It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quick ways to get your vehicle moving without a parts store.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Thanx for porting OP. Just booking mx seat, will come bach for the formalities.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Evolutionsend

The air cooled bugs all used one belt that went from the crank pulley to the generator which turned the fan that blew in a shroud that cooled the engines. You loose the belt and do not see the temp-generator light come on and turn off the engine,there went your engine. Jugs, pistons and rings would have to be replaced. Type III and Type IV engines used a direct driven fan off the crankshaft. Some newer Buses used the Type IV engines.

All of the early Survival Mags and Books printed that a Chevy powered truck would be best, as you could rob parts off most anything else Chevy, Ford was next and Dodge was last. That was all pre-computer made Systems.
At most they used HEI distributors. These were easy to keep a few spare parts for them, but they could go to 100k miles if you were lucky..

Also the idea was to take a auto repair class that used to be taught at some High Schools at night.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Papagrune

I made a thread about my version of a serious survival vehicle a while ago. I thought a 70s or maybe even 80s chevy truck would be best. Are you claiming that the truck could only go 100k miles, or the distributor? Those old trucks would go far beyond 100k miles.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
New to the site. not to the information. in the market for a vehicle for rough turrain that can be services with some knowledge (not mechanic but took shop class in school many yeas ago). The older have less electronics but much less gas millage. Was an excellent post for breakdown temp fixes which is in line with my selection process, Does anyone have any suggestions from experience with vehciles on which are easy to work on that is faily new upto 2005. will be used a 2nd vehcile but require storage and room for 6 people. so far not an easy selection.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Did anyone suggest rolling your vehicle down a hill and popping the clutch???
The clip is out of sync... but still memorable.

edit on 22-11-2011 by shushu because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join