It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The power of the people....Bank-of-America-nixes-$5-debit fee.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
The american public holds more power than it realizes, they just don't know how to channel that power as a collective power.

finance.yahoo.com...

Americans have the power to vote, the power of jury nullification and where they save their money and how , where and when to spend that money.

December would be a good time to boycott the whole system since December is the biggest sales month the year.
Could americans go a month or even one week without their $6 cup of morning coffee or a fast food fix for lunch
much less do their Christmas shopping after christmas and save MORE money just to make a statement ?
Nope . Apathy is as rampant as greed and corruption. Merry Christmas !

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I just hope people stay-the-course as far as move-your-money day goes on Nov. 5th. Just becasue these aholes backed-off for the moment, you know as well as I that they are convened in some back room trying to figure out another way to skin us that is less obvious. Community banks and credit unions is the way to go. Let the big boys die in their own excrement.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
lol, so smart when you think about it. Now the bank of america can keep all the business it was going to lose by people switching over to a credit union. The only real winner here is B of A as they are the only ones that really benefit from not imposing the 5 dollar fee, they still have the money.

edit to add:
Yes the "move your money day", if these protesters are really as bad off as they claim then their lack of funds will not make a difference if withdrawn or not.
edit on 1-11-2011 by PrimalRed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by jtma508
I just hope people stay-the-course as far as move-your-money day goes on Nov. 5th. Just becasue these aholes backed-off for the moment, you know as well as I that they are convened in some back room trying to figure out another way to skin us that is less obvious. Community banks and credit unions is the way to go. Let the big boys die in their own excrement.

No doubt. I'll be so upset if this keeps people from transferring. I just went in and opened an account at a union. My wife's switching over all the bill pay stuff and, on the fifth, we are marching into our bank and taking our money out. Five dollars shouldn't be why customers are doing this anyway.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Unfortunately people no longer do things out of principal. The gullible people will eat this up and become stockholmed and not want to "hurt" the banks.

As far as I am concerned, too little too late. If I had an account I would still close, just for principal.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by OLD HIPPY DUDE

Had the very same conversation with some neighbors last night. And the word APATHY came up as the reason nobody is doing anything.

One suggestion to deal with rising fuel costs that came up in the discussion: Everyone just don't buy gas on, for example, Tuesdays. That would certainly send a message.

I think most people are just afraid to take action. Like the hobbits in the Shire, they've gotten into a comfort zone and don't want to move , hoping someone else will take care of business.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

My husband and I switched to a credit union about ten years ago. It was the best financial choice we could ever make in regards to where to bank. If possible I will never go back to a regular bank. Our interest rates have been far lower with any loan and any credit card we have gotten with them.

LOL though I do feel a bit bummed that I can't walk into one of these banks to close an account on the given day.

Though I 100% believe that these banks will just find another way to get more of our money.

Harm None
Peace
edit on 1-11-2011 by amazed because: Cause I wanted to add another thought!

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Awww. Look. BoA is running scared, the little cowards.
Wassa matta, BoA, afraid you're going to lose 50 % of your depositors to credit unions and small local banks? Wahaahaa. Well guess what, chances are, you STILL will. The people have turned against you, and it's time to die a miserable death. I hope you all lose everything you've got if you work for BoA.

They lost my business years ago.

But what I REALLY want to see happen is for the banks to cancel this stupid ass fee for cashing a non-depositor check. When I write a check (hardly do any more), I do not give permission to my bank to charge you money, just to be able to get your money. That is total BS.

edit on Tue Nov 1st 2011 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by upstairsjim

Like the hobbits in the Shire, they've gotten into a comfort zone and don't want to move , hoping someone else will take care of business.

That's a very good analogy. Bravo!

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

A minor, minor victory. We will get those in order to placate us. We need to end the Fractional Reserve Banking system of all banks, and the No Reserve Banking system of the Federal Reserve System, which is ironically owned by the biggest of the users of the Fractional Reserve Banking system. A brief look at how the two operate will demonstrate clearly to anyone that this is fraudulence which outstrips any we have seen before, and shows how stupid we have become to allow the banker bailout of 2008. And we have not even touched on what caused the bailout which was fraudulent as well.

We need an honest game now and should not rest until we have it.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Ittabena

I just want to point out that none of us 'allowed' any bank bailout. We were never consulted and had no voice. The Bush administration ram-rodded that through Congress under threat of financial armeggedon in such haste that hardly any conditions were placed on it. An oversight that twisted waht was already deeply inserted in our collective behind. And then the Obama adminsitration just continued the process --- since it had worked so well the first time.

Nope, as usual we had no say in the matter. These are decisions the 'grownups' make for us.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by OLD HIPPY DUDE
The american public holds more power than it realizes, they just don't know how to channel that power as a collective power.

finance.yahoo.com...

Americans have the power to vote, the power of jury nullification and where they save their money and how , where and when to spend that money.

December would be a good time to boycott the whole system since December is the biggest sales month the year.
Could americans go a month or even one week without their $6 cup of morning coffee or a fast food fix for lunch
much less do their Christmas shopping after christmas and save MORE money just to make a statement ?
Nope . Apathy is as rampant as greed and corruption. Merry Christmas !

Your OP is contradictory. First you tell us how we HAVE the power, and we actually got something changed...an evil bank actually listened to the consumers.

Then you tell us that Americans are too apathetic to make a difference.

Which is it?

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by GeorgiaGirl

Your OP is contradictory. First you tell us how we HAVE the power, and we actually got something changed...an evil bank actually listened to the consumers.

Then you tell us that Americans are too apathetic to make a difference.

Which is it?

This is about OWS as long as it uses the words "evil","power","people","Big", "business","bank" or corporation" then it does not have to make sense. Watch

Power to the people! Bring down big corporations and fascist banks for FREEDOM!!!

Now put that on a sign and you are a revolutionary.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by GeorgiaGirl

You have selected comprehention as most do .
The power is there, but people don't know how to utilize that power collectively.
B of A's choice to not follow through with it's $5 fee is a set back not a loss and it's no win for the people.

Half of americans don't know when their being lied to and the other half don't care, of course there is a small %
like yourself that doesn't know whats going on.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by OLD HIPPY DUDE
reply to post by GeorgiaGirl

You have selected comprehention as most do .
The power is there, but people don't know how to utilize that power collectively.
B of A's choice to not follow through with it's $5 fee is a set back not a loss and it's no win for the people.

Half of americans don't know when their being lied to and the other half don't care, of course there is a small %
like yourself that doesn't know whats going on.

I beg to differ. You presented it as "the power of the people"...in fact, that is the title of the thread. That phraseology has a POSITIVE connotation....when is "the power of the people" NOT meant to imply that people have done somthing worthwhile, by banding together?

Then you talked about the apathy of the people.

Is it POWER of the people, or APATHY of the people?

To me, that is contradictory. I don't see how that is a comprehension failure on my part.

And at least I can spell comprehension.....

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Spelling it and doing it are two different things.

new topics

top topics

join