It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No More Religion at the Taxpayer's Expense

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 05:34 PM
link   
With so many different sects of religion, is it not time to end tax breaks for religious organizations? There are so many in recent years (I live in the bible belt), and I am sure many are in it for the money. How about we make it harder to get tax breaks and maybe the people going into ministry will be those who truly desire to follow that path. Any way you look at it, I don't go to church, and I don't think that churches should get breaks that I don't.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Any way you look at it, I don't go to church, and I don't think that churches should get breaks that I don't.

They not only get tax brakes but also free money for churches, if you want to start a new church the goverment will give money to do it.

Now if I am in need for some problem will the govermnet give me money? no not realy, unless I start a new church.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Marj - The gov't gives money for someone to start a churh? I would like to see a link to that to investigate further.

Strianissa:

As for the topic, the churches get the same breaks as any other non-profit organizations. You are right, it is definately abused. But if we abolish these tax breaks they will have to apply to everyone. In the case of legit and worthy churches it would be a burden, but I suspect they would survive. In the case of a lot of worthy non-profits a lot would go under. Are you willing to watch to see what happens then? Many of them do what the gov't can't or won't. Many of them keep the gov't on their toes for us (environmental, etc.)

There is really a lot to think about in the big picture on this one.

[edit on 26-8-2004 by Relentless]

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 08:09 PM
link   
If churches start to get taxed then I suspect that many of them will use that as a claim (and a relatively legitimate one) to have more say in governemental affairs.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 08:22 PM
link   
How about you recognize the contribution the Churches make to the government.

How about Christianity Judaism. Close all their churches, drug treatment centers, hospitals, nursing homes, universities, and all their charities! Let Federal Govt. pick up the slack left behind. What ya think?

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 09:48 PM
link   
i could be mistaken, but i believe it's rather difficult for a new church to get tax exempt status, which they need in order to be recognized as a church and thus get a tax break. and old cult or sect can't just come along and say they're a church, the gov't investigates each one thouroghly before giving the tax break.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 08:33 AM
link   
It really depends on what religion you claim... If you claim you are Christian, they don't look into you much. But if you aren't Christian, it can be a nightmare to go through the process.

Originally posted by astroblade
i could be mistaken, but i believe it's rather difficult for a new church to get tax exempt status, which they need in order to be recognized as a church and thus get a tax break. and old cult or sect can't just come along and say they're a church, the gov't investigates each one thouroghly before giving the tax break.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 10:11 AM
link   
What makes you say that?

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Okay, it isn't exactly easy, but compaired to ANY other group, it is going to be easier simply because you don't have all the extra crap involved in justifying why you are a valid religion. Nobody is going to be like "and this 'Jeezusse' fellow? would you consider him a pacifist?" while tapping their fingers and glaring at you as if you follow a psychopath.

Our political system is accustomed to the basic ideas of Christianity. Now- if you tried to open a church as a druid, most of the time you have to go back as far as explaining why you could even be called a religion. There is no groudwork already laid out for you.

Regardless of who you are, it is going to depend on who is in charge in your area so maybe saying easy isn't always fair, but I definately think it is fair to say it's much easier. This could probably be applied to many Jewish groups as well, but then there are many Jews who face discrimination.

Originally posted by Nygdan
What makes you say that?

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 12:35 PM
link   
While I'm for tax exempt status of charitable organizations, and applaud any Church or group that fits that definition...when they cross the line into pulpit politics or basically just get on my nerves...
They are a business IMO.

Has anyone seen "Jesus Junction" in Atlanta? That was my neighborhood once upon a time. And nothing infuritated me more than getting my insane property tax bill while giant Cathedrals and Baptismal playgrounds with their locked basketball gyms and indoor swimming pools (I was not invited to use without converting) sat there tax free.

They'd argue they benefit "the community" though from what I could tell in homeowners association meetings...none of us went. We just got stuck in our own homes every weekend as suburbanites traveled in to the "look at me" Churches and blocked our driveways with their stupid minivans

I have no idea of the tax status of giant Masonic lodges that do the same thing. Basically importing suburbanites to prime real estate locations with useless idolatry locked up from the public 6.9 days a week...though we do get to look at the glorious eyesores 24/7 from a distance, but if they aren't paying property taxes...they should be.

Note, I'm not saying tax good works for anyone. I'm saying TAX the golden calf statues (basically). Anything owned needs to pay property tax.

And witnessing unto itself is not charity. That's a membership drive for revenue stream. Bah. Evil xtians.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Sorry for the misunderstanding of my earlier post.

You can get grants to open a church if is going to be use for services to the community and they don't have to be paid back.

Churches do give to the community in the for of help to deal with social problems.

They can also give refuge to the homeless and they have centers to help with abuse women and children, some of them work in conjunction with government agencies to provide counseling and job training.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 11:20 PM
link   
If there are those who feel that the tax breaks are too much and those who feel that they are adequate, then perhaps reductions are a fair compromise.

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
While I'm for tax exempt status of charitable organizations, and applaud any Church or group that fits that definition...when they cross the line into pulpit politics or basically just get on my nerves...
They are a business IMO.

Bingo! They offer a service (whether that is weddings or funerals or mass) and either charge you or expect you to add to the collection plate.

new topics

top topics

join