It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shoefly pie and Apple pandowdy!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Here you go.. recipes for both.. and the music to go to it.
My mother used to sing this song to me when I was little.. it was only when I was older that I realized the significance to the words : makes your eyes light up and your tummy say howdy! She sure as heck didnt make these dishes, but as an adult I have and they are always a HUGE hit at Thanksgiving!

Be sure to play this song when you read recipes if you REALLY wanna feel like a foodie dork.

SHOEFLY PIE
Ingredients
• Pastry for a 1-crust 9-inch pie (page 270)
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• Two-thirds cup light brown sugar, packed
• 1 rounded tablespoon cold butter
• One-fourth teaspoon salt
• 1 egg
• 1 cup light molasses
• Three-fourths cup cold water
• One-fourth cup hot water
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
Instructions
• 1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Roll out the pie pastry and line a 9-inch pie pan; set aside.
• 2. In a food processor bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, butter, and salt. Remove one-half cup of the mixture and set aside. Transfer the rest to a medium mixing bowl. In a small bowl, beat the egg lightly. Add the molasses and cold water, and blend but do not beat; you don’t want bubbles in the batter. Set aside.
• 3. In a small bowl, mix the hot water with the baking soda and blend into the molasses mixture. Add to the flour mixture and mix well. Pour into the pie shell and top with the reserved crumbs. Bake for 35 minutes. The pie will appear quivery but will firm up as it cools. Transfer to a rack to cool completely before cutting.

Apple Pandowdy

1/2 cup molasses
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
3 cups sliced, peeled apples
Bake above in a 1 1/2 qt. buttered pan at 350°F for 20 minutes.
1/2 cup milk
1 egg, beaten
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
Melt butter; add egg and milk. Add other ingredients; mix well. Pour over apples.
Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.

join