It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Madoff says he is happier in prison than free

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Madoff says he is happier in prison than free

www.reuters.com

Walters said Madoff speaks of being happier now because for the first time in 20 years he has no fear of being arrested.

"I feel safer here than outside," Madoff told Walters.

Mark Madoff's widow Stephanie said in interviews ahead of the publication of her book that Madoff had boasted in a letter to her of being treated like a celebrity, and Walters corroborated this, saying that he told her the prisoners, "especially the younger ones," treat him with respect.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Bernie Madoff Exclusive: Barbara Walters' Firsthand Account

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   
so jail isn't so bad for madoff... haha... now life is good? i thought he was suppose to be punished... but i've also heard that people in prison treat him like a king... just out of respect in the criminal world for his "accomplishments".... so does this make you mad, no affect, or props to the king of scams?

the other thread has a different take on the walters interview

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
I feel his pain

He is free now that he is no longer under pressure to produce

Madoff has retired and gone fishing

They got Al Capone as well you know.

Did you know that Capone was declared mentally incompetant, by his doctor, to carry on his career in the mob after his release imprisonment?

Ref: en.wikipedia.org...

The communists always win

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by 11azerus11

What good is punishing him futher. He is spending the next 150 years in prison. A prison should be there to keep people removed from society that are a danger to it.. You dont need 2 punish further.. Would you become a monster to fight a monster..?

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by InformationAccount
I feel his pain

He is free now that he is no longer under pressure to produce

Madoff has retired and gone fishing

They got Al Capone as well you know.

Did you know that Capone was declared mentally incompetant, by his doctor, to carry on his career in the mob after his release imprisonment?

The communists always win

You learn something new everyday around here, the post prison situation of Al Capone none the less.

For some reason I had been under the impression Capone died in prison from complications of his advanced syphilis.

Thank you for the correction

From the wiki link...

In 1946, his physician and a Baltimore psychiatrist performed examinations and concluded that Capone then had the mental capability of a 12-year-old child.

He often raved about Communists, foreigners, and Bugs Moran, whom he was convinced was plotting to kill him from his Ohio prison cell.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   
This is the mentality of these crooks. They are just so backwards on absolutely everything that now even jail is fun to them. They need to lock this kook up in the mental home.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Madoff is obviously in the wrong prison. He needs to be in one of those huge mega prisons, where you have to fight for your position on the bunk with a bunch of gang bangers.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   
i guess madoff is not high in the i.q. department. if he had a fear of getting caught, here's a brilliant tactic. stop running ponzi schemes.

like some sort of mayan magic, the fear disappears.

being looked on like a king by rapists, child molesters, murderers and drug dealers is not a compliment.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by InformationAccount

Capone did NOT continue his criminal career after he was paroled. Says so right in your link. He WAS mentally incompetent due to untreated syphilis, that's why his doctor declared him such.

After his release he lived out his remaining days in Florida.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Couple of things here...

First of all, it's important to remember that, sick as it sounds, Madoff is relatively small fry in the grand scheme of things. People who've swindled the system for orders of magnitude more are walking around free and easy...and giving themselves record bonuses from taxpayer bailout money. Madoff was a marginal character...he wasn't juiced in to the "white shoe" banks or connected with the major investment houses or hedge fund superstars...Madoff richly deserves his sentence, but lets not forget: by focusing on him, the true culprits give the impression that justice has been done when really it's only the tiniest tip of the iceberg.

Be that as it may, his case is interesting as a poster boy for the crisis...he's got to show a little swagger to keep up his "rep" in prison -- that is seriously vital for someone in his position so don't forget what he says is to a large degree calculated to give a certain impression to some powerful inmates. Count on it. Beyond that he strikes me as a typical compulsive and probably somewhere on the narcissist-sociopath spectrum...it doesn't surprise me that this personality type would have trouble quitting his scheme even though intellectually he knew it would eventually blow up in his face. Typical behavior pattern for an addictive personality; the only thing different in his case was the magnitude.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Exellent post.

Star for that, very well said indeed

new topics

top topics

join