It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has anyone changed their minds?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I'm curious, has anyone here on ATS actually changed their political affiliation, presidential candidate, or the like because of something they've read in one of these political threads? With all the partisan back and forth, and all the fact-spewing you figure it has to have had an effect right?

If not, al this "debate" it would just be a waste....right? Or is it just debate for the sake of debate, argument for the sake of argumet? Some people are entertained by that kind of thing after all.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Well, I used to be a liberal. I used to think that if you were open minded, you were generally liberal. I later found that to be false, and alot of liberal views require you to close your mind and be "Politicaly Correct" I'm more conservative now, although nobody is really 100% one way or the other. I believe in freedom of expression, not maintaining the status quo in society. ATS actually kinda contributed to this because I saw how close minded alot of "left siders" can be, no offence to any of them.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Nothing as earth shattering as a change in affiliation, but definitely little changes in some of my perceptions or beliefs.

First month I was here I got involved in a discussion about the muslim call to prayer being broadcast via PA somewhere in Michigan i think. I couldn't believe how insensitive people were, that they wouldn't afford some the same religious tolerance they would to others. Anyway, AmbientSound made a post arguing that courtesy should be extended both ways, yada, yada, yada. I read his post and really thought about it. And, well, he changed my mind set on the matter.

So it does happen, not often but it does happen.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Well, with the US political system, i had always thought of myself as a democrat...

Now i realise that the republicns and the democrats are the same thing with different names and faces... i have realised that i am more left than the normal 'leftist' and i also realise that most people are self centred and only care about how things will benefit them even if they claim to be 'left'

this also holds true in the Aussie system

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Herman
Well, I used to be a liberal. I used to think that if you were open minded, you were generally liberal. I later found that to be false, and alot of liberal views require you to close your mind and be "Politicaly Correct" I'm more conservative now, although nobody is really 100% one way or the other. I believe in freedom of expression, not maintaining the status quo in society. ATS actually kinda contributed to this because I saw how close minded alot of "left siders" can be, no offence to any of them.

Although, I had my conversion long before finding ATS, it was my experience in graduate school when I found out that my liberal views were considered to be reactionary by my fellow students and I found out the vicious tactics they use to shut me up and get me kicked out fo the program. It turned out that that even the liberal professors were appalled by the PC vilification campaign carried out against me and assisted my in my effort to continue my education even in the face of hostility and ostacism. I have vowed to be very vocal in my political opinons even in the face of vicious opposition.

I still maintain that I am a liberal, even if I am far more conservative that the marxist who masquerade as liberals.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Ok, that's two so far. Has anyone else changed their minds because of ATS political debate.

Personally, it's really had no effect on me. Well, actually it's soldified my position even more. While there are intelligent arguments on both sides (with many exceptions), I still find the left more my style.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 04:16 PM
link   
While I left the Republican party before ATS, I scoffed at the Libertarians and third parties.

I have been mulling it over quite a bit and reading more about it, and while I am not 100% Libertarian, I would say that "The Libertarian Party is the bastion for former republicans" line is true.

They are more for what I believe than the dems or the (as my old buddy Colonel used to say) Repugnants.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Actually the threads and post in the politics forum has made my decision stronger not doubt in my mine for who I am going to vote.

[edit on 27-8-2004 by marg6043]

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I can't say that the discussions here actually changed my mind about anything. I can say, however, that I have solidified my position by reading the posts of quite a few like minded folks here.
I have always been a mongrel of beliefs but more to the "right" overall. I had not EVER in my life registered with a political party until just a week ago. I'm truly not happy with the two individuals representing the primary parties at this time so I have joined the ranks of the Libertarians. Unfortunately, I will probably hold my nose and vote Bush in the general election but only out of my strong desire to keep KennedySchumerFeinsteinKerry out of the oval office until my party can make some headway in congress and actually get some recognition from the "free" press.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 04:36 PM
link   
SpecialasianX, I LOVE that avatar!

Great thread, btw. I hope many people join this discussion.

