It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Issue 2 has been voted down, SB5 is dead!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Ohio voters rallied at the polls today to vote down issue 2, therefore killing SB5. SB5 was a bill passed by Governor Kasich that limited public employees collective bargaining rights. This vote has national implications as to how other states will move forward with their attempts at union busting. Amazingly, politicians were not going to be affected by the bill because they put a loophole in for themselves. I voted no on the bill as it would have directly affected me. Just wanted to let everyone know.

edit on 8-11-2011 by imawlinn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Glad they didn't get away with it. I'm tired of the neo-con rhetoric that union workers are overpaid, underworked parasites with outrageously generous retirement plans. Sure there are those examples, but they are the exception rather than the rule. I'm in a union, working for the county. I have a 4-year college degree, and get paid less than the 10th-grade dropout road construction guy holding the stop sign. By the time I can retire, Cal-PERS will be a bankrupt distant memory. My coworkers and I bust our @sses working through breaks and lunches. We are expected to each do the job of 2 or 3 people because we're ridiculously short staffed. Our administrators micro-manage every detail and only care about what makes them look good on paper. We have about a 70% turnover rate - because so many dedication workers who've been with us for years just can't take it anymore and either get a job elsewhere, or go out on disability.

The globalists are trying to turn what's left of the middle class into nothing more than sweatshop slave-labor, never again able to earn a decent living wage.

Thank those who sold us on the "free trade" scheme over the last 40 years. I don't know about you, but I'm holding on to my union rights with every last breath.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   

"Although the parts of the law that require public workers to contribute to their retirement and health care costs are popular with voters ... the strong opposition to curtailing collective bargaining and seniority rights apparently is what seems to be carrying the day for the law's opponents," said Peter Brown, assistant director of the Quinnipiac University Polling Institute.

www.cnn.com...

A huge (last polls were 85%) support making public employees pay into their own pension and healthcare (10% and 15% respectively) but most did not want to restrict the right to collective bargaining. Which, I have to say I support their decision. BUT .. public employees should pay a much larger percentage of their entitlement programs (to which they currently pay.... 0)

I have several family members who are Ohio public employees and still think it's unfair that, on the States dime, they get every perk of their job for free. Come on .. 10% towards your pension? With retirement accounts + pension state employees do exceedingly well. BUT .. I agree, you should not remove their collective bargaining rights entirely. So, I would bet that a new initiative will be on the ballots next year.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
SB wasn’t about wages. It was about benefits. Or should I say excessive benefits. Not to mention dead beat workers.

Take a teacher that I love dearly. She has used maybe 2 sick days in 10 years. But she gets to ‘save’ the others (10 per year). I only get 5 sick days in 12 months but she gets 10 in 9.5 months? Plus I don’t get to save mine. At the end of the year they are gone. Poof!

Once a new teacher gets past their initial first year they start getting raises automatically. It doesn’t matter what they teach. After 10 years they are well above 50K. Now does a gym teacher deserve that much?

Add to this FREE medical insurance and FREE retirement that some districts are strong armed into by contracts.

How do you get rid of a 60 year old teacher that no one wants? She makes 87K and refuses to change her methods or help slow students. Admin/Parents/Teachers want her gone but she has tenure.

SB5 was about the things that normal workers never gets a say in. These are the same things that sunk GM.

top topics

join