It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meet Sheriff Joe Arpaio

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Meet Joe Arpaio

This is sort of a rehash of several threads and a little new information. I received an email with a list of outrageous things that Sheriff Joe has done and decided to pass it along (and include some cool pictures). I hope you'll enjoy reading about him as much as I did.

EDIT TO ADD: I found the source of the email.

Sheriff Joe painted the jail cells pink and made his prisoners wear pink jumpsuits:

Source

Sheriff Joe saves Maricopa County $15 million a year by taking over the county animal shelter.

The animal shelters are now all staffed and operated by prisoners. They feed and care for the strays. Every animal in his care is taken out and walked twice daily. He now has prisoners who are experts in animal nutrition and behavior. They give great classes for anyone who'd like to adopt an animal. He has literally taken stray dogs off the street, given them to the care of prisoners, and had them place in dog shows.

The prisoners get the benefit of about $0.28 an hour for working, but most would work for free, just to be out of their cells for the day. Most of his budget is for utilities, building maintenance, etc. He pays the prisoners out of the fees collected for adopted animals.

Sheriff Joe creates a vegetable/livestock farm:

I have long wondered when the rest of the country would take a look at the way he runs the jail system and copy some of his ideas. He has a huge farm, donated to the county years ago, where inmates can work, and they grow most of their own fresh vegetables and food, doing all the work and harvesting by hand.

He has a pretty good sized hog farm, which provides meat and fertilizer. It fertilizes the Christmas tree nursery, where prisoners work, and you can buy a living Christmas tree for $6 - $8 for the holidays and plant it later. We have six trees in our yard from the prison.

Joe gets reelected with 83% of the vote but still has problems with the ACLU:

Yup, he was re-elected last year with 83% of the vote. Now he's in trouble with the ACLU again. He painted all his buses and vehicles with a mural that has a special hotline phone number painted on it, where you can call and report suspected illegal aliens. Immigrations and Customs Enforcement wasn't doing enough in his eyes, so he had 40 deputies trained specifically for enforcing immigration laws, started up his hotline, and bought 4 new buses just for hauling folks back to the border. He's kind of a 'Git-R Dun' kind of Sheriff.

So, that's a lil more on Sheriff Joe. Does anyone else have any information to add? What do the ATS members think about this guy?

Related Posts

Obama Birth Certificate Investigation
Sheriff Joe - Border Security
16th Immigration Sweep

Here he is called a NWO shill by an ATS member

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by freakjive

I might be the minority in this opinion, but I like him. He seems to be trying to do the right thing. Showing criminals that there's more to life than violence and law breaking.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I'm confused as to what the point of painting the cells pink and making them wear pink jumpsuits is other than a laughable attempt at psychological torture.

Personally, I think his methods are probably effective, but I also think it goes without saying that the dude has a few screws loose.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evolutionsend

I might be the minority in this opinion, but I like him. He seems to be trying to do the right thing. Showing criminals that there's more to life than violence and law breaking.

Well, I'm right there with you. I think his methods are out there but nothing else seems to work, as the prison system is simply a revolving door. I personally like the guy. He's doing what he can and what he thinks is right.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I was living in Phoenix when Joe Arpaio was first elected.

I liked him then and I like him now.

You may not agree with him but you have to respect him as he is a straight shooter and stays true to his beliefs.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
That's awesome!

Especially wearing pink and coloring everything pink. It is psychological control.

And giving inmates jobs running the animal shelter?

Animals can have great effects on humans. a few days in the puppy pound and I doubt the hardest of criminals would not smile.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkblade71
And giving inmates jobs running the animal shelter?

Animals can have great effects on humans. a few days in the puppy pound and I doubt the hardest of criminals would not smile.

Such a good point! I've always been an advocate for the prison dog system. Such a great way for some to learn responsibility, humility and compassion...plus less stray dogs and euthanizations!

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
I'm confused as to what the point of painting the cells pink and making them wear pink jumpsuits is other than a laughable attempt at psychological torture.

In a nutshell, yes.

He professes that jail is supposed to suck hence pink undershorts, green bologna sack lunches and tents with no air conditioners set up in a dirt lot surrounded by prison wire in the middle of the Sonoran desert.

Believe it or not Sherrif Arpaio has an exceptional repoir with the inmate population.

His method and attitude would be inappropriate in any kind of larger capacity but he does very well by everyone as Sheriff of Maricopa county.

edit on 28-10-2011 by Drunkenparrot because: sp

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I like him too, never really understood what the beef with him is. If the voters of Maricoppa county have an issue with him, thats one thing, but he's releected every time with ease.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Sheriff Joe is , I think, the last of the "big tough guys"

My grandad was probably 290, grey haired,

And nobody said nothing out of the way with him.

If somebody had an issue, all they had to do was say Hey, big john, can I have a word?

Grandad was like ok whats goin on, big teddy bear haha

But dang don't start with him tryin to be hard, he'd enjoy handing your @$$ to you just as much.

(or as they say nowadays...Don't Come At Me Bro!)

Anyway, methinks we need more big tough guys.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
It's hard to understand, but some folk don't mind going back to jail when they can play cards and/or watch t.v. etc.

But if you have to work and wear pink...well a percentage of the folk will decide it's time for a more lawful career.

Go Joe.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Remeber.. these are not PRISONERS.. this is simply the county jail and these are low level offenders, from unpaid traffic fines to low level drug possession.

Hardened felons do not do time in a county jail. They are sentenced to a PRISON.. BIG difference guys.

You don't go to jail for murder, you go to prison.
You don't go to prison for unpaid speeding tickets, you go to jail.

