It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A comet? a Planet? I saw something last night

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

Originally posted by lbndhr
If you are looking at the Texas map find DelRio on the border 150 miles south of san Antonio. I am at the west end of lake amestad, I was facing Sonora of highway 277. The time was inberween 9:00 and 9:30. I did do the 8 x zoom on all the pics. I do have a few pics I took from my phone this object from my phones view looks like a star. When I camera zoomed it I saw a planet.
Del Rio is West of San Antonio, not south, it's south of Sonora.

Anyway here's the view at 9:30 last night from Del Rio. Jupiter was visible to the east, as a bright planet. You can see about how high it was, but you need to scroll to the right to see it.

There was also a bright star, Capella, to the Northeast.
edit on 4-10-2011 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

Del Rio is actually south south-west of san Antonio. Anyhow I think your correct on what I saw the stars around it are how I saw it. What I don't understand now is, how after all these months nearly a year of ylthe same view every night how this suddenly appeared in plain site. I have a nightly ritual and last night it was completely new and different. Night before i did not see it.
edit on 4-10-2011 by lbndhr because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Del Rio is actually south south-west of san Antonio. Anyhow I think your correct on what I saw the stars around it are how I saw it.
You call this south southwest? A is San Antonio and B is Del Rio:

It sure looks west to me. Straight west would be 270 degrees. Maybe it's 269 degrees, but I don't see how you get south out of that map at all, it's very close to due West.

What I don't understand now is, how after all these months nearly a year of ylthe same view every night how this suddenly appeared in plain site. I have a nightly ritual and last night it was completely new and different. Night before i did not see it.
Maybe there were a few clouds the night before?

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

Del Rio is actually south south-west of san Antonio. Anyhow I think your correct on what I saw the stars around it are how I saw it.
You call this south southwest? A is San Antonio and B is Del Rio:

It sure looks west to me. Straight west would be 270 degrees. Maybe it's 269 degrees, but I don't see how you get south out of that map at all, it's very close to due West.

What I don't understand now is, how after all these months nearly a year of ylthe same view every night how this suddenly appeared in plain site. I have a nightly ritual and last night it was completely new and different. Night before i did not see it.
Maybe there were a few clouds the night before?

Maybe there were clouds, clouds-rain have become rare around here I don't remember the sly being blurred due to clouds in over 2 weeks or longer, but again I may be wrong.
Regardless I will be better prepared tonight and hopefully get better pics.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Regardless I will be better prepared tonight and hopefully get better pics.
Unless you have a telescope to mount your camera to, you're not prepared to take pictures of a planet.

howto.wired.com...

if you want to photograph the moon or planets, you'll need to mount your camera to a telescope.

If you really want to get pictures of a planet that look like a planet, you'll need to follow the instructions in that link carefully.

But even if you use a tripod and get it in focus, all your photo will show without a telescope, is just a dot, and a planet dot doesn't look any different from a star dot in a dot photo. A dot in a photo isn't particularly interesting, so don't get your hopes up even if you do everything right.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join