It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New type of computer virus

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   
So I was thinking of the computer virus that hit the centrifuge plant in Iran. The whole idea made me chuckle. But then I started thinking.....A new type of computer virus. I know it is probably not an original thought but how about this. A virus that can be transmitted and infect computers through the electrical system. By that I mean it's power cord. I know many will say it can't be done. But if you can think of it, then it probably can be done to some extent.

Imagine. A virus that can be introduced to the power grid. A smart one that is designed to search out a specific type of computer to infest and disrupt it's functions.

And EMP's don't count.

So what do you all think? Is it to crazy or really impossible?

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   
not likely
the power input is not a data input.
its just not going to happen
the closest you could come to that is sending a power surge down a line
and overloading some equipment but that is not a virus
edit on 25-10-2011 by ELahrairah because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Power-line networking

It's not as crazy as you might think.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by litterbaux

Then that could imply there would be no firewall. All computers could be infected if they were plugged into the power grid.

Are we going to have to take our computers off grid also if this happens.

That would mean we would have to run them off a generator if at night, which would cause more carbon pollution, more global warming.....

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Some computers like Apples, laptops, Gaming platforms, or some new monitors have a box on the powercord that converts 110V AC.....to the DC current required.

It's feasible to put a small board with a wireless card INSIDE that box......with a sole purpose to scan for open wireless devices, connect, and infect...or return found information to the host.

That's how you'd do it. Through the powercord. Those boxes are completely sealed and nobody would ever think to tear one apart to see if there's spy gear inside....or a device to feed out virus's....or spy on you.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   
reply to post by subcsailor

Then that could imply there would be no firewall. All computers could be infected if they were plugged into the power grid.
You could still have a firewall. If you connected to the internet through the power lines it wouldn't be much different as connecting through the phone lines. Unless your computer has a way of interpreting the data sent via the power lines there's no way you could be hacked through the power lines. When you are connected to the internet via the phone lines you can be hacked. It would be the same thing for any computer connected to the internet through power lines. But for any computer not capable of transmitting or receiving data through the power lines, they wouldn't be able to be hacked through the power lines.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Actually, your dangerously correct.
A Target Building is basically an antennae array. The general conduit is copper.
Electricity is (Well we don't really know what it is now do we),or shall I say, can be manipulated through
frequencies. Microfrequencies can be transmitted across the array along with the main Alternating Current
Frequencies. Piggy Backed if you like,(but that is not completely accurate).There are black spots in standard construction. (Random Faraday Cages).
But these generally occur by accident, or by anomolies interfering with electron flow.
Regardless, for the best transmission to occur, a solid connection with the "ground" must be interconnected.
In other words, to perform a mission that is of the caliber that you describe, you have to risk engineers on
site to "dial in" the ground/earth conduit. Even if you sent "Rods from God" someone with balls of steel
has to dial it in. That is a magic art in itself. Generally performed at night. So you could call it Black Magic.
Best Regards, Wildmanimal

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Binary virus.

Infect a computer with a virus (1) that does not activate until the power coming in (at a normal frequency) alters it's frequency by a predetermined amount (2)

Ta-daaa!

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

Very intelligent observation. "Hidden in Plain Sight" no less. You are the first person on this site
that has presented that, as far as I know. Heck, who questions a power cord? They just plug it in
and could care less. Scary isn't it?

Happy Halloween!
Wildmanimal

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   
computers run on a lower voltage than the mains, this is achieved by using a transformer, this means there is no direct connection from the mains to the computer.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Power input works on the random flow of electrons, data input works in a diffrent way. That said however, with the introduction of quantum computing it may not be too long before we see quantum based viruses which maybe impossible to eradicate

Its facinating you have posted this, I am right at this minute writing an assembly program that injects code into the .text section of PE files. If you want to infect specific computers, say bank computers for example, you first should infect a base computer that holds addresses of other networked pcs.

You could really mess up things simply by writing an application that reads all files on bank pcs and changes any instances of currency, for example, if you find a file with $20 just change the $20 to $20,000, lol.

It will soon make any accounts and transactions completely redundant

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   

A virus is just programming. You can't program a computer through it's power supply except in a sci-fi movie. No it's not possible.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Thank you all for your insight. I know it is a subject of sci-fi, pie-in-the-sky thinking but so were cell phones at one time.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I don't know if this is already known or not but I suspect that the USB chargers used with modern cell phones can and do transmit viruses.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 05:15 AM
link   

I'm thinking of toy train sets (made by Hornby/Tri-ang) some years ago. Sorry for this being vague, I didn't purchase it at the time. Several locomotives could be on one piece of rail, yet only one specified one would move when requested. Each locomotive was fitted with a "sensor" of some sort which "read" the power supply.

therefore "data" was being carried on the power supply. (as the only connection between the locomotives and the controller was metal rails).

therefore: if a power supply supply can carry data, it could also carry a rogue data aka virus?

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   

I had the same thought, because I had something interesting happening on my MBPro with the power cord. I was having some problems on my Mac and noticed the light on the power cord blinking ever so lightly. So I pulled it free and the interference with the computer's operation stopped.

I immediately went and did a search under (power line and internet access) and discover this technology has been around for at least 8 years. Here's an article from 2004: computer.howstuffworks.com...

This is the same technology they are using with the new Smart Meters they are putting on your house. It's suppose to be able to identify the phones you use and every device you have in your house. So can just the power company access your internal power using devices? Good Question! Can they access your computer operation with the radio waves they are using? That's essentially what the internet is.

Virus through this means? Why not? What Virus Protection is in place against the power supply?

edit on 14-12-2012 by sungazer33 because: Additional thought.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by TheMindWar

hello my friend i am from greece excuse my english but the reason i send you this either you believe it or not thats not my point is that i wanted to discuse my problem with my pcs about ayear know.first i bought a pc from a knewspapper a year ago beacuse it was on a good price,but unffurtenelly that was the biggest mistake(i was knew in pcs world that time,but that choise it has a possitive side that i learned since then about computer viruses what they can do or canot do,the second i reallised that they can do anything,hahah!!!)so that pc has a virus i thought that time even in bios but it was not only in bios i will explain next.so i bought a knew pc a g.b mobo and amd guad core,and beacuse i knew that in a closed cd cant get a virus i put it on my knew pc.the second mistake my knew p.c got infected so i bought a knew mobo and i keeped only ram cpu and psu from the old(because i didnt knew that those parts can be infected)so the knew mobo had the same symptoms and got infected too.then i was completely craze!!!so after a couple of bad technisians with no results, i deside to buy a knew pc!so i bought it the same brand but i make my third mistake and i keeped from the old the power suplly only and knew programs and a knew huawei broadband even my tv was knew, as you not expect my knew pc got infected by the power suplly i keeped from the old.my led tv ithink too but not sure.so i tried via internet to find information thats why i post you when i read your comments.to chat with somebody beacuse i am seek of this technology,but interesting.so dont believe any technisians telling you what can and what cant viruses do.the 95%dont know.buy and be carefull

Text Red

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 07:05 AM
link   

I think it would be a great Maguffin for a James Bond movie, but even if you could modulate a power source any way you want, it's still not going to be able to reprogram a computer. As has been pointed out, power input and data input are two completely different things.

new topics

top topics

join