It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IMPORTANT!!! NASA/US government Internationally liable for any damage due to UARS debris.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
So it would seem that wherever debris falls it is still owned by the US/NASA.

Under the terms of the Outer Space Treaty of 1967, the US government retains ownership of the debris and could, if it so wished, seek to take possession of any items found on the ground.

With those ownership rights also comes absolute liability if a piece of UARS were to damage property or injure someone.

Please read article for full details

Source
edit on 23/9/2011 by waveydavey because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Interesting to see how this plays out should any damage to property occur and god forbid anybody is injured/killed.
Also wonder wht the going rate is for a crater in someones garden?

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by waveydavey
Interesting to see how this plays out should any damage to property occur and god forbid anybody is injured/killed.
Also wonder wht the going rate is for a crater in someones garden?

Probably life in prison with no hope of parole, why you ask. They'll probably accuse you of stealing it and trying to hide it by burying it

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I bet some poor people somewhere in the world
is praying it hits there poperty..

CHA CHING $$
edit on 23-9-2011 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by popsmayhem

oh Yah!! Ja! Us Africans!

You guys are here and there.
You can run but you cant hide!

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
So if I build a satalite put it in airspace with a hot air balloon and drop it on the white house am I liable for any damage?

edit on 23-9-2011 by mileslong54 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
LoL. My step son nearly had his head taken off just past midday today by a chunk of flying metal that embedded itself in his backyard.
Hmmmmmmm

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I hope it hits my house. That would work out nicely. Hmmmm I need a really big magnet.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
"Reports are coming in that thousands of homes have been damaged by the falling satellite. In other news sledgehammer sales have risen by 2000%"

Seriously all you'd have to say to the media is the usual "It just happened so fast...."

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Lol, they say its a danger to the public because it is sharp.

If it landed in my back garden, I wouldnt tell them, Id sell it to the highest bidder.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
As I see it, if they are going to maintain the position that it is still theirs and they want any surviving pieces back then if it does any damage what so ever, then they are responsible for the costs. Otherwise, getting their pieces back should not even be a consideration.

Never the less, in another country our laws do not apply so in this case NASA should be SOL.

new topics

top topics

join