It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wind farms disrupting military radar?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I think that this is something to be really concerned about if it is true. The fact that these wind farms are disrupting radar from the military is alarming. I don't know know about you, but I really don't think that these wind farms are really even necessary, but thats beside the point.

The U.S. military is growing increasingly concerned that proposed wind farms can disrupt or block radar designed to detect threats and protect America's skies, a problem that is stalling the alternative energy projects around the country. Discuss COMMENTS (0) A top U.S. general told Congress on Thursday that federal agencies need to work better together on a formal vetting process for the wind projects to prevent them from being built where they will interfere with radar defenses.

While the radar interference issue is not new, it has become a bigger problem as more wind projects move through the permit process. Industry leaders and the Energy Department have said that wind power could provide as much as 20 percent of the nation's electricity by 2030.

Renuart said the North American Aerospace Defense Command, which he also heads, is putting together a radar obstruction evaluation team to determine the impacts of proposed wind energy projects in close proximity to our radars. The Pentagon released a report in 2006 detailing the concerns with the wind farms, and said the Defense Department is developing other ways to deal with the problem, including technology improvements to the radar systems.

Maybe this is just being blown out of proportion, but I think its certainly something to keep an eye on, especially since things are heating up in the middle east and other global problems. If we are truly on the verge of economic collapse, then this is not a good sign that we will be protected during a time of war. Hopefully though, they are just blowing hot air about this subject (no pun intended.).

source - www.boston.com...
edit on 5-11-2011 by Veritas1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
wow, the story says the farms could create up to 20% of america's power- that's a lot!

i'm curious as to how the turbines could affect radar, of all things. really? the wind's there whether they farm it or not. why would the turbines affect radar (i'm asking)?

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by godWhisperer

I was wondering the same thing, and I found this information....news.bbc.co.uk...

The Ministry of Defence has expressed concerns that some wind farms interfere with military radar, making aircraft flying over the turbines "invisible". But it denies opposing every planning application for new wind farm sites, saying there are many factors involved. Government energy officials say they are working with the MoD to resolve problems over the issue. It follows the government's announcement of plans to increase the number of homes powered by wind farms. Tests in 2004 and 2005 showed that wind turbines create a "hole" in radar coverage. The shadow of the blades is magnified considerably, and the movement of the propellers is visible on radar screens.

Now, this is from the bbc, and refers to the wind farms in the UK, but I suppose the same problems exist here.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Veritas1

Are they trying to say the motion of the blades is what is causing the problem?
From using military radar back in the mid 90's, that's all I could come up with.

Other than that, it sounds like "Big Oil" is at it again.

Looks like you found the answer while I sat on the reply screen thinking of possible reasons.....
good job.
edit on 5-11-2011 by Yahm16 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   

thanks, veritas! it's interesting to me. i guess the turbines actually affect the doppler, too, clearly have an effect on the surrounding atmosphere. hmmm. i'd still rather have the wind farm than a nuclear plant!

Wind Farm Interference Showing Up on Doppler Radar
edit on 11/5/11 by godWhisperer because: forgot the link

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
interesting

and i always thought windmill-rotors are made of composite materials which does not reflect radar at all.

i would suggest to improve analyzing algorithms then, blank the area in question out, or relocate the radar.
In case of military radar .. well
the military 'has concerns' .. yes..ok .. but since we have a higher defense budget than all other nations combined i'm very sure the military has a solution too, in case there's a REAL issue.

And while comparing meterological radar with advanced military equipment, i must admit that your off-the-shelf doppler looks like a Ford-T-Model compared to a Lamborghini.

So is there an issue ? my taxdollars within the defense budget say: no issue at all

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Wind farms disrupting National Security? Radar didn't help on 911 did it. Article also states that "training routes" will be affected. Read that as the real problem. That low level target runs by rookie jet pilots will crash into wind turbines... kind of like this:

new topics

top topics

join