bare with me, as I have a tendency to be thorough, but I promise this will be a good read/story/info.... to say the least.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ -----------

This is where I initially found the info. The site has been neglected for some time, but the info remains. The site is from James Donahue.
Here is a bit about him, and I will tell you why in a bit that I thought it was important to use his name/site to continue this thread.

Author and Columnist James Donahue

Donahue's most recent work involves explorations in the esoteric realm, and studies of right brain functioning. He is completing an extensive study of Liber AL vel Legis, an occult document more commonly identified as The Book of the Law. It was reportedly dictated to Aleister Crowley by a shadowy visitor from the past identified as Aiwass in 1904. The contemporary work by Donahue, the first complete examination of Liber Legis since Crowley's nearly a century ago, is offered for public reading on this web site.

www.perdurabo10.com...

Now the site and the man above has claimed to have remote viewed with each of the spirits, and sketched picture of them. The reason, whether believed or not have some very interesting symbols, that some may recognize or have seen while dreaming, or even astral projecting.

Goetia Spirits.

Here are introductory links with pictures inviting you to examine the drawings, the sigils and fascinating discovery information about the Goetian Spirits said to have been bound by King Solomon. Aaron C. Donahue, perhaps the most skilled technical remote viewer in the world, has used his talents to summon and then draw these once feared "demons" as they really are. His findings will shock and amaze you. The Goetian Spirits are aliens, who have been with us for thousands of years. They are the origins of many of our myths ranging from sea monsters to unicorns and UFOs.

perdurabo10.tripod.com...

REMINDER: SOME OF THE LINKS MAY NO LONGER WORK!!

I will add few myself of the more identifiable names, and the drawings of them will be at the link shown.
Why Have So Many Humans Worshiped Bael?

Ancient historical records indicate that Bael, the first principal spirit listed in the Goetia, has been the subject of human worship for thousands of years.

The Hebrews were admonished in the Old Testament for turning away from JHVH (an alien imposter) and bowing down to Bael. The Sumerians worshipped several gods, including Marduk, another name for Bael, also called Baal. The Cannanites and Amorites also worshipped Bael. Some believe the Egyptian god Osris was none other than Bael in disguise.

Here is the old photo of Bael.

And the drawing of what he saw as Bael in his astral projection.

All of the spirits have pictures of what they were represented as before, and what Donahue saw later.
perdurabo10.tripod.com...

Nevertheless there are 72 total. I will add a bit about who and what they were used for, and how they play in our culture/superstition/fairy-tales today.

Goetia: the Lesser Key of Solomon the King

About The Goetia
The Goetia (pronounced Go-EY-sha) is Book 1 of the Lemegeton (Lesser Key of Solomon), a grimoire that circulated in the 17th century and is penned in the name of King Solomon. This translation/compilation comes from SL MacGregor Mathers in 1904.

According to kabbalah scholar, Gershom Scholem, the text was not originally Jewish and was only translated into Hebrew in th 17th century. He describes the book as "a melange of Jewish, Christian, and Arab elements in which the kabbalistic component was practically nil." (Scholem, Kabbalah)

Many of the demons found in the Goetia were initially published in the 16th century by Johann Wier. Curiously, a handful were left out. The Goetia also uses some of Collin de Plancy's Dictionnaire Infernal illustrations.

www.deliriumsrealm.com...

Now the reason that I find this so fascinating is that we are basically taught NO MATTER WHO YOU ARE, that there is good and bad, and though some of us may only see that as feelings and actions by the individual... some have put names and faces to the "evil".

As an added bonus, I thought I would add this.

Also from the Dark Lodge, here's a nifty PDF (45KB) listing the goetic demons by rank, metal, color, planet & incense.

Just to add that "Dark Lodge" is a personal group, and has an age restriction, so I will not add a link, if someone is interested they can find them easily on the web.

Also the book can be read here by chapter.
The Lesser Key of Solomon
S.L. MacGregor Mathers and Aleister Crowley

This edition of the Lesser Key of Solomon is based on manuscripts from the British Museum, edited by two prominent occultists. Although Mathers took lead on the body of the text, Crowley's literary fingerprints are all over this book, such as the polite sniping at A.E. Waite, the Preliminary Invocation, and the essay The Initiated Interpretation of Ceremonial Magic, which is classic Crowley.

This is a considerably cleaned up and modernized version of the Lesser Key, which is obviously intended to be used as a working document for serious magicians, rather than a rigorous transcription of the source manuscripts. However, the information presented here dovetails with the other Goetic grimoires and this version is considered one of the best of this literature.

www.sacred-texts.com...

I wanted to add that there are apparently 3 added at different times, and I wanted to be sure to show all of them. Here are the 2 different lists provided by both Johann Wier (1583), and S. L. MacGregor Mathers (1904).

Comparison of Wier's Hierarchy with the Goetia

There are 3 more demons in the Goetia, but the list appears to contain the same names with the exception of Pruflas in Wier's heirarchy. The picture of Purson in Mather's Goetia corresponds with Pruflas in the Dictionnaire Infernal, however, both Purson and Pruflas are listed in Wier's list, but only Pruflas is listed in de Plancy's list. Thus there are 4 names on Mathers' list that do not correspond. Mathers lists Vassago, Seere, Dantalion, & Andromalius. Of these, it may be possible that either Vassago or Seere correspond to Pruflas, as both command 26 legions.

Peace, NRE.
edit on 9-11-2011 by NoRegretsEver because: trying to fix photos

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I cannot seem to get the photos posted, I apologize for that, but the photo that I was trying to post is in the link that I provided.

Again sorry.
Peace, NRE.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
This is a HUGE topic actually. There is a lot more to the Goetic Grimoire tradition than 72 enities. More like over 1500 named spirits from several different belief systems. Zoroaster, Egyptian, Hebrew, Chaldean, even Islamic and christian. They all borrow and add to each other.

The Image that you posted for Baal is also attributed to a demon called Asmodeus (could be the same I guess) I could go on but not really sure where you want to go so.................

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Khaaaaaan!!

I knew that if I tried to add all or most of the demons I would still be adding to the thread, and I wanted to see if there would be any interaction/interest before I did that... and there wasn't/isn't.

I am still in the process of trying to learn as many as I can, and the sites I linked are helping with that, if you have anything you would like to add, I will be sure to check it out.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

Dictionary of Demons

If you read this book all the way thru you will have a very clear picture of how it all came to be, and how it works.

and it will give you lots and lots of search query ideas

top topics

join