I used to be the most partisan conservative Republican you can imagine. I'm talkin' about a flamethrowing, firebreathing Rush Limbaugh listening, Fox News watching partisan. For me, the change came in increments, starting in the summer of 2001. I read a couple of books - one I had put off reading for a long time b/c I didn't want to see some ugly truths I knew I'd havta see - (Compromised: Clinton, Bush & the CIA); and "Rule by Secrecy." "Rule" was mind-boggling. In it I learned about OPERATION NORTHWOODS, among other things. By the time 9-11 happened, I completely understood the whole PRETEXT, Hegelian Dialectic thing. All I can say is I am SO glad I read that book and "Compromised" before the September attack. It gave me massive insight. After the 9-11 dust settled, I dove into my research and investigation and havn't stopped yet. A paradigm shifted in my mind following those events.

Based on what I've learned and on the actions of the Bush administration and the GOP controlled congress, I believe they have gone so far to the darkside it's beyond unreal. I used to be damn proud to be a Republican. These days, I'm thoroughly disgusted with them. Their dishonesty and hypocrisy is staggering. And that's putting it mildly. Oh yes, and they profess to be, as silly Gary Bauer put it, "the party of home and hearth." The Christian party. Folks, there is nothing remotely Christian about the current GOP. They wear it like a costume for political benefit. They are wolves in sheep's clothing.

Having said that, let me also say this: the corporately-controlled two-party system is a joke. It's so rigged it's abominable. Just because I no longer identify with the GOP, I am not signing up to be a Democrat. They're party is just as bad. Give me a leader who loves this nation, puts it first and exercises common sense, strength and decency. I don't care what their affiliation is.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
Give me a leader who loves this nation, puts it first and exercises common sense, strength and decency. I don't care what their affiliation is.

Ahhh one can only hope. I don't see it happening though.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 05:58 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 06:33 PM
link   
No ATS did not change my mind. It happend much earlier in my life. I had two working parents in the sixties before it was fashionable or necessary so I watched lots of TV including what passed for news. I was as a child enthralled by what was happening in Vietnam and kept a close track on what was going on. I remember the country's relief and hope with Nixon and Kissengers "peace with honor" and Nixons detente with China and Russia.

After spending years doing "duck and cover" exercise's in school, an orderly pullout in Vietnam and the diplomatic opening with China along with the SALT talks with the Russians offered hope that the cold war was having a thaw.

Then Watergate came along and dashed those hopes for me (yeah you can blame Nixon, let me assure you he had plenty of help from his enemies, democrats)

We then suffered a malaise of leadership both in the whitehouse (Ford) and more importantly congress (democratic majority) which completly broke the agreement (treaty) we had with South Vietnam to supply material support after the 73' "Vietmanization" of the war, we in essence allowed the rug to be pulled right from under these people by 1975 - that we had promised to help.

Over a million and a half died because of (democrats) our inability to keep our promise.

Lets not even mention what happened in Cambodia and Laos.

Then we suffered the Carter "lower your expectations" years which rankled me to no end as the Soviets thumbed their nose's at Carter's weakness. (how did he ever lead a sub?)

My first presidential election to vote in was 1980 and I voted for Reagan because he spoke of hope and positive thinking, you'all know that history quite well.

Voted Reagan again in 84', Bush Sr. in 88' and 92'

Watched as Clinton ruined the military and espoused a whats in it for me attitude on the country for eight long years that worked like opium on the masse's (still coming down from that crap)

I'll stop here or we all will get in an argument abuot Bush Jr., Gore and Kerry.

Anyway I'm sure all of you have no doubt where my vote is going to go.

Kerry=Carter, to me, Weakness in a world that has no forgiveness for it.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 06:37 AM
link   
I used to be conservative. My husband is a republican so we discustingly fed off eachother, and had long boring right wing conversations about how things "should" be done....

Well, I started researching the lp's stance of certain issues, I understand their points, and they hold much validity if you believe that A is A (Aristotle).
Not a is a on this issue, but a is b here, a is c here, ect...

I see lot's of double standards in the left and right epistomology, while they wouldn't see it, it's easy for us outsiders to spot it. My husaband is listening to me and we talked about the libertarians when we were at a bar last night talking to some lonely old man, and they both agree that the libertarian's are more to the right then left, many people lose respect for them because of their loose stance on drugs really...

My biggest concern is having things done at a state and municipal level rather then everything being done at a federal level, more tax money is wasted this way, things done get done as good as they could, we don't see where tax dollars are going, at least at the state and municipal levels we would definitely.

*answer to your question* = yes

top topics

join