It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good Fences Make Good Neighbors - Northern Mexican Border Needs Fence

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Is the U.S. being set up for a big fall; Not only are terrorism, the Iraq war, and the Afghanistan war, draining our national resources, but also Mexico is refusing to pay the water it owes U.S.

Now this report The High Cost of Cheap Labor details the effects of illegal immigration:

Households headed by illegal aliens imposed more than $26.3 billion in costs on the federal government in 2002 and paid only $16 billion in taxes, creating a net fiscal deficit of almost $10.4 billion, or $2,700 per illegal household.

� Among the largest costs are Medicaid ($2.5 billion); treatment for the uninsured ($2.2 billion); food assistance programs such as food stamps, WIC, and free school lunches ($1.9 billion); the federal prison and court systems ($1.6 billion); and federal aid to schools ($1.4 billion).

� With nearly two-thirds of illegal aliens lacking a high school degree, the primary reason they create a fiscal deficit is their low education levels and resulting low incomes and tax payments, not their legal status or heavy use of most social services.

On the other hand, the report also found:

The vast majority of illegals hold jobs. Thus the fiscal deficit they create for the federal government is not the result of an unwillingness to work.

� On average, the costs that illegal households impose on federal coffers are less than half that of other households, but their tax payments are only one-fourth that of other households.

� With nearly two-thirds of illegal aliens lacking a high school degree, the primary reason they create a fiscal deficit is their low education levels and resulting low incomes and tax payments, not their legal status or heavy use of most social services.

Add the reports of Al-Qaeda using Mexico's border with the U.S. as an entry point for operations in U.S., and it is clear that a solution must be developed.

Not knee jerk reactions but realistic solutions addressing both the U.S. and Mexico's concerns over terrorism, highway safety, environmental , and economic growth.

Not to mention we are neighbors, we should at least be civil to each other and look out for our common good.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 03:33 AM
link   
I agree with you in principal that a way of secruing the border is not only necessary but prudent. However, illegal imigrants do hold alot of jobs esp say in California. The agriculture industry is utterly dependant on them. We would have to ensure that people that want to work qwould be allowed through the borders to do so.

If regulated, then it would be a benifit not only to US growers, but also to the illegals (leagal under this setup) as well

No more dying in the desert packed into a freight container
Growers would have a more stable base of workers, the workers would also be protected from potential abuse by the growers

etc

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 04:28 AM
link   
How about helping make Mexico a better place to live than the US, that way pople will want to leave the hole they call the US of A and want to move to Mexico... oh wait then the Mexicans need to put up a fence to keep poor Gringos out... [/

If America keeps robbing countries of their wealth and resouces, it it any wonder the population want to move to where their goods are disappearing to?

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corinthas
If America keeps robbing countries of their wealth and resouces, it it any wonder the population want to move to where their goods are disappearing to?

How exactly are we robbing Mexico?

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Probably one reason for the low income is the fact that the employers know they are illegal, so they can pay them less.

Also, I think the title of this thread shows what is wrong in the situation.

Good neighbours do not need fences, they trust each other.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 06:52 AM
link   

How about helping make Mexico a better place to live than the US, that way pople will want to leave the hole they call the US of A and want to move to Mexico... oh wait then the Mexicans need to put up a fence to keep poor Gringos out... [/

yes us sending countless formerly american jobs down to mexico to make car parts alone and to assemble certain cars is us robbing them. you're so right. we're so terrible for doing such things! we're robbing them blind sending them those jobs!

you have truly shown us all the error of our ways.

its our job to prop up their government and everyone else's. in fact because their government is so corrupt, their justice system being a sham and all those are our fault too. everything is our fault. the world was perfect until america was founded and then eveything went to hell!

your post was so enlightening i have formerly denounced my citizenship. you have shown me what a horrible monster america really is!

[edit on 26-8-2004 by ThePrankMonkey]

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

How exactly are we robbing Mexico?

NAFTA, cheap non-union labour and then bring the cheaply manufacutred goods to the US to export as if they were made there.
This is just an example for Mexico, how ever i was talking about immigration from 3rd to 1st world in general, not just Mexico.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 07:02 AM
link   
ThePrankMonkey:

In fact 1492 and the finding of the "new world" is indeed the beginning of the end according to some. It's the beginning of this "predatory capitalism" we have now.
Read Chomskys "Year 501 and the conquest continues" it might help you see history the way you were not supposed to see it.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 07:11 AM
link   
yes yes all americans and the western world is bad. yes yes. i've heard all this countless times before.

i have yet to learn of any culture that hasnt participated in some form of mass murder persecution slavery and other forms of "human atrocities" towards another culture and even their own! hell the indigenous people's of south america we're regularly raiding other lands tokidnap people for their own rituals, literally sacrificing people and ripping their hearts out to appease their own gods. african tribes selling slaves to european and american traders they had caught themselves. great wall of china? slave labor. crusades? yeah christians and muslims alike died in that "cause".

maybe we should just kills ourselves and leave the world to the rest of the animals as not one country or culture have cleans hands.

or do you want to continue to play the "only america does wrong" game?

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePrankMonkey

or do you want to continue to play the "only america does wrong" game?

Never even started playing that game.. come on the British empire has already done what the US in now trying to achieve, in fact the US was a colony. I am partly Irish so I am definitly NOT GOING TO FLY THAT FLAG!

But being a DIRECT PRODUCT of Columbus 1492 et al. it's kind of fitting that the US wants to turn the rest of the "old world" into the "new" and is undenyable the biggest purpotrator of these crimes at the moment.

join