It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Controversial BakeSale Highlights Debate on Bill Allowing California Colleges to Consider Race, Gend

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

Sorry, not really up on how to link. So basically, if this law is passed, the school will be able to use race and gender as factors in the admission process. To protest this, a group of students had a bake sale charging different races/genders different prices. Obviously, this is being seen as quite controversial. I do not believe race or gender should have a say in any kind of admission or hiring process. I think people should be chosen based on merit. What do you guys think?

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
NPR interviewed one of the students in the bake

The students say the sale was only meant to be a satire of legislation that would allow California universities to consider race, gender, ethnicity and national origin during admissions.
the organizers’ plan to charge different students diffferent amounts for the cupcakes they’re selling, with the price structure as follows:

— White/Caucasian students, $2 for each baked good.

— Asians/Asian-Americans, $1.50.

— Latinos/Hispanics, $1.

— Blacks/African-Americans, 75 cents.

— Native Americans, 25 cents.

Women get 25 cents off the price.
sale today... www.washingtonpost.com...

yup read a thread about it here yesterday... interesting way to get attention on your issue the people throwing the bake sale Republican students at the University of California, Berkeley

so no surprises there they are what they are...smell bad too

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
we should be choosen by our grades by our knowledge our expertise in the area we are applying or by the training we already have....

it should never matter who the hell we are......what color are skin is what are background is...when the f did it ever become anyones business...this is infuriating that i should pay more because im white. i didnt CHOOSE to be white i was BORN white....if someone comes in for a job interview they should be hired because of there skill their knowledge and their experience in the field over oh hey his chines we know they good at math grab him!

if you want equal rights you get to deal with the same BS everyone else does regardless of who the hell you are.

edit because p.s. the bake sale sold out of cupcakes...
edit on 27-9-2011 by Calex1987 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Preferential admission policy == racism.
...second line.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Hmmmm

how do they determine the race ?

better yet, WHO makes the call

and,

do they take food stamps ?

how would a blind person tell ?
the dog maybe

edit on Sep-27-2011 by xuenchen because: [color=limegreen]DNA is the only determination !

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
we are not fish, don't bite, just know that this is wrong.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Sorry did not realize this was a thread already... My bad. But I hate this like of crud. It's a joke to use race and gender in the process of admission to school or hiring. They used to do this kind of thing before the civil rights movement. Now we are all equal, except for those deemed to be more equal than others. What I get from this idea, is that to eliminate discrimination, we must discriminate against the group that used to be the predominate discriminators. Makes sense? I doubt that. Reverse discrimination is still discrimination...

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Sorry, I honestly didn't find the thread when I searched it. I'm not really one to even make a thread, I am usually a lurked. This just kind of irked me. So I figured I would give it a shot.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by exdog5
Existing Thread

This thread is now closed.

new topics

top topics

join