It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Controversy erupts over Campus Republicans bake sale plans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Campus GOP bake sale stirs controversy.

Campus Republicans at the University of California Berkeley have cooked up a storm of controversy with their plans for a bake sale.

But it's not your everyday collegiate fundraiser they've got in mind. They've developed a sliding scale where the price of the cookie or brownie depends on your gender and the color of your skin.

During the sale, scheduled for Tuesday, baked goods will be sold to white men for $2.00, Asian men for $1.50, Latino men for $1.00, black men for $0.75 and Native American men for $0.25. All women will get $0.25 off those prices.

Read more at:

www.cnn.com...

Well, that is going to stir the hornets nest. They are trying to bring light to preference programs that their university implements. So are they right in what they are doing?

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
All men should be equal and women.

1 price for all

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
It is obviously the Universities that are screwing up this nation.

Why would you even think about doing that.

I am a white man and I hope that no whites buy the damn things.

Is this not illegal?

But thats ok, it is a University

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
free cake for Native American Women, is that a good idea?

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by MidnightTide

Those sorry copy cats, LOL!

Florida State University did this way back in January/February.

Not only do we have FSU in my town, but we also have the famous historically black college of Florida A and M University (FAMU).

So, FSU offered up an "Affirmative Action Bake Sale."

It resulted in plenty of controversy which finally culminated in a fairly peaceful Debate challenge. It all ended well, but there was much tension for a month or so.

One Source

A short source, but with a pic

Another Source

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

So what does a white discriminating college bake sale aka "social experiment" have to do with angering a deluded old street gang and a black college? Where's the premise for their involvement?

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by PapaEmeritus

It was to point at the absurdity of how our government operates. They were basically giving free merchandise (cookies) to minorities, and by doing so they offended the minorities. It was a genius marketing ploy for their ideas. They basically mimicked what our government already does, but when they did it, they were demonized, and it was taken offensively.

For whatever reason, affirmative action in hiring is ok, and in admission to schools it is ok, but when you put it in retail it becomes offensive? The whole premise is offensive, but the bake sale illustrated it.

I didn't attend the debate, and I won't pretend to be an expert. My participation in this thread was only to point out that FSU did it first.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Glad some people get it.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
This is not the first time they have done this.

Distinctly remember them doing this last year, and I remember the same fuss was raised.

Why the fuss when Campus Republicans do this, but not when the government does the same thing?

Illustrating absurdity by being absurd. (my apologies to Rush Limbaugh)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
You just need alot of Indian women to buy cookies. They get them for free. Then do the Tea Party thing and barter with Indian women for the cookies afterwards. Make them go broke,

Game the system Republican Tea Party style!!! Indian women do your thing.
edit on 26-9-2011 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
So, to charge different races different prices for a baked good is outrageous, but charging students different rates and admission acceptance for college is acceptable?

This is to protest legislation that will allow colleges to factor race and ethnicity and gender in their acceptance practices. Where is the outrage over that? Why should someone receive consideration simply because of their race? Why does being a woman somehow entitle you to get your application bumped ahead of a man's with equal credentials? Why should a black person's financial aide request be bumped ahead of an equally poor caucasian's?

Look, either we embrace equality or not.
Equal is equal.
No credit for being rich, no bonus points for being biracial, no extra credit because your parents are Hispanic.

It is one thing to say that racism and preferential treatment still happen. It's entirely another to produce legislation to ensure it always will.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by lpowell0627
So, to charge different races different prices for a baked good is outrageous, but charging students different rates and admission acceptance for college is acceptable?

Wow, it took almost two hours for someone to even get to the reason for the bake sale being put on this way. The rest of you were too busy arguing over the sale, but not word one the fact that if you're a minority, you'll get a better price to get into college. I love ATS; it restores my faith in the idiocy of humanity.

/TOA
edit on 26-9-2011 by The Old American because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightTide

Well, that is going to stir the hornets nest. They are trying to bring light to preference programs that their university implements. So are they right in what they are doing?

Not just their state, but the whole of the "equal" United States. Why should they not use this pricing structure if this is the accepted definition of "equality" in America?

new topics

top topics

join