It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ohio Considers New Laws Regarding Exotic Animals

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evolutionsend
reply to post by WarminIndy

You tell him he's not my pet.
He doesn't want to go too far from his home.

Obviously he knows he is loved and was well cared for. I think it is awesome that he hangs around still. Hey, maybe one day he will bring a wife a babies home. Wow!

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Onboard2

I know a guy that has a cougar in a huge, round pen. The cougar has never known freedom, so he doesn't know any different, but he's well taken care of. They can live up to 30 years in captivity, so the guy can never go anywhere for long. He's worried the cat will outlive him, lol.

But we also need to consider what is psychologically good for animals. Just because an animal seems content to live in a cage does not mean it is psychologically beneficial.

I have a small dog that is leashed when it is outside. My dog is also expected to have good manners while we go for walks. I have to also consider what is best for its mental health. I know a lady who had a cockatiel that no one was allowed to interact with because it once bit a child that was teasing it. It is very cruel to leave a cockatiel locked up in its cage all day with no interaction with people because cockatiels are social animals.

So even though a cougar may seem happy because it is fed, does that mean it is the best for its mental health?

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

I do not think a female bobcat would touch him, he smells of humans. He's aloud to run free, he was raised by humans though, so he probably doesn't act right. If I had kept him with me, he probably would've made an acceptable house cat. He behaves more like a dog though, a very smart dog.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by WarminIndy

Originally posted by Onboard2

I know a guy that has a cougar in a huge, round pen. The cougar has never known freedom, so he doesn't know any different, but he's well taken care of. They can live up to 30 years in captivity, so the guy can never go anywhere for long. He's worried the cat will outlive him, lol.

But we also need to consider what is psychologically good for animals. Just because an animal seems content to live in a cage does not mean it is psychologically beneficial.

I have a small dog that is leashed when it is outside. My dog is also expected to have good manners while we go for walks. I have to also consider what is best for its mental health. I know a lady who had a cockatiel that no one was allowed to interact with because it once bit a child that was teasing it. It is very cruel to leave a cockatiel locked up in its cage all day with no interaction with people because cockatiels are social animals.

So even though a cougar may seem happy because it is fed, does that mean it is the best for its mental health?

Yes, I agree. I don't think wild animals should be confined, unless they have been raised in captivity and there is no where else for them to go. The man was asked to keep the cougar when it was 4 months old, so he did. I still think the cougar would be better off in a well run zoo. I don't agree with people keeping exotic pets for their own passion, and I think it is a passion, because I have one for the big cats. There should be restrictions in every state and it shouldn't be easy to acquire a permit. Even Steve Hawkes, with his excellent habitat for the big cats has had some trouble. It's too easy to obtain a permit and keep these wild animals.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I have an on-line friend who has a number of rescued wildcats. A few he had and raised as babies. The bobcats would lie beside his domestics cats.
I have never ever seen such love and devotion between the owners and the cats. It is clear when an animal is happy or not. I think there are a few exceptions when it is ok to have them. This couple pays a fortune making sure that all their needs are met and most importantly that they have veterinary care and are happy.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
As to having rights to own certain animals....
Your rights end whenever they inpinge upon another.
Any animal that is a danger to humans should Never be kept as a "pet".

The reason government makes laws is because people fail to use common sense with regard to their lifestyle as it affects others.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I think the Cougars are easier to work with than the big cats. Since the Cougars do not roar, they are not considered to be in the big cat group by some. They are fast disappearing. When one is seen, they are usually immediately shot unfortunately, and they keep the small animal population down. They don't ususally look upon people as prey and I don't know,if that includes children. Years ago, there was a large, black cat sighting here in Illinois.

They like deer meat! That's what my friend feeds his cougar and sometimes our small town residents help him out with feeding him by giving him part of their deer kill. We have lots of deer here!

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by OhZone

The news on Yahoo this morning said he was unable to take care of them and turned them loose himself before committing suicide. Think about the people who have exotic animals penned up and the person dies, the animal would not be fed. Those are things people need to take into consideration when having pets or exotic animals.

news.yahoo.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join