It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Toxoplasmosis Hoarding of animals (My Idea)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Could be in the wrong forum but i think it suits some of the topics. So awhile ago after a night of drinking and playing video games i turned to a good friend of mine and said can you imagine if something like this was real? so curious to see if there are parasites out there that alter perception and our instincts we went on the internet and we found Toxoplasmosis!

So what is Toxoplasmosis?

Toxoplasmosis is a parasitic disease caused by the protozoan Toxoplasma gondii.

what does it do?

Toxoplasma gondii manipulates the behaviour of its host in order to increase its chance of finding a new host

If you'd like to now more watch this video I do not own it

THE IDEA!

So basically my idea i'd like to discuss is the link between Toxoplamosis and some cat owners who seemingly hoard cat's could they themselves be Hosts? Could this parasite literally be making them want to have more cats around them to so it can continue it's reproductive cycle and survive?

Please try to be nice my first proper thread! just something i'd like to discuss because i find it interesting!
look forward to hearing what you think!

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Very interesting concept.

I think it's a little bit simpler than that: they just want a cute little kitten. Once the kitten becomes a jaded, vaguely unhappy looking, lazy old cat, they want a new kitten again.

If we get to the point of genetic manipulation that can keep a kitten always a kitten... cats will die out within a decade never to be seen again.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Nice first thread Tobree. Posted to keep in my follow files

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
S&F for you, very interesting theory, will have to look more into your idea later when not on my cell phone.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
interesting thread OP

tis a thought provoking theory, but as DieBravely said;

I think it's a little bit simpler than that: they just want a cute little kitten. Once the kitten becomes a jaded, vaguely unhappy looking, lazy old cat, they want a new kitten again.

but then again, there is always a chance that this parasite could indeed be 'controlling' the host.....
interesting read thanks.... S+F for you

fluffx

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I think an even stranger idea....

Could it be apart of religion? The egyptians loved cats... didnt they start all this junk? So now maybe its not so strange we see people unjulating wildly on the floor professing their loyalty to an imaginary magic man and stuffing peices of paper in a wall while babbling for hours.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I could have gone for the rest of my life perfectly oblivious to this knowledge.....

Creepy....

Between 20 and 60 percent of any given population is infected, and once you’ve got it, it’s for life.

Source

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Tobree

This idea was on tv not so long ago...im pretty sure it was on BBC1.

Glad you are finding your way around ATS so well...most people have a lot of trouble linking vids...was there instructions in the phone on how to embed vids?? lol

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by loves a conspiricy

It's not hard to use forums there are plenty of forums on the internet
and it's kinda obvious with a [vid:youtube] button at the top of the screen and anyway please stay on topic!

edit on 7-10-2011 by Tobree because: spelling

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Maybe Debbie has taxoplasmosis

I find your theory interesting and maybe not entirely impossible. That would be a pretty genius parasite to know what emotion to trigger within a person.

Candida yeast overgrowth feeds off of sugars and carbs and makes you crave sugars and carbs. And if you don't eat them it can effect your mood. So parasites can definitely sit in the drivers seat sometimes.

Personally I would be happy to have a house full of cats (within reason) if money and time allowed for it. I love them and never tire of their sweet furry little faces no matter their age. But I think that's just adoration of the feline species. Now the people that hoard cats and don't properly care for them, maybe there's something there.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Tobree

Nice first thread.

I remember reading somewhere that a very high percentage of car accidents could be contributed to a parasitic brain bacteria. It normally affects fish and makes them want to be eaten by birds, and then reproduces in the bird intestinal tract and then gets pooped back into the fish water and infects more suicidal fish. In humans it only serves to dull the reflexes a little bit, nothing serious.

Parasites suck!

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Interesting subject and theory...
First time I heard about it was with Joe Rogan

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

It's the same parasite! i've got a huge interest in parasites/viruses and microbes
i'm hoping to study it

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Tobree

Study it!!! Cure it!!! My reflexes could use some sharpening, and I eat just about anything, so I'm sure I've probably got it.

Although, for whatever reason, I noticed after my kids were born, my reflexes sharpened to almost precognition stage!! I was catching falling glasses at the dinner table even before they fell, and catching tumbling kids before they hit the ground. It was amazing!! Some kind of adaptation for fathers I suppose? It is starting to dull again now?

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Maybe you were bit by the same arachnid as spiderman?

ooo.

Up to half of the UK population will have a toxoplasmosis infection at some point in their lives. Once infected, a person is then immune from further infection for life.
NHS

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I once saw a video of Joe Rogan ripping into some Brazilian guy and insinuating he had this parasite. It was kind of funny (maybe staged?). Anyway, that is an interesting idea about the cat hoarders. I never thougt about that.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
No. Bacteria evolve but they are not intelligent. I am a cat owner by choice and have many cats (dogs too) because I have compassion. That's not a conspiracy, but more or less a trait lacking in too many humans which is why there is such a severe overpopulation of animals.

Bacteria in and of itself do not have a central processing center or a brain, they are comprised of DNA surrounded by cytoplasm and ribosomes, a plasma membrane and cell wall. That's about it. Their DNA is evolving to withstand assaults by B cells and T cells and antibiotics, and that DNA is doing a pretty darn good job too. But, the bacteria itself is too primitive to be capable of making any kind of intelligent decision for its own survival.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by justsaying

reply to post by justsaying

It's not bacteria you'll be surprised what some parasites can do tho..
also some research has linked it to various psychiatric disorders such as depression, anxiety and schizophrenia.

for example eucochloridium paradoxum

anyway on topic if you look in to parasite you'll see it changes rats instincts and other mammals who's to say you might not be infected?
edit on 7-10-2011 by Tobree because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
These findings about the mind control parasite remind me of this scene in the Star Trek Wrath Of Khan.

(At 2:00 in this vid)

More things in Star Trek that come true in real life!

edit on 7-10-2011 by Saucerwench because: add an edit

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join