It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

content going downhill???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Is it just me or has there been alot less really 'realistic' conspiracies and stuff getting posted lately and alot of threads which seem to be people either repeating or posting dumb stuff jsut for the sake of it?

it just seems to me i have been doing alot more responces like 'i doubt it' instead of 'thats really interesting'.

anyone else feeling like this or is it just me???

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I think that people these days are alot more negative.

If they were more positive, we would get alot more interesting responces.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 09:21 PM
link   
After just 7 weeks as a member? No. You're just get used to everything that's on ATS, and the novelty is wearing off. ATS isn't new anymore to you. It happens quick for some, slow for others... but it happens to everyone.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 09:25 PM
link   
thats possible i guess. i still think people are posting dumber and dumber stuff. (some are still quite good though)

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Yes... There are periods of time where there is just junk posted on ATS. But most of the time there is some very interesting stuff on here.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I am still amazed by everything that is posted on here I see some repeat stuff on the boards but even then it is a new link and it fascinates me even more but thats just me

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I agree with SkepticOverlord that the "novelty" has or is wearing off. But, I as well think there are some "dumb" things posted. Not that anything I have ever said isn't dumb either. It's just some people just get on and make a thread that is complete bull and then just because they found some crap on the internet to support this, it's real. I read it on the internet so it must be real, right guys?

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by bobafett1972
I read it on the internet so it must be real, right guys?

of course! everything on the internet is real

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Well.......check out the "Lets play a game thread"!

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 10:28 PM
link   
1 The upcoming elections are starting to take peoples focus, so they're more interested in posting, reading about those topics, as a result the other stuff is starting to languish.

2 School holidays? Often leads to an increase in wacky posting from delusional teens...

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asclepius
Is it just me or has there been alot less really 'realistic' conspiracies and stuff getting posted lately and alot of threads which seem to be people either repeating or posting dumb stuff jsut for the sake of it?

it just seems to me i have been doing alot more responces like 'i doubt it' instead of 'thats really interesting'.

anyone else feeling like this or is it just me???

how many conspiracies are believable? I mean, whole subjects on this site are dubious at best (NWO, Paranormal studies, and my personal fav, Cryptozoology and Mythical beasts.........I mean come on!!!! MYTHICAL BEASTS!?!?!?!?!?!? :lol
, plus there is going to be doubt on any subject matter, even the more mainstream ones (example: Aurora). Plus, what is believable for one is not for another. For instance, there is a certain member here who genuinly believes that the SARS outbreak in China was a US biological attack. I put that next to the Titor and Reptillian in believability, but then again, I for one am not close minded to ET's and most people would call me crazy for that.

As for the repeats - I have been a member here for under a year, but what I have noticed is a cycle of new comers who rehash the same basic conversations because it s new to them. I mean, if i have to look at one more thread on the F/A-22 I just might
but for anyone interested in the millitary or aviation, it is very exciting.

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Up untill a few weeks ago, I've sat in the shadows and silently followed ATS for some time. In the last roughly month, I have noticed quite a big change in the general attitudes of ATS members. Especially in the last month or so I've noticed quite a big increase in the number of negative and derogatory comments made by members in these forums.

When I first joined there were a few REALLY out there and hard to believe theories and ideas floating aroud, but people still played with the ideas for sheer entertainment value or provided reasons for why the idea or theory was invalid, usually with some sort of proof. But lately almost every post I have seen the first few replies consist of "you're an idiot", "dude, EVERYONE knows the christian god is the ONLY god", "Americans aren't arrogant. You're so arrogant for saying we're arrogant", "Only when women rule the world and the greys come to bring us back into the light which is wirelessly powered by a top secret tesla device provided by tesla himself after he visited a reptilian in his sleep and impregnated him with his love child who grew up to become the president of the mightiest country on earth" ... you get the idea. Just general rudeness, narrow minds, and "I'm right you're wrong" attitudes.

