It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What I love about this country

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Ya know what I love about my country? You can drive one of these and manage to barely pay your bills.

In the 90s you could do it and not go broke!

What do you love about your country? With all the complaining around here, especially from me, this is one thing I'm happy about. We have cars/trucks with real engines, and we can put petrol (gas for you Americans) in them.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I love this song

The Grimace

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/db3c9d0f84c4.jpg[/atsimg]

And YOU GUYS.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Gosh guys, no one loves anything about their country? The floor is open. Let's all NOT complain about our country and say something nice about it.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
This country is a wonderful place with a billion admirable attributes and a standard of living (for most) that is the envy of many places in the world. But it’s not perfect, either. The number one thing I love about it is that we are free to point out things like that, not only free to do it but it is actually considered our patriotic duty to do it.

This is a country that was founded and had its principles written by rebels, malcontents, dissenters, generals; not the pussies who we have in office today. Those guys were ready to kill for their right to think differently, and did.

I admit to being somewhat ambivalent about America. I love the idea of it with all my heart. It is, without doubt, the best and most humane system of government ever devised. The problem is that we let human beings run it and humans are, by definition, fallible and motivated by petty agenda.

This country tends to embrace a very narrow and mean-spirited ethic that flies right in the face of everything this country is SUPPOSED to be about. "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses" it says on the statue. But we cyclically adopt a group-think about "our poor, our huddled masses" that casts them as nothing more than a drag on those of us who have "made it".

We profess to revere the concept of "single mothers" but treat them, on an individual basis, as welfare cheats just looking for a way to scam a free lunch out of the REAL Americans, those of us who live, sometimes, only one lost paycheck away from the same circumstances.

WE have amazing bounty in this country, amazing freedoms that the rest of the world either yearns for or reviles as "American Excess" - and, from those who revile them, their revulsion is the surest way to KNOW that we're thinking straight.

But we constantly undercut our own values and the very existence of people who consider Americans who think and feel differently about this country than they and their Fox New-watching buddies do as "traitors" and "turncoats" is the most certain indicator that our values have slipped several notches.

I wait with great hope that this momentary aberration in our society - born and bred by the "conservative revolution" - will pass and we'll get back to EARNING the respect of the world, rather than telling them that there's a New Sheriff in Town and It's the Same Old Sheriff it Always Was.

In the meantime, a few things I love about America:

American Football, uncensored music, the freedom to tell my president to F off and not get in trouble for it, endless opportunities and the freedom to get out and do something when I want change. Yes, I love being able to own as many gas guzzling cars/trucks as I damn well please!

Last, I think your post was meant to be light-hearted so... sorry if I got too serious

top topics

join