It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House Bill Would Criminalize Satire of TSA (WARNING: Infowars)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
So as the title suggests I doubt this is fully true. I'd ask someone to please show me the actual facts because this is my one source at this point. Infowars, as most of you know, has a horrible reputation.

The "bill"

Whoever, except with the written permission of the Assistant Secretary for Transportation Security (or the Director of the Federal Air Marshal Service for issues involving the Federal Air Marshal Service), knowingly uses the words 'Transportation Security Administration', 'United States Transportation Security Administration', 'Federal Air Marshal Service', 'United States Federal Air Marshal Service', 'Federal Air Marshals', the initials 'T.S.A.', 'F.A.M.S.', 'F.A.M.', or any colorable imitation of such words or initials, or the likeness of a Transportation Security Administration or Federal Air Marshal Service badge, logo, or insignia on any item of apparel, in connection with any advertisement, circular, book, pamphlet, software, or other publication, or with any play, motion picture, broadcast, telecast, or other production, in a matter that is reasonably calculated to convey the impression that the wearer of the item of apparel is acting pursuant to the legal authority of the Transportation Security Administration or Federal Air Marshal Service, or to convey the impression that such advertisement, circular, book, pamphlet, software, or other publication, or such play, motion picture, broadcast, telecast, or other production, is approved, endorsed, or authorized by the Transportation Security Administration or Federal Air Marshal Service .(Emphasis added.)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
It boils down to the writer's interpretation of the proposed language. Infowars is pedaling fear with its title in my opinion.

The heart of the discussion is the following language found in H.R. 3011, Sec 295. The section is quite large and apparently my time spent away from ATS has once again limited my character count to respond with, the link provided takes you to the bill.

The proposed language in Sec. 295 would amend Title 18, Section 709; US Code. This section of US Code deals with "False advertising or misuse of names to indicate Federal agency".

If you read the language already in the code, you can see that the proposed language isn't any different than what is already law. Satire will not be quashed. The First Amendment (via this particular language) will not be stifled in any shape or fashion.

Title 18, Section 709 has language that deals with the F.B.I. and those seeking to use the likeness of it. Given such, we still see movies, political cartoons, satirical pieces, etc, concerning the agency...I am not sure what Infowars is pushing here.
edit on 14-10-2011 by ownbestenemy because: Added link to US Code

new topics

join