It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What We Really Mean When We Talk About a Syrian No-Fly Zone.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I think they are now talking about possible Syrian no-fly zone sooner but right now it had no military intervention as of now by the United States.

In mid-August, talk show host Stephen Colbert asked U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Susan Rice why the United States had not intervened to save the lives of Syrians as it had in Libya. Ambassador Rice replied that Syrian opposition members had told U.S. diplomats, "What they want from the United States is more leadership, political pressure, and sanctions, but very clearly no military intervention." ince then, opposition forces who seek the fall of the Bashar al Assad regime have increased their demands for an international military intervention in the form of a no-fly zone (NFZ) over all or parts of Syria. However, as was true in Libya, the military mission that is actually required is one of close air support. It is important for the international community to correctly assess the situation on the ground and understand the distinctions between NFZs and close air support before exploring the use of military force in Syria.

More leadership? No way, if European or Arab leaders leaders wanted them then let them have to it. www.theatlantic.com...

I mean i though a no-fly zone was to make sure that no aircraft was flying and no carrying out bombing raids for the opposition group.

On Bosnia, no-fly zone was enforced and it only used to protect UN-designated areas but not help on the other side.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Wow OP, I think this might explain some of the Iran business too. Syria and Iran have a formal and public military alliance like SEATO or NATO. If one is hit, the other is obligated to join the war by treaty. This talk sounds like they are quite close to intervention inside Syria. They'd want the public to be upset and predisposed to immediately turn on Iran if it does honor it's commitments to back up Syria.

Geeze.... I smell larger patterns. The west needs to stay in the west and leave the Middle East to those who actually live there.

join