It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2016: Streaming High-Definition Video From The Moon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
NASA, after being so disappointed in you for not giving scientists what they need, I can finally applaud your efforts.

Finally NASA is divulging information on their latest efforts to speed up data transmissions in LEO, from Mars, and even beyond. They will be using lasers so they will still have to obey the speed limit of light but they will increase bandwidth to beyond gigabit speeds. There will still be latency that will increase based on how far away a said transmitter is to a receiver but the amount of data you can push over the pipe will be increased significantly. Since they will be streaming the data, this limitation will not matter except when you have to send commands back up the pipe.

For example, if a Mars rover had this tech you would still experience the delay between sending a command and the rover receiving it. Then you have to wait the same amount of time for the rover to send verification back to you. Essentially, you would not know if your commands worked for several minutes depending on its relation to Earth. The difference will be in the amount of data you can send at one time. I just hope NASA makes the data available on the Internet when they start using this tech. I want my high def videos of Mars!

I find this very exciting because we would be able to stream high definition video or any other data for that matter which will increase our potential for discovery. Thank you NASA for making advancements in this area.

The payload will include telescopes, lasers, mirrors, detectors, a pointing and tracking system, control electronics, and two different types of modems. One modem is ideal for communicating with deep space missions or tiny, low-power smallsats operating in low-Earth orbit. The other can handle much higher data rates, particularly from Earth-orbiting spacecraft, including the International Space Station. "With the higher-speed modem type, future systems could support data rates of tens of gigabits per second," Israel said.

www.science20.com...

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Are the cameras going to be pointed away from the Moon Bases?

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
The cameras will be pointing downward so we can't see much... in the Arizona dessert.
I'll hold my breath though.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Naw.....They can erase anything they want in real time now quite easily.....

top topics

join