It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You can garden in 6" by 8 feet space!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Came across this nice little garden..thought maybe some of you would be interested. This garden is really great if you have very limited space. small space vertical garden

You could probably even do this garden next to free if you use a shipping crate..just add wood to the bottoms of gaps.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Thats not to bad , but the wood planks for each layer would be limited in sunlight because of the shadow!

here is your bad boy right here .

www.omegagarden.com...

sure the start up cost a tad high , but the yeild vs the other methods is life saving in shtf sinerios

remember in SHTF times , you need food fast . not slow pretty gardens that take months for a week worth of yeild lol

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Nice, but not too impressive.
This is my idea of a vertical garden...
www.lushe.com.au...

I made two (smaller) against the wall in my garden, full with strawberries, tomatoes, salad greens, spinach etc.

Coming year I'll make two more, free standing, so I can plant more food, but also flowers etc. on each side.

And still ore than enough room for the kids to play!!
edit on 19-10-2011 by notsosunny because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Neopan100

It doesn't look very sustainable as in there is not enough soil . There's good reasons why traditional gardening didnt suddenly have the good idea of using shelves to grow things ; in this case becasue it doesnt work . Its at best a waste of wood and water which both leach the treatments from the wood into the plants , and quickly the wood rots . You'd be watering it all the time

What would be more sustainable and productive in the situation where space is a problem is an aquaponics system .
Or, an extra deep , highly enriched soil with natural retention and raised edges , put in the area underneath where the shelves are (not) , is another alternative . That way you are not watering so much to get salads , and can grow things closer together . Intensive use of a small space is more important than inventing extensive use from it .

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by yourboycal2

WOW...that is awesome! Do the plants look better/get bigger using these systems? I don't know the first thing about hydroponic systems. They seem so complicated to get started. I bmarked that and will go back and read up on it.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by notsosunny

That is excellent too! So many good ideas. I am just trying to brainstorm for next season...finding out about all the great ideas out there and trying to put them to work here.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by yourboycal2

That was amazing. The cost is high, but it would pay for itself in no time!

Here in Hawaii, the one thing we do have is food -- lots of it. But for contamination issues, like radiation, growing indoors can't be beat.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by antoinemarionette

I just watched the video and I am stunned! 2K isn't too bad..I think I know where the ole' tax refund is going!

I LOVE salads so this would supply me with constant flow of fresh salads that are safe. I bought some fresh spinach last week and while eating wondered if it would be my last meal! heehee..you never know anymore.

My girls would LOVE fresh strawberries. Are there any fruits or veggies that cannot be grown using these systems? Can you plant anytime?

new topics

top topics

join