If there's a spelling mistake, the person gets flamed. If they DARE mention politics or religion, well, it's all fire and brimstone for them. Trouble speaking engrish? Well, obviously they must be a fool

I don't know what can possibly be done to remove this negative attitude that seems to be creeping into the forums apart from maybe the moderators coming down heavier on rude and abusive people?

The interesting question is what is causing the shift in general attitudes?

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 09:03 AM
link   
It has all been said................just a bunch of what ifs?

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Very Interesting you say that I see where you are coming from. However I think that the fact people question a statement and not always accept it as true is good.. the idea being that if a statement is put forward and challenged, then either you have something you can back up your statement with or the statement is debunk. But we need the ALL ideas and theories in order to keep our minds open and to think about ideas from a different angle... whatever the statement may be.

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
2 School holidays? Often leads to an increase in wacky posting from delusional teens...

Like me

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I think everyone has this feeling after being here a while. At first you cannot believe the wealth of information here, and you totally taken back by the community and the amzing board features. Once that novelty wears off and you get to know the forums, you begin to notice the 'junk' that does settle around. There can be feelings of disapointment.

For me I find that there is easily enough quality contribution from a wide range of perspectives to outwiegh the repitition of board topics/drama and the flaming from disgruntled or delusional members. I think that the majority of stuff here is worth looking into and discussing, and most members are respectful and intelligent when going about it. Just stay away from the 'ex-mudpit' and yellow forums if you don't want to fall into a sort of groudhog day-like posting experience.

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I havn't been around ATS long, but I have noticed that if someone appears to "get out of line" it is dealt with by the Mods effectively. I can only count maybe 2 instances where I thought a person was F-ing up and got by. The cops can't be eveywhere all the time. The other posters did a good job of handling the situations though.

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man
how many conspiracies are believable? I mean, whole subjects on this site are dubious at best (NWO, Paranormal studies, and my personal fav, Cryptozoology and Mythical beasts.........I mean come on!!!! MYTHICAL BEASTS!?!?!?!?!?!? :lol

Hmmm, mythical beasts is certainly a bit extreme in the plausibility stakes.......But, you're saying cryptozoology is a dubious subject too? Interesting that you are not closed to the idea of aliens, yet seem to think cryptozoology is bunkum! Double standards methinks.

Ok, what about Carcharadon Megalodon to give you ONE example? It's extinct and therefore can be included under the cryptozoology umbrella as an object of study. However a number of scientists **think** it may not be. They do not see any reason for why it doesn't still live out there somewhere. THAT'S an excample of a typical cryptid. It's not dubious, nor is it implausible or the ramblings of an idiot. Granted, some cryptids probably are the brainchild of idiots, but don't discount the serious research so readily.
See www.strangemag.com...
Or www.flmnh.ufl.edu...
Or try Google for plenty more info!!

I can't be bothered looking for links to all the sites giving you info on serious research into cryptozoology, but try the ones below. They detail recent findings and provides news on how **scientists** are conducting serious **research** into the subject right now! Cryptozoology is the study of hidden animals, be them new species or sub-species or creatures we thought were extinct.
Try: www.cryptozoology.com...
Or: www.pibburns.com...

Yes, I'm irritated because the serious subjects end up being tarred with the same brush as the ones which should be treated with derision. Please think before you post!

[EDIT]It's comments like yours which are why the content is perhaps suffering. Too many people debunking subjects by just saying they are nonsense, yet providing no actual reasoning for their scepticism or mockery.

Please backup your statement with some reason for why cryptozoology is "dubious".
[/EDIT

Grey Pilgrim

[edit on 31/8/04 by Grey_Pilgrim]

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Ok, what about Carcharadon Megalodon to give you ONE example?

AND lest we forget: Coelocanth, Okapi... They do exist and are considered living fossils.

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Der Kapitan

Ok, what about Carcharadon Megalodon to give you ONE example?

AND lest we forget: Coelocanth, Okapi... They do exist and are considered living fossils.

and don't forget Larry King

top topics

<<   2 >>

join