It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists fear new supervolcano may be forming in Bolivia, South America

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Probably no impending doom here, but it's very interesting how all these seismic/volcanic that have been dormant for thousands, if not millions, of years are starting to show activity....

theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com...

October 20, 2011 – BOLIVIA - Should anyone ever decide to make a show called “CSI: Geology,” a group of scientists studying a mysterious and rapidly inflating South American volcano have got the perfect storyline. Uturuncu is a nearly 20,000-foot-high (6,000 meters) volcano in southwest Bolivia. Scientists recently discovered the volcano is inflating with astonishing speed. “I call this ‘volcano forensics,’ because we’re using so many different techniques to understand this phenomenon,” said Oregon State University professor Shan de Silva, a volcanologist on the research team. Researchers realized about five years ago that the area below and around Uturuncu is steadily rising — blowing up like a giant balloon under a wide disc of land some 43 miles (70 kilometers) across. Satellite data revealed the region was inflating by 1 to 2 centimeters (less than an inch) per year and had been doing so for at least 20 years, when satellite observations began. “It’s one of the fastest uplifting volcanic areas on Earth,” de Silva told OurAmazingPlanet. “What we’re trying to do is understand why there is this rapid inflation, and from there we’ll try to understand what it’s going to lead to.” The peak is perched like a party hat at the center of the inflating area.....

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Disconnected Sociopath

Yeah, I read that this morning. Alvin happens to stay on top of the news in relation to the importance as he sees fit. I like that site.

I think we all should try and be aware of the Earth's geological activity....it seems to be happening in concert.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Apparently it's in a field of, until recently, thought to be extinct supervolcanos. It last erupted 300,000 years ago - I found an article which is where I belive the blogger you linked got his source material.

Article Source

edit on 20-10-2011 by Necrosis because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by MamaJ

Yeah, I read that this morning. Alvin happens to stay on top of the news in relation to the importance as he sees fit. I like that site.

I think we all should try and be aware of the Earth's geological activity....it seems to be happening in concert.

I read extinction protocal every morning. It's a very good website to keep up to date with all the natural disasters and other doom happening around the globe daily.

Many will say that all of this is perfectly normal but with all the speculation regarding 2012 and end times it really makes you wonder.....

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
‘Sight Rise of Magma at Bolivia’s Potential Super-Volcano, Uturuncu but no Signs of an Immediate Eruption’
02 March 2012 from the Extinction Protocal website

theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com... te-eruption/

The OP’s original Uturuncu article from The Extinction Protocol ‘Scientists Fear New Super-Volcano may be Forming in Bolvia’ is from 20 October 2011. Have you noticed that on Hungary’s RSOE EDIS (National Association of Radio Distress-Signalling and Infocommunications – Emergency and Disaster Information Services) that Uturuncu is not even listed? They have 17 supervolcanoes listed in their table ‘Supervolcanoes Monitoring System’ but no Uturuncu.

hisz.rsoe.hu...

new topics

top topics

join