It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tainted wells found on Ohio resort island

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 08:54 PM
link   
CHICAGO, Illinois (Reuters) -- Contaminated wells may be the source of the mystery illness that has stricken more than 1,000 visitors to an Ohio island getaway in Lake Erie, authorities said Friday.

E. coli, a bacteria found in fecal matter, was found in six wells belonging to a deli, a winery, resort cabins, a cave that is a tourist attraction and two residences on South Bass Island, Jay Carey of the Ohio Department of Public Health said.

The contamination with E. coli may indicate the presence of the three types of bacteria and one virus identified in 19 of the 1,054 people sickened so far, Carey said. Fourteen of the cases were traced to the bacteria campylobacter, which causes thousands of illnesses each year in the United States.

[url=http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Midwest/08/27/health.island.reut/index.html]http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Midwest/08/27/health.island.reut/index.html[/ur l]

I work with people who were on the island recently, they didn't get sick, but have been worried.

Anyone else close by, been to the island lately ?

by the way, I have not.

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Drinking water focus of Ohio island illness probe...

TOLEDO, Ohio (AP) -- Investigators searching for the source of an outbreak that sickened hundreds of travelers on a Lake Erie resort island are focusing on drinking water.

State environmental officials on Thursday ordered inspections of private wells to determine if they have been contaminated or have played a role in contaminating the village of Put-in-Bay's water system.

www.cnn.com...

Found this article too...

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I have been seeing it on local news. I really don't care. The mayor says nothing is wrong, 1,000 people say they sick from the water, mayor still says nothing wrong. A Put-In-Bay water treatment worker/boss is fired.

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I was at that island last month, before I was there I remember hearing e.coli breakout stories a year before it's nothing new to me to hear, I just drink bottled water, wash my hands like an ocd freak try not to drink lake water, ect..
I never got sick, and i'm assuming it's because I took these safety measures...
Sorry to hear about these people, 1,000 something, boy thats a large number, I don't even think there are that many people on the island at once, I could be wrong, but again, what a number. That island is so beautiful, I loved it there, will be returning again next year even if the e.coli returns for a visit, i'll just do what I did last time... Protect myself....

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I was just talking with a co-worker who frequents the island...

there's only 13-14 confirmed cases of E.

she made an excellent point..

symptoms.. nausea, vomiting, diarhea (sp), etc.... EXCUSE ME... but this is Put In Bay !!! Hello... ever heard of Drinking too much... same symptoms...

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I blame the Dave Matthews Band... they've got previous......

BBC's Report

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 01:22 PM
link   
13-14 confirmed of E. But some people are talking about a "mystery disease". I think about 950 of the 1000 cases are idiots who want attention and a reason to sue.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klepto
I blame the Dave Matthews Band... they've got previous......

BBC's Report

OMGOSH, I heard this on the news.....Isn't that discusting??? Imagine being on a boat and having 300 tons or whatever of # fall over you??? EWWW...
Dude, that is just sick, I would definitely sue over that, who the hell do those guys think they are? I don't care if they are muscians, it doesn't give them the right to pollute our waters with their fecal matter...
Isn't he a liberal too?? shame shame...

new topics

top topics

join