It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The noise is driving me crazy!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I wish I could live out in the middle of nowhere.

Maybe then I would get some peace and quiet. I live in an old house that has been converted into apartments. Being old and built without the intention of ever being an apartment building, noises from your neighbors are often heard. Most of them I do not mind. Yes, I'm going to hear the people above walking around sometimes. Fine. Maybe every now and then I'll hear a neighbor talking if they talk loud enough. (They have to be screaming though.) All of that I can take and block out. The thing I CAN NOT STAND is hearing my neighbor's music!!!!!
More specifically, the bass. The "BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!" that vibrate the walls. (Floors, when it's coming from the people below me.)

As soon as I hear it, I get an image in my mind of me entering a nut house. I also get instantly tense, aggitated, and down right angry! The other day I was sitting in my room, reading a good book. Suddenly, the floor began to vibrate like I was at a concert. The people below me decided to listen to some music. I decided to give them a call (didn't want to change to go knock on their door) to ask them to turn the bass down. What did the lady that answered the phone do? Yelled that it wasn't loud and she was not going to be turning it down. When I started to explain that my bedroom floor was shaking, she hung up on me!
Angry, I slammed a heavy book on the floor. In a few minutes, just as I knew he would, her husband came up and knocked on my door. (He was at the store when I called.) I explained to him what I said to his wife. He was confused he said, because it's not that loud. I admitte to him, that while the music itself was not loud, and I have been in their apartment while they had the stereo on and it wasn't loud, the bass was and bass carries. You do not really hear it when in the room with the stereo. But go in the next room, or upstairs in my case, and you hear it and feel it!

Anyway, I have always hated hearing the bass from neighbors playing their music. I simply can not block it out. I even tried earplugs, even though they hurt my ears, and they didn't help at all. And now that my neighbors are playing their music everyday, other noises are getting to me. I live in the heart of this small town. For such a small town, it is noisy! I have always been senitive to noise. But lately....it is driving me crazy!!!

I just wish that people who live in apartments had more consideration for their neighbors. I don't want to hear your music at any time of the day. I don't pay hundreds of dollars each month to listen to your crappy music!

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
an advise: find a place, a park or forest, where you can calm down and breath freely when it becomes too much.

edit on 3-10-2011 by icepack because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Well said but on the flip side, THEY ALSO PAY HUNDREDS A MONTH TOO FOR RENT AND WANT TO LISTEN TO WHATEVER THEY WANT TO LISTEN TO. wheew was that load enough lol

but anyway they should be allowed to listen to whatever they want to right. i mean geez, if it was me i would turn the bass down some for ya, but im playing devils advocate here. so dont get to mad.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Try living somewhere where the walls in the bathroom are thinner than any other wall in your home.

Uncomfortable is an understatement.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Its called noise anxiety, welcome to my world, sorry bro but theres no cure that I know of and it was me who had to research it online and go to my GP to tell them what it was, go figure.
Oh and it also means I am homeless until I find a detached house, in the UK thats a rarity, especially for someone on benefits (long story short I am stuck in a circle of anxiety and anxiety related illnesses that cause more anxiety).
edit on 3-10-2011 by keepithush because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Oh, I hate that! I feel for you! I went through that twice, once when I was in college and I lived on the first floor of an old house and the floors above were rented out to some kids who had a band and they would practice right over my livingroom (and they weren't even good). The other time was when my kids were in grade school and we had a townhouse with a shared wall. The townhouse on the other side of the wall was being used by some college students who partied at all hours, with their music blasting loudly through our wall. We had to get up at five a.m. for work and get our sleep deprived kids to school, so we weren't too happy about it. They were living there rent free on Mommy's dime - Mom had purchased the condo for her dear sweet daughter to live in and go to college. After I called the cops on them a few times, Mom showed up at the HOA meeting to complain about the mean lady who was harassing her daughter (me) and ended up giving me her phone number, telling me to call her the next time it happened. It happened that very night, and I called the Mom and let her listen to the noise in my home from next door through the phone. She hung up and those kids were moved out within about two weeks and Mom sold the townhouse to someone else.
edit on 3-10201110-1111 by gwynnhwyfar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I feel sorry for the OP. My sons play booming bass type music.

Luckily I have solid walls but when I'm in the kitchen trying to do some work and that flipping music starts above me, I listen for as long as I can then I have to take the broom to the ceiling and bang up to them because I can't take any more. It can make you demented.

Everyone has the right to listen to whatever music they want but they should be careful not to share it with their neighbours. It's not fair. You don't need to blast it to enjoy it. If you have neighbours and thin walls you HAVE to keep it down.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I sympathize with you. I am very noise sensitive. I used to live in an old house that was turned into an apartment too (built in 1915). I have also lived in apartments in which you hear everything your neighbors are doing because the walls were cheap and thin.

My husband and I saved for years in order to buy a place literally in the middle of nowhere. It is peaceful and quiet and I thank God every day that we were able to get out of the city.

Being as I am an ornery sort of individual, if I were you, I would buy a subwoofer and set it so that it is pointing down. Then crank up some thumping music over where the neighbor's bedroom is in the evening and see how they like it.

They sound a bit selfish. I mean, people who have subwoofers in their cars driving by our house in the city used to rattle our windows. I can't imagine how they don't understand that the bass in their stereo doesn't carry. When you live with a bunch of people side-by-side, it is NOT ok to crank up your tunes. If you want the freedom to pollute the air with noise, go buy a house. Not sure where you live, but you can get the cops to come out and tell them to turn it down in the US. I would rather be ornery, though, but that's just me

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I suffered with this for over five years with my neighbours in UK. For the first few years I would knock and ask nicely. We used to get on even though we mortgage and they're council.
But then we had had enough and we complained to the local noise control dept. But they don't come out before 9am between 3-7pm or after 12pm and not on weekends. Go figure as those happen to be the times she had the bass on.

In the end after a traumatic holiday where we nearly died I had had enough and i got a hammer and started to bang some holes in the wall which made me feel tons better I was shouting too what I don't remember. But when she come calling I started banging the door, part of me wanted to open it and do it to her head but part of me kept it closed. She then wrecked my porch and so I called the police. They came and she had run to Manchester.
Then she got caught by the noise control and got an eviction notice if she was caught again in one year.

I found that it helped if I put on my own music over their bass- headphones or loud music. Classical helped and praise and worship also. Get even and find something they don't like and do it, so you can work out a truce.

What actually stopped it was when she went on a drink bender, she left the fry pan on and we heard the smoke alarm go on for minutes. We banged on her door even though we couldn't stand her by then, and saved her life. We have made up now but now the other neighbours have gone bad they sent their dog over and killed 5 of my rabbits and laughed at my children when they cried. Yes I told the RSPCA and the Police. They don't care about rabbits.

Good luck. I would love to live on an island, I hate hateful people.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Things have gotten better with the neighbors below me. He did turn the bass off of his stereo system and I have very pleased and thankful about it.

I have read about noise anxiety and believe that is what I have. There is no "crue". Only steps you can take to lessen the anxiety.

Thanks to all who understand and can relate.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Shawny2222

Mercury poisoning from Silver Amalgam fillings, fish,etc
can cause an extreme sensitivity to noise in some
people.
I had it for many decades until I removed
all my Mercury fillings.

new topics

top topics

join