It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4.7 In Oklahoma.. Odd to anyone else?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Another moderate quake a couple of mintues ago....looks to be in the 4.0 to 4.2 range.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

4.0 according to USGS. Also, for those who were wondering if there are any fault lines in Oklahoma, I discovered there is at least one: the Meers fault.

USGS link for Meers Fault
Partial report on Meers fault from USGS

Although, from some other stuff I've read(undocumented), the entire state is riddled with faults and Meers is the only obvious one. Can anyone confirm this info?

**edit**And now, two more: a 3.9M one occuring at approximately 4:53AM local time and a 3.4M one occuring at approximately 5:04AM local time. Which brings the grand total to 17 so far.

And ANOTHER one: 3.2M occuring at approximately 5:20AM putting us at 18.

**editx2**Okay, two more but at this point I'm not going to be giving anyone a play-by-play of the action; just get the KML for Google Earth.
edit on 11/6/2011 by Mad Simian because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
So we started this thread with the question, 'is this odd?'.....Anyone still think it is normal?

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Mad Simian

The USGS track map shows seismic activity from Oklahoma all the way over to Tennessee. Anyone want to venture a guess as to what fault line the track follows?

New Madrids.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
reply to post by Mad Simian

The USGS track map shows seismic activity from Oklahoma all the way over to Tennessee. Anyone want to venture a guess as to what fault line the track follows?

New Madrids.

agreed, this is what i posted a last month ago:

posted on 13-10-2011 @ 03:42 AM this post
Originally posted by ShortMemory
Originally posted by pointr97
has anyone looked at the US earthquakes lately.....there are a couple in odd places, such as the VA and CO/NM, that are almost spot on with the ones from last month.....There are a bunch in the US that are odd, I have a few theories but will leave them for another time. The one in SC bothers me, we just moved from there, and it is located right smack on the SRS nuc site.....Last location in the US that can weaponize material. That would not be pretty.

earthquakes all round seem to be acting a little weird recently, not trying to fear monger..
id like to hear your theories!

Been watching it only due to the guys preaching about the new madrid fault going....When the big quake struck VA(what a month ago), everyone jumped onto that whole nuc thing.....however, it was at the same latitude as the one in CO. As the pressure builds in a fault, it will send off waves that will travel until it connects with a change in density. You see this a lot in california, little quakes that not on the actual fault but a good distance away. These smaller mid-continent quakes are in locations that either do not have faults or have no history of activity. Yet they are on the new madrid side of major geological change, ie east side of the rockies. I can't explain the VA quakes, they seem to be an abnormality of the theory. However, during the last couple of months saw some minor quakes in OK on the east side of the arbuckle mountain range, where the sub-layers change drastically and in Tenn, on the west side of the blue ridge. Then there is the constant small quakes around the mississippi basin around the same latitude and depth (around 3 mi down). The topography of california is significantly different than that east of the rockies.....The energy is pretty confined along the west coast with the mountains, but on the rest of the continent. I know this is a loose theory, but they feel like precursors to something central. To support the theory, you can look at california (lots of quakes, only reason for using it), and all the quakes that are not on the fault (or close there of) are at topographical changes (where the normal sub-strata meets the mountains). It is as the waves move out horizontally until it hits a change in density and then like laser light refracts upwards. So these waves can travel a vast distance through similar topography and not be felt, then when it hits that harder rock, it rebounds upwards and is felt by the sensors. There are many examples in physics to illustrate this, but I think the ocean is the best......the energy travels along the water, but does not become evident until the depth changes and the waves start to appear at the surface. Again, just a theory, but there are just some real strange similarities in the quakes on the east side of the rockies and those east of the mississippi. You may now tear my theory apart....

edit on 6-11-2011 by pointr97 because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-11-2011 by pointr97 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Yet another one at 4.7M.

Source at USGS

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by TupacShakur

Sooooo about that hype... 28 more since I posted this one and a 5.6 here in the same area. Question is, Do you still consider it hype?

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by pointr97

People also need to keep in mind that researching fault lines is top notch for California for obvious reasons. However, the same level of research / interest slows waaay down as you move east. We still dont have all the fault lines located and tracked in the midwest.

For all we know there could be a major faultine other than new madrids in the area.

I would personally like to see afew less B-2 stealth bombers in exchange for some more research funding.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join