It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook and Google: The Secret Revealed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
This guy puts it in terms everyone can understand. It's very interesting how this "invisible filter" that has been developed tailors from one individual to the next.

FB and Google aren't the only ones flirting with these filters. Yahoo, Huffington Post, Netflix, just a couple examples of how this personal filter can skew what information you receive. It's becoming an algorithmic gatekeeper, limiting the potential so you only see what you are comfortable with; not challenging or bringing any kind of new information because "you won't be interested" is the assumption based on your click history.

Simply put, click nothing and everything.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I had never thought about it like that before.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Makes me want to go back to school for programming just so I could cover all of my electronic tracks.

Second.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by topdog30

Knew about this and there is a way around the Google bubble: use other search engines like: Startpage or duckduckgo, both claim they do not tailor search results. As for FB, what else is there to say? We all (should) by now, know the problems that come with it... On the global issue of internet filtering... Sigh...

edit on 28-9-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Good speech - by a liberal of all things. I totally agree with him, no matter what your beliefs, no one needs to be excluding data that should be available. Leave the decision-making up to the individual, not some algorithm.

It just shows that the people in the driver's seat don't want you bitching about where we're going or how we're getting there.

My suggestion: Make your search terms very specific and lengthy. Five or six words in quotes.

BTW, EVeryone flag this. It needs to be on the front page. Even I didn't know the censorship was this advanced.

edit on 28-9-2011 by AwakeinNM because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

The thing is, this is not limited to just a couple websites. This is being applied to the whole web.
I don't think we should let some algorithm control what "we think" we want to search, I want to see everything and decide for myself what I want to click on.

The freedom of the internet is being invisibly taken away from us...

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by InnerTruths

I get it, but what do you (or anyone, for that matter) do about it? People won't/can't avoid using the services (google, et al) so without massive outrage and/or focused industry pressure, what are you left with to combat this issue? Not much...
edit on 28-9-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   

well, I would imagine the first step would be to educate people that this is happening in the first place. You can't do anything without knowing it exists.
So I am trying to raise awareness, thats what I'm trying to do at least.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Not arguing with you (awareness is crucial) just wondering(out loud) what the next step is and of course, whether anyone (Joe Public, that is) even cares...

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   

I hope that if more people become aware, the more questions start being asked, the more pressure we put on those who try and control theses things. We can't just let them get away with this kind of stuff!

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   

I watched this video today. Was gonna post a thread about it, why hasn't this gotten more replies?
When you think about it, it is basically stealth internet censorship.
edit on 2-10-2011 by RisenAngel77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   

nothing to say at mo, going to bed. Just wanted to reply so I can find the thread later!

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   
I use scroogle for the really sensitive stuff, (and the weird!) and to confuse google, I type in items that I am not really interested in, but to give google a really broad base of subjects that it has to archive, but not alfabeticaly.(spell check cannot figure that one out!)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by RisenAngel77

I wish I knew. Perhaps the Wall Street Occupation might be overshadowing this a little, but I can't blame people.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
wow , that is insane!

new topics

top topics

join