It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Toy In Candy Bag Appears To Depict 9/11 Attack

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Ok, now this article has me PO'd!
A company is selling a toy to kids that is a replica of the WTC with a plane flying in to the building.

Read the article and look at the picture slide show.

ORLANDO, Fla. -- A bag of candy shocked a local grandmother and will most likely shock you. The toy inside looks like a plane flying right into the Twin Towers. Now, that toy is off some local store shelves because of our story.

link to the story, john
www.wftv.com...

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Who would design a toy showing that. That's just crazy!

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 11:32 AM
link   
thats pretty messed up.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Whoever did this was going for shock value and cheap way to 15 minutes of fame.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I can't believe the reaction of the people selling the toy:

Lisy says they bought the toys, sight unseen, from L and M Import/Export of Miami. We talked to L and M and they say they have no problem at all with the toy and don't consider it offensive at all.

We even pointed out to the import company that every single toy has a stock number on the front that reads "9011." L and M Imports didn't find it all coincidental and said it's just a toy. Asked if they'd talk on camera, they said there is nothing to talk about.

They've got to be kidding.
How could they not see the problem with this and say they don't see the coincidence with the stock number?

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Anybody notice the base the towers are on looks like coffin?

Bad taste award for 2004 goes to......

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Truly Tastless.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I see a plane between two buildings? The problem of that being what? Pre 9/11 this would have been nothing. 9/11 has been etched into peoples minds and now anything similair is just bad taste.

SMR

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arek
I see a plane between two buildings? The problem of that being what? Pre 9/11 this would have been nothing. 9/11 has been etched into peoples minds and now anything similair is just bad taste.

Come man,think a little.Maybe some dont see it in bad taste,but it is definitly a stupid idea.
What is really bad is just think of all the idiots who bought them and will put them on ebay

The problem here is that the toy makes no sense at all.What exactly do you do with it?I think they just put together something without thinking.But after seeing it for awhile,one would think maybe it is not such a good idea.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Brought to you by the "Tavistock Toy Co."

Better wash that candy down with some fluoridated tap water, sonny.

SMR

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Are they one of the many candy companies that contain lead?
I do know alot of mexican candy does.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Nothing creates a collectors item faster than some local news coverage and an outraged mom. Looks more like the Empire State and the plane that flew into it to me. Before September 11 no one would have thought twice about it. Yeah, it's kind of tacky, but could it have just been a skyline with dreamy buildings high enough to touch the clouds? Sometimes I think we're getting a little *oversensative* to things these days. The worst was people editing scenes of the WTC out of movies, taking down or hiding pictures of the WTC... Someone made the point that we don't hide pictures of dead relatives, we shouldn't hide the WTC either. Thankfully you see images of it more and more, but the sensitivity overkill is a bit much. Sometimes the fear is worse than the reality. Oh well.. let the flames begin.. (over sensitive people: thats INTERNET flames not WTC flames or explosions, K?).

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Nothing creates a collectors item faster than some local news coverage and an outraged mom.

I have to admit that if I could procure said item I would. I passed on the"gay" or "raver" Ken doll- Have you seen how much you can get for one of those now?

- One of those Collector Idiots.

[edit on 27-8-2004 by Der Kapitan]

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 08:50 PM
link   
The first thing I did when I read this was check to see if one was on Ebay.

I too imagine that this thing could fetch a pretty penny.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 09:02 PM
link   
LOL @ PistolPete . As I was reading this I was thinking I should check eBay to see what people are selling it for.

But this is the WTF toy of the year.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 11:32 AM
link   
The thing is the toys are from an import company, the candy company said they buy their toys like this from an importer, who imported the toy from overseas and probably did not even know what kind of toy it was, which clearly indicates that the toy is available in some overseas markets. So the issue and the question is what country is making these toys and selling them, thus making money off of such a tragedy? So the question is what country thinks that its appropriate to give small children such a toy to play with?

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Rodriguez has pictures of the Twin Towers in her living room to remember the victims of 9/11. She says there is no mistake what the toy represents, especially when you look at the product number on every single toy: 9011.

I kind of wonder though... it's OK to raise your kids in the shadow of the missing towers, but God forbid they should be exposed to a toy depicting same disaster? The only depictions of 9/11 acceptable for kids are those their granny sees fit to hang on her wall?

Anyway, just a thought. Definately a stupid toy though. Like somebody else said, it probably came from overseas. If I came from a land where my people were, say, kept in their refugee camps with the help of US guns and helicopters, would this toy be more shocking than say, a GI Joe? Probably not.

-koji K.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 09:49 PM
link   
That being, how do you fit a huge passenger plane in a building (no less than twice)?

Crappy "toy" but it's the best puzzle I've seen in my lifetime.

new topics

top topics

join