It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Incompetence Leaves Misidentified Woman In Gaol For 53 Days

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Due to sheer police incompetence, Teresa Culpepper spent 53 days in gaol because her first name was the same as another suspect & she was black.

The identity of the suspect they wanted was given as Teresa, black female, but that is where the similarities stopped, her address, height, weight & date of birth were all wrong.

The police didn't do their job, the lawyer did their job, by finding Teresa's alledged victim to prove the cops blunder of misidentification.

au.news.yahoo.com...

An Atlanta woman says she was mistakenly imprisoned for 53 days because police confused her for someone else with the same first name.

Teresa Culpepper says she called police to report that her truck had been stolen in August. But when they showed up at her home, they arrested her for aggravated assault committed by another Teresa.

"All she has is the same first name. The only descriptions that match are 'Teresa' and 'black female,'" Culpepper's attorney, Ashleigh Merchant told The Lookout. Culpepper didn't have the same address, birth date, height, or weight as the Teresa who was supposed to be arrested.

Merchant says Culpepper, who was legitimately convicted of a misdemeanor in the 90s, lives in a rough neighborhood where police are frequently on patrol. She and her family were unable to post the $12,000 bond to get her out of jail, so she wasn't released until her public defender found the victim of the assault and brought him to the court to say Culpepper was not the "Teresa" he had accused.

"I just don't think in another side of town this would have ever happened," Merchant says. She says the city must settle with Culpepper or face a lawsuit. She says the police department is investigating the incident.

"I didn't know what to do," Culpepper told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "I didn't know how to get out this situation."

No wonder African Americans fear the polce, she reports a crime against herself & she is dragged away instead.

The stupid cops should be fired for stupidity & have to spend 53 days in gaol.

Hope she sues for massive payout. The payout should come out of the arresting officers own wages.

edit on 19-10-2011 by acrux because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Talking about police incompetence....I am trying to ask this rhetorical question with a straight face. WTF IS GOAL or GAOL?

I wonder if the police will use that ole stereo type that all black people look the same?
I was talking to my foreign exchange student friend from japan the other day and she told me all white people look alike. I just had to laugh because all people tend to do that inherently.

Back to the OP, I am glad you brought this to my attention. Great find! BTW I was just messin with you about your spelling please don't take offense.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by agentblue

Gaol is what you yanks would call jail.

www.thefreedictionary.com...

gaol - British: a variant spelling of jail

Noun 1. gaol - a correctional institution used to detain persons who are in the lawful custody of the government (either accused persons awaiting trial or convicted persons serving a sentence)

Verb 1. gaol - lock up or confine, in or as in a jail; "The suspects were imprisoned without trial"; "the murderer was incarcerated for the rest of his life"

I don't think the noun definition suits this case.

detain persons who are in the lawful custody

edit on 19-10-2011 by acrux because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by agentblue
Talking about police incompetence....I am trying to ask this rhetorical question with a straight face. WTF IS GOAL or GAOL?

"Jail" and "Gaol" redirect here. For other uses, see Jail (disambiguation).

Article Wikipedia

Consider not everyone uses the American English Language...

edit on 19/10/11 by spirit_horse because: typos

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by agentblue

In Australia jail is spelt gaol which is the same as the British way of spelling it.

It's spelled jail in the media and by many people generally, gaol in official government documents (and on the signs outside gaols!).

Gaol

jail/gaol, n. [jeyl, jāl]
-Jail is etymologically a 'little cage.' It comes from Vulgar Latin gaviola, an alternate form of Late Latin caveola, which in turn is the diminutive form of Latin cavea 'cage' and the source of English cage. Gaviola was adopted by Old French as jaiole and Old Northern French gaiole. In 1275, the English form of the word was written as gayhol, but it eventually split into two distinct words: jail from jaiole and gaol from gaiole, both meaning 'jail, prison.' Until the 17th century, gaol was pronounced with a hard 'g' (as in 'good'), but at this point it began to slowly take on the same pronunciation as jail. There has been a tendency for British English speakers to prefer gaol over jail, which is used more in America. This seems to be changing, however, with more recent years showing an increase in the usage of jail in Britain.

word-ancestry

I personaly like Gaol, to me its reminder of our Ned Kelly days and Austrailan history
edit on 19/10/11 by Whateva69 because: (no reason given)

edit on 19/10/11 by Whateva69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by acrux

what a stupid mistake, locking someone up just because of their first name.
I wonder how many Teresa's live in Atlanta
im guessing a alot.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Whateva69

gayhol is ironical considering what happens in a lot of gaols.

Thanks for the word origin history. Always had a personal interest in the origins of words & sayings.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Whateva69

Must be scary to be named Teresa in Atlanta

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Wow.

This is a special kind of stupid that I don't think will be topped any time soon.

WTF? What the hell kind of cops do this?

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Corrupt, lazy or pathetic cops.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by acrux

I hope they lose their jobs.

And the the PD has to seriously pony up for destroying 53 days of this woman's life.

I would normally agree with the idea of taking it out of the wages of the cops who arrested her, but I don't think they need to be making a wage as cops any more. Plus, the simple fact that this woman was locked up in a jail cell and NO ONE but her lawyer did anything to stop it is evidence of institutional incompetence and the PD should pay dearly for it.

Absolute shame on them.

God this pisses me off beyond belief.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Yes very sad state of affairs.

I'm sure she told the cops they had the wrong person & they never even bothered to investigate.

What is also strange is that they never bothered to get the alledged victim in for line-up to ensure they had the right person.

I wonder if he even knew some had been taken into custody before her lawyer contacted him.

new topics

top topics

join