Now.. what Sherrif joe has done is create a slave labor system in his county, by contracting forced jail inmate labor work out to private intrest.
This is what the old chain gangs in the dep south did int hre 20s and 30s.

Alma Minerva Chacon, who was detained while 9-months pregnant, was terrorized by Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio. The night she was arrested, Chacon went into labor and rushed to a hospital with her hands and legs chained in shackles.

Nurses begged the Sheriff's staff unchain Alma, but they refused and Chacon was forced to give birth while still shackled to the bed. They even denied the nurse's request to release her to go to the bathroom for a urinalysis.

As if that was bad enough, after Chacon gave birth to her baby girl, she was still chained to the bed, and the police staff refused to let Chacon hold her own newborn baby and warned her that if no one came to pick up the child within 72 hours, the child would be turned over into state custody.

www.ranker.com...

For some reason, it was decided by Joe's officers that it was necessary to put Richard Post, a paraplegic man with special needs, in an almost-Guantanamo-Bay-style restraint chair, after he got "unruly" because he pleaded with captors for need of a catheter with which to urinate.

He spent four hours in the chair begging to be released because a paraplegic's body would most likely suffer very serious injuries if kept in a position like this.

When they heard these cries, Sheriff Joe's department of torturers decided to up the ante a little bit on Richard Post's time in the chair: they tightened the restraints as hard as they could, effectively breaking Richard Post's neck.

Apparantly Sherriff Joe's Ideas do not work.

Violent Crime is down in AZ..except for Maricopa County.
And Joe has cost his county over 43 MILLION dollars in lawsuits.

hisArizona Gov. Jan Brewer’s claims about illegal immigrants and violent crime have been pretty thoroughly debunked, but pro-reform non-profit America’s Voice takes it one step further, circulating a graph today indicating that Arizona’s SB 1070 could actually increase crime in the state. The graph shows rates of violent crime in Arizona jurisdictions from 2002 to 2009. Violent crime rates are all down — statewide numbers included — except for in Maricopa County, the jurisdiction of pro-enforcement Sheriff Joe Arpaio. Crime in Arpaio’s county has gone up 58 percent since 2002, according to America’s Voice data.

washingtonindependent.com...

washingtonindependent.com...

The Last thing we need is more crooked, sick Sherrifs like Joe Apraio.

edit on 10/28/1111 by BadNinja68 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Joe Arpaio FOR PRESIDENT!

Seriously, he could come in and whomp the other GOP candidates!

I'd vote for him!

PS - And Clint Eastwood as Secretary of Defense.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I like that the jail looks so nice and he treats inmates like humans, animals are a great way to heal your mind and the animals get some love while saving tax dollars, I like the farm idea too (don't let monsanto know bout it though, lol). I don't know about any of the rest of it. But those things I mentioned should be an example nationwide, maybe we wouldn't have so many repeat offenders.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   

edit on 10/28/2011 by freakjive because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I lived in Phoenix for over decade with this guy. Here's why most people that vote like him. There are a lot of republican voters in Maricopa county, many of them are very old retirees. They feel no punishment is too harsh for a dirty criminal or illegal. They look at Joe as the great equalizer in an unfair world.

If you tell them a great many of the inmates are non-violent pot smokers and that these stupid laws ruin their lives and actually turn them into legitimate full time criminals afterwards they will tell you they don't care, they just like him. They don't want to think about any of the unfair or negative things, only what they like. They are largely scared little people that want big bad Joe to protect them.

I like many of his ideas, I also think many of them are just stupid and self serving and can't stand him personally because of an arrogance that you've only seen a slight hint of. I know him and I can tell you he and his "team" are some of the most corrupt departments you will find. He has been under investigation almost constantly from the start, but I guess it's all just nonsense right? wrong, the guy is dirty, but he's smart and has some very important friends backing him.

Anyone who says things like "he's a straight shooter" or the like is either completely ignorant to the real Joe or doesn't mind complete corruption and abuse of power. Jesus people need to stop watching TV.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   

I will like him running for higher up in the government.

Still what he is doing is enforcing laws that are already established by the federal government and in states that obviously the whores in congress have disregarded thanks to their pimps corporate America.

Plain and simple, that is why the federal government can not get him.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by BadNinja68
Remeber.. these are not PRISONERS.. this is simply the county jail and these are low level offenders, from unpaid traffic fines to low level drug possession.

No, they are prisoners.

Hardened felons do not do time in a county jail. They are sentenced to a PRISON.. BIG difference guys.

Incorrect, because a number of them HAVE been to prison before and for the others: It will SAVE some from prison when they are not only in jail but have to work too.

Our jail systems take a heavy toll on tax payer money and the Sheriff's system makes them contribute to the burden.

The Sheriff needs to be watched to make sure their general welfare is well taken care of, but other than that it's not only a deterrent to future crime but also relieves the citizenry of footing the bill for the offenders 'debt' to society.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evolutionsend

Personal experience in the LE community in AZ is watch your back.
Phoenix seems to be the only non hostile department, if you don't agree with the majority on personal ideas.

Now the Sheriffs Department, make no joke about it. They don't take crap from any of the inmates.
But, I have known several LEO run out of town because they wouldn't back Sheriff Joe.

Blade has double edges I guess.

But the Saturday morning chain gang cleanups in downtown Phoenix are a sight to see.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
joe is regularly ranked the most corrupt sheriff in the US. He is featured in almost every documentary on police abuse, and has had multiple inmates die due to his policies. Further, when I lived in phoenix, i recall a man ran against him for sheriff, and he had that man arrested....then when the bird, a local newspaper, did an expose on all his criminal actions, he had the owners of that newspaper arrested too, and continued to harrass them afterwards. He is a signature example of authoritarian abuse of priveledge, and a shining example of what is wrong with our country.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join