It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Paranoia Intrinsic To Conspiracy Belief?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Hey all,

I'm not one for long, drawn out posts so I'll get straight to the point. As the thread title states, is paranoia, in varying degrees, part and parcel of conspiracy belief?

Without a touch of paranoia would we still hold the same level of interest in all things conspiracy? Personally speaking I think that at least a little paranoia is essential for our natural defences, but again, are those into conspiracy more paranoid than someone not? I'm not even sure if this thread asks something obvious, something everyone already, silently acknowledges but also I'm wondering how many people are aware of their own paranoia?

We've all seen posts by some people who display severe signs of paranoia but they seem few and far between, I'm talking about the A.T.S masses.

Are the natural defences of a conspiracy theorist just naturally hightened or is it something that happens after the introduction of conspiracy?

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   
lack of knowledge is the only thing that is intrinsic to conspiracy belief..
if there was transparency there wouldnt be conspiracy

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Hawkwind.

I'm not even sure if this thread asks something obvious

Paranoia is not exclusive to conspiracy. You can be in war paranoid about getting shot in the head.
The more you know about something the more you think about it.
So you're asking the obvious. Paranoia is normal.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Explanation: Great Question! S&F!

No, as only a passing interest in the subject will suffice!

Personal Disclosure: BUT, the 'Tin Foil Hat' IS Mandatory!!!

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

BUT, the 'Tin Foil Hat' IS Mandatory!!!

Indeed.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Absolutely not. Acting like adults can't meet in private and talk about things they might not want others to hear, is not a conspiracy. That we are lied to often can make one paranoid some. Doesn't have to. Reasoning can win out over emotion in all of this.

The Conspiracy in many cases is simply that people have been tricked into believing it's not true. Some of the "Official" stories require paranoia and lack of perspective to believe.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   
I believe in conspiracies but I am far from being paranoid. In fact, I don't have any fears. Why exactly should you be afraid of conspiracies?

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by wavemaker

It's not about being scared of conspiracies or the consequences of being into conspiracies. I'm just wondering if there's something slightly different in common, psychologically, about people who are into conspiracies. Paranoia may manifest itself into what feels like raised awareness for instance, is that possible?

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 06:14 AM
link   
I think people mistakenly feel that someone willing to question things equals paranoia. Makes it easier to ignore.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by thejlxc
I think people mistakenly feel that someone willing to question things equals paranoia. Makes it easier to ignore.

Some people probably do but people like that usually have their heads buried in the sand. I believe we should question everything.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   
I think it depends on how someone comes about to believe in a particular conspiracy theory.

The self-proclaimed, Dale Gribble-type, ''conspiracy theorist'', who sees a conspiracy in absolutely everything, and who believes in an alternative version of events out of pure faith, wishful thinking and confirmation bias - rather than logic and valid evidence - is generally paranoid and deluded.

Whereas someone who analyses every situation and event, drawing their conclusions objectively and logically, and who, following this process, forms a position which happens to be generally considered a conspiracy theory, is not unduly paranoid.

edit on 25-10-2011 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   

I agree Hawkwind. I only "believe" things that are confirmed five ways to sunday and by personal observation and thinking. I question myself all the time. Questioning is rational.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

A fine line there my friend, a fine line. Best to question.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Maybe those who are always shouting "the sky is falling" are the ones who are paranoid. They are always looking for ways to scare themselves. Then again, there are also those who do not believe in conspiracies who also like to scare themselves. So paranoia is for everyone and not just for conspiracy theorists.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes
I think it depends on how someone comes about to believe in a particular conspiracy theory.

The self-proclaimed, Dale Gribble-type ''conspiracy theorist'', who sees a conspiracy in absolutely everything, and who believes in an alternative version of events out of pure faith, wishful thinking and confirmation bias - rather than logic and valid evidence - is generally paranoid and deluded.

Whereas someone who analyses every situation and event, drawing their conclusions objectively and logically, and who, following this process, forms a position which happens to be generally considered a conspiracy theory, is not unduly paranoid.

edit on 25-10-2011 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

Great post. (again
)

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
The only real reason these conspiracies exist is because of the lack of truth in what we have been told to believe. It is in some peoples nature to question the big things in life, then there are others who are perfectly content with the way things are. A good conspiracy opens up a whole new world of knowledge, the more you dig, the more you learn, the more you know.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Paranoia

1 : a psychosis characterized by systematized delusions of persecution or grandeur usually without hallucinations
2 : a tendency on the part of an individual or group toward excessive or irrational suspiciousness and distrustfulness of others

I don't feel like the majority of ATS members fit these definitions. We might have a small percentage. But then, applying these definitions to someone is a very subjective judgement.

Still, I understand your question OP. And I do believe the conspiracy crowd has a leaning toward cynicism and skepticism of anything "official". Whether or not we are excessive or irrational depends on which government agency or media outlet you ask.

edit on 10/25/2011 by Klassified because: eta

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   

I believe paranoia is STEMMED from conspiracy, depending on the idea in question, or it's weight in profundity. It's CURIOSITY that tends to drive my peruse of conspiracy related material. Paranoia leaves a bad taste in my mouth. To me, it speaks fear of the unknown and of what one can't rap their hands around.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Paranoia is a little harsh, But saying that it depends on the conspiracy being committed. 9/11 was a conspiracy that has made many paranoid because of the magnitude of the event. Being a coup imo. However the moon landings is a conspiracy theory that doesnt have the same effect.

People only get paranoid when threatened.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   

yes

top topics

join