It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible Governmental Backdoor found ("case R2D2")

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Why does my FF need to use so much of my CPU?

Running Firefox on Windows? I'm running Fedora 15 KDE, and Firefox 7.0.1 with 7 tabs open, and 4 video files downloading. Just checked Task Manager, Firefox is using a whole 5% of my available 3 Gb of memory. I think you have a memory allocation problem, friend. Some say creating a new profile helps.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Your post is full of so many wrong assumptions I don't know where to start.

- Ubuntu brings out an LTS version specifically for production environments, it gets 6-8 years upgrades. Not sure where you get your info from. I've been a happy Linux User for ages now.
- There is no need to run "An old Ubuntu Version for old hardware" since wether or not you can run old hardware depends mainly upon the Desktop environment, not the Name of the Operating System. Try installing Xbuntu, and if that stil asks too much of your hardware, do a "sudo aptitude install fluxbox" and you're all set. My old Notebook ( 1,7 GHZ Celeron single core, 256 MB RAM ) runs just fine with the XFCE Desktop environment.

If anyone uses Windows and thinks his/her PC is his/hers .. think again. It's not.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

The Memory Allocation Error Bug has a name ... they call it "Windows"

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Ubuntu LTS releases are supported for 3 years for the desktop edition & 5 years for the server edition.

If you want a lightning fast *buntu, try Lubuntu (open box +LXDE) which will be an official member of the family on it's 11.10 release. I think that's happening on Thursday 13th October, along with the other 11.10 *buntu releases (X, U & K)

I'm posting this from the Lubuntu 11.10 daily build from Friday 7th October which amounts to a beta2.

Yup, Linux rocks

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench
Firefox is using a whole 5% of my available 3 Gb of memory. I think you have a memory allocation problem, friend. Some say creating a new profile helps.
My CPU usage is the same as yours, roughly 5% for Firefox, so that's no problem.

First he said memory then he said CPU, I think he meant memory. The later versions of Firefox do use more memory if you have a lot of tabs open. 7 tabs is nothing, I had over 200 tabs open in version 3 and memory usage wasn't too bad. I have many fewer tabs open in version 7 of Firefox yet memory usage is higher.

I think that's one of the reasons version 7 is faster than version 3, it relies more on memory. I doubt it's an allocation problem, that's just the way it is.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Moving to a Linux OS will solve your problem. I recently installed Ubuntu OS on my computer and I love not having to worry about viruses. It's Awesome!

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
The News of the world did this kind of hacking through simple e-mail to someone they wanted to target. BBC's Panorama programme investigated it earlier this year,

www.thesecurityblog.com...

Serious stuff!

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Nothing new. The government has had these tools for a long time. Here are a few from long ago...

Carnivore
Magic Lantern
Enhanced-Carnivore

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

Originally posted by autowrench
Firefox is using a whole 5% of my available 3 Gb of memory. I think you have a memory allocation problem, friend. Some say creating a new profile helps.
My CPU usage is the same as yours, roughly 5% for Firefox, so that's no problem.

First he said memory then he said CPU, I think he meant memory. The later versions of Firefox do use more memory if you have a lot of tabs open. 7 tabs is nothing, I had over 200 tabs open in version 3 and memory usage wasn't too bad. I have many fewer tabs open in version 7 of Firefox yet memory usage is higher.

I think that's one of the reasons version 7 is faster than version 3, it relies more on memory. I doubt it's an allocation problem, that's just the way it is.

Just as I said, and that in itself is a big difference between Windows and Linux. Linux uses a "Swap" partition to swap memory back and forth from, and it uses a variety of other partitions so they all don't run on just one partition. Now I have noticed that Windows 7 now has a 100Mb boot partition, that is a step in the right direction. I'm running 3 Gb of Ram on my machine, and Fedora just flies on it, even with the heavy graphics of KDE 4.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
SYMANTEC confirms it.

Symantec has performed an initial analysis on the samples and has confirmed much of the functionality as described in the CCC document. The samples are malware--which Symantec detects as Backdoor.R2D2--that opens a back door allowing a remote attacker to access the compromised computer.

If you want total network control, you can only do that with a hardware firewall. Only Allow TCP ports 80 and 443, a white list of server you would connect to.

It really doesn't matter tho. The way the Internet is now designed is all in the clear, meaning anyone who can listen can see. Thats why encryption matters.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by FarmerGeneral

I figured something like this would happen as we already knew that B Gates was sleeping with the enemy, and despite the many anti-trust suits in the past, yet he still grew exponentially. Wasn't MS interested in buying skype?

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by FarmerGeneral

Governments engaged in espionage?!?! What a shocker!

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
No surprise at all, the internet is their worst nightmare, they want to control it legally, imagine what they do right now to control it undercover.

In addition, the backdoor can be remotely updated. Servers that it connects to include 83.236.140.90 and 207.158.22.134

Some info about the IP adresses mentionned above

83.236.140.90 is located in Germany --> DETAILED INFO

Adresse which is obviously down now --> PING 83.236.140.90

83.x.x.x ISP Info : QSC.DE Whois

Name: The QSC Hostmaster
Address: QSC AG
Address: Mathias-Brueggen-Str. 55
PostalCode: 50829
City: Koeln

207.158.22.134 is an anonymous proxy located near Oceanside, California --> DETAILED INFO

Hosted by American Internet Services, LLC. --> MAP LOCATION

edit on 11/10/2011 by B3lz3buth because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join