It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

#Occupy...Your Own Self

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
And so I have sat here these past few years, looking, watching observing and noting. Personally I have had losses of jobs, income, savings, social life, utilities, meals, creature comforts that make life..well, life. I have also had gains of jobs, income, entertainment, authority, friendships...things that make life worth living.

Blessings and Setbacks. I could compose a list of all the pros and cons and dwell upon it. I could revel in past fame and current glories. I could wallow in the sorrows of being a good person yet still alone the majority of my adult life.

But I don't do these things often. Sometimes, sure. We all do. It is called taking stock of your current position and comparing it to how things were and how you would like them to become. That is natural and normal behavior of human beings.

What I have not done is become caught up in movements and causes that are other people's ambitions. I respect the TEA Party movement and agree with some of their messages. I respect the Occupy Movement and some of their messages (those that are coherently expressed anyway). But I do not affiliate with either of them. Because they are other people's ambitions and have murky origins and goals.

The government and responsibility are like oil and water. They simply do not mix. The government is supposed to do specific things under specific rules and spends most of its time either shirking their duties or finding ways to engage in other activities beyond their mandate.

I see and have heard murmurings of revolution, mostly as a means of punishment or revenge against the all encompassing “THEM” be it government or corporations or specific industries such as finance. I understand that anger, frustration and resentment. I have expressed similar thoughts while venting my anger as well. But before we gun them all down, let's explore some solutions to varied problems first and see how that might play out shall we?

Jobs and finding employment:

It is a fact that there is going to be 470 job openings in November 2012. Requirements for the positions are varied as there are three types of positions here, but most requirements are of age and residency restrictions. All positions require relocation to Washington DC and many, many expenses are covered. Job competition for these positions is light as there are typically only 940-1200 people applying for them. Prime healthcare and retirement benefits are included as well as a huge amount of vacation time, most of it paid and a considerable salary is included. In order to fully qualify for the positions you need to start the application process now. And yes, I personally am thinking about trying for one of the lower level positions, but have not decided as of yet.

Another option is self-employment. If you can afford say $50 on a X-Box game why not instead spend that $50 on something productive like say fishing line and beads. String up a few bracelets and necklaces and sell them amongst the protestors themselves. Price them for what you figure to be three times the cost to make the item. That way you can have $50 for the beads, $50 for future products such as T-Shirts and $50 for your own pocket. You may have to sell a few rounds of beads to have the capital for T-Shirts but you are making money in the meantime and reinvesting in yourself. But that is how capitalism works and that is such a bad word. And yes, I considered walking the woods for decent branches and carving tobacco pipes and selling them to a local retailer for $5-$10 depending on how many they wanted and what they thought they could sell them for retail. I have made several for friends over the years that I have given away that they figured to be worth anywhere from $20-$50 retail depending on the level of carving done to the bowl.

And yes, I do have a job now. Two of them in fact. The pay is somewhat low but together they bring in more than enough to put some of it back for savings. Sure, I do work 50-60 hours six and seven days a week and yes, I do not watch TV nor hang out with friends. But I still manage to have time for ATS and do two radio shows each week which take up about six hours out of the 168 hours we all have each week. But it is something that I enjoy doing. And if you subtract the time driving to and from work as well as eating, I still have 30 some hours of free time. Of which ATS takes the lion's share.

Ultimately we all have the same equal footing in that we have 168 hours each week to spend on how we chose to spend it. Sure, there are those that have the advantage of more money. But here in the US, we are free to advance ourselves without restriction. There is no class of people that are barred from working towards their goals. But like any society there are some rule as opposed to total anarchy. Yes, I would enjoy having a cabin in the woods. Which means I need to buy the land. I can either save up for it or take out a loan. Saving takes time, but is far cheaper in the long run as there is no loan repayment and the money that I would be paying on that loan can be placed in my own pocket.

Some people would like to see a reset button pressed. The best analogy I have read is that it is like joining a game of Monopoly already in progress and we have to pay to everyone that has bought all the property and the banker tends to cheat. Except that in life, there are other properties and opportunities out there. I guess what I am getting to is that you don't have to be the lead singer in a successful band so long as you take the time and effort to learn how to play your guitar in order to be in that successful band. It is by your own efforts that you can ultimately succeed or fail. And often times that success is by your own standards anyway.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

Good analogy on the band. One problem though. Generally the good rock bands require the lead singer to be competent at guitar, and the lead guitarist to be amazing. The same thing is happening in life. Higher expectations, lower or the same compensation (which is the same as lower). Opportunity exists, but the fact is that it's getting harder to find, not that it was ever easy.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I am used to having threads come out as DOA. But the lack of commentary does surprise memthis time. Self-determination was the founding principal of the US. Have we as a nation fallen to the point that we must have others provide for us to feel like we have worth?

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

thank you for this thread. really and truly from the bottom of my heart. thank you. i couldn't have said it better myself.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I think i'm just as disappointed that this topic didn't get much discussion as you are. i guess people don't like to look at it that way. Everyone seems to be looking for someone to blame but like was said in V for Vendetta

How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

In order for there to be a true revolution it must also be a revolution of self. Each and every individual will determine the outcome, but most people don't like to look at themselves in that light. it's easier to blame everyone else and not oneself.

new topics

top topics

join