It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grrrrr How far will tolerance go

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Ok having a tolerant understanding society is one thing BUT!!!!

news.bbc.co.uk...

whats next ? How far ??

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 04:29 PM
link   
When I've been overseas, I've been expected to follow the laws of the country I'm in. No special exceptions granted or expected. I choose not to live in parts of the world that disagree with my beliefs on how women should be treated or considered. People who live here, or in Canada should not expect the society which they have joined to radically change to fit their beliefs. Not to suggest anyone shouldn't be here, but if you disagree with the current laws and systems in a given country, perhaps thats not the place you should look to move to.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Ontario Orthodox Jews are able to settle their civil disputes in religious courts, so why not Muslims?

WTF? Religious courts? When did this happen? This is the most backwards human behavior I have ever heard of! How can you even put those two things together? This is just too much for me. I have to go drink.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I personally believe that if a woman chooses to live as a slave within the Muslim religion while at the same time living a free country such as the U.S. or Canada where they have the right to refuse it then they should be allowed to. Its their choice.

Women in some Middle East countries don't have this choice of course, but I doubt Canada is going to become a Muslim state anytime soon. Again, if a Muslim man living in a Western country whose constitutions ensure freedom and equality then more power to them, they have options that others don't, I will be saddened for their wasted lives of servitude to a man but other wise won't care.

As far as this law is concerned, it looks like Ontario has a problem on their hands. They opened the door by letting Orthodox Jews have their religous courts so it will be hard for them to deny the same to others. And Orthodox Jews are just as fanatical and oppressive to their own followers as many devout Muslims are...most moderate Jewish people feel the same way.

top topics

join