It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Media caught lying or just being slack? Computer game clip used in IRA documentary

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Just read this article and thought I'd share it. I cannot make my mind up on whether this is really lazy journalism, using a video game to pad out a broadcast thinking nobody would notice (I mean come on!! Really?!) or is it media propaganda attempting to influence anti gadafi sentiments on the masses by tying him into IRA activities supported by video that is not actually real video? We know he had links to the IRA in the 70's and 80's did it really need a computer game to substantiate the fact?
I really don't know what to believe with this one but a startling thought is this - the media have been caught out now but how many times in the past did they get away with it?

www.bbc.co.uk...
edit on 28/9/11 by markygee because: wrong broadcaster mentioned its ITV not BBC.

edit on 28/9/11 by markygee because: The word 'Media' might draw more interest than 'ITV'

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by markygee

i saw this program and it was propaganda orientated. i even saw the scene in which you speak of, they shot down a helicopter. even that shocked me slightly seeing the level of violence, and i was seeing the program for what it was.. i had no clue it was video game footage.

that just confirms my original suspicions about this documentary..

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Thing is why would he have links to the I.R.A he isnt a catholic.

Maybe im missing something here dunno, but why the hell would he take anything to do with the fags of the IRA..

Being from N.ireland the IRA all deserve to be shot in the head, considering we have tryed to make piece all the time. Yet they continue to bomb innocent people over there own pride.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Cant wait for the US to use footage of Space Invaders to justify a massive military buildup to battle alien forces.

My guess is that up to 75% of the population will see the footage as evidence of a real threat.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misterlondon

i saw this program and it was propaganda orientated. i even saw the scene in which you speak of, they shot down a helicopter. even that shocked me slightly seeing the level of violence, and i was seeing the program for what it was.. i had no clue it was video game footage.

that just confirms my original suspicions about this documentary..

Im no IRA or Gadafi sympathiser by any means, but it irks me to think there is an attitude of " why let the public make their own minds up when we can do it for them AND they're so stupid that we can quicken the process by playing computer game video's in the programme as evidence and no one will even realise. Genius!"

Its good to know you can still trust your instincts even with the blanket crap thrown on us by the press.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   

ITV has apologised after footage it said was from an IRA propaganda video was in fact from a computer game

It appears they were caught in the act and removed the clip you were talking about.
Oh, and this is my first post btw. I hope I quoted correctly.

edit on 28-9-2011 by zombicide83 because: Darn, I thought you caught them and linked to the page, who then removed it. /facepalm

ETA: Darn, I thought you caught them and linked to the page, who then removed it. /facepalm
edit on 28-9-2011 by zombicide83 because: Didn't read well enough.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by CharterZZ

Maybe im missing something here dunno, but why the hell would he take anything to do with the fags of the IRA..

Being from N.ireland the IRA all deserve to be shot in the head, considering we have tryed to make piece all the time. Yet they continue to bomb innocent people over there own pride.

He offered services to the IRA, military training, weapons, explosives - how to use and the supply of, it wasn't anything to do with religion as far as he was concerned it was to do with sticking his fingers up at the west.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Cant wait for the US to use footage of Space Invaders to justify a massive military buildup to battle alien forces.

My guess is that up to 75% of the population will see the footage as evidence of a real threat.

Ha ha, I think next the UK media will pass off call of duty footage as actual head cam video to show the battle of the siege of sirte!

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Nice catch.

By the way, the ARMA series of games is awesome.

One of my favorite games honestly. Nice to see that some people think it's realistic enough to pass off as real footage.

A few clips for anyone who doesn't know what it's about.

With the editor you can create basically anything. So you could make 'footage' for any type of semi-realistic conflict you can think up.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   

because the american/british bombed him and killed his daughter, so as he knew the situation here in ireland he decided to finance and arm the IRA.

like do all paramilitary groups in ireland. and i think you mean (R)IRA continue to bomb. not (p)ira they disbanded.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by truthseeker10

Actually no i dont give a # what type of 'IRA ' they are, the ones on our side ' prodeisant' ( altho i hate them all with passion to) are all for piece apparently. IRA are ballbags, thing is i know guys that know them, and i hear the score from them first hand.

There all idiots anyway fuk them all. Not worth taking about.

edit - also gadaffi had links to IRA in the 70's/80's we did not bomb him then!!
edit on 28-9-2011 by CharterZZ because: (no reason given)

Another edit - i know i cant spell for sh1t ps3 keyboard p1sses me off
edit on 28-9-2011 by CharterZZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Think you need to get your facts straight before you start making comments like that.
The provisional IRA has laid down its weapons and it has been like that for quite a while now,.. it's the scum that call themselves the Real IRA that are doing all the idiotic crap now!

And who are you referring to when you say 'considering we have tryed to make piece all the time'?
I assume you aren't talking about the loyalist groups that were as bad as, if not worse, than the PIRA at the height of the troubles.
If that is who you are referring to then I think you are seriously deluded.

I think that it shows how far ireland has come, North & South, that Martin McGuinness is now running for the Irish presidency.

Ok, little rant over. On topic:
Seems like really lazy or incompetent journalism, done to stir up trouble.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Of course.......lol

This is right up there with Iran being caught using old stock footage of missile launches to show off their "new missiles" and N. Korea using scenes from Top Gun while describing their military encounters.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by cahlmac

Put it like this m8 i dont know where your from but im a, make that, was a prod, and i know top catholics, top ones and they tell me the PIRA are the fuking RIRA in disguse not all but they devopled into it.

I think there all crazy anyway, being an agnostic myself, but hey they still kill themselfs and eachother like the fools they are.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   

reply to post by cahlmac

Put it like this m8 i dont know where your from but im a, make that, was a prod, and i know top catholics, top ones and they tell me the PIRA are the fuking RIRA in disguse not all but they devopled into it.

I think there all crazy anyway, being an agnostic myself, but hey they still kill themselfs and eachother like the fools they are.

Dun na nGall,..m8.
Yeah, it's true the RIRA are the 'leftovers' from the PIRA that just want to keep fighting even though the majority of catholics in Northern Ireland, I believe, totally disagree with what they are doing.

I'm not trying to start an argument here, I just think that the loyalist groups were just as vicious and ruthless as the republicans and also didn't want peace for a long time.
If the RIRA had any sense about them they would see that the peace process is working and the 30 years of trouble the province went through didn't get either side much further forward.
All it achieved was the needless deaths of thousands of people.

Really like Northern Ireland by the way, always a great welcome to be had and it's hard to beat a weekend in Belfast every now and again.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

Of course.......lol

This is right up there with Iran being caught using old stock footage of missile launches to show off their "new missiles" and N. Korea using scenes from Top Gun while describing their military encounters.

ha ha I'd forgot about that top gun footage, might do a net trawl and see if i can start a thread about lying media caught out.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   

reply to post by cahlmac

lol wtf is a top catholic??? you know the pope

take it from me as a former catholic from derry, the two groups are different yes some pira went over to the realer's but it's mostly made up of younger guy's. tell me this if a glentoran player moves to linfield that doesnt mean he's still a glen does it??

please dont think loyalist groups are standing back and doing nothing because of peace it's because of funding they recieve from the government nothing else ( republican groups do this also ). and on that note of government funding they have more agents within disident repuplican groups than ever before lol.

edit on 29-9-2011 by truthseeker10 because: 4got

top topics

join