It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Illinois Launches Asian Carp Anti-Hunger Program

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by CynicalDrivel

Heck yeah! In Cameron and such, folks even eat neutria when nothing else comes up....as long as there's rice and wine to wash it down....carp will be a delicacy, and why didn't some pinhead think of this sooner?!

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by pavil

Thanks for the clarification

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
These fish are a big problem and all they can tell you is to eat carp? That's insane! The government causes the problem by issuing licenses to catfish farms and OKs the use of these carp. They don't even consider that it may flood and spread the invasive carp through the whole Mississippi watershed. They don't even provide realistic solutions to preventing them from entering the Great Lakes. The only thing they can come up with is for poor people to eat these fish that were used to eat the excrement of the bottom feeding catfish? Completely insane!

We could cook up some Zebra mussels and serve them as a side dish.
edit on 23-9-2011 by MichiganSwampBuck because: typo and last line

edit on 23-9-2011 by MichiganSwampBuck because: another typo

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by MichiganSwampBuck
The only thing they can come up with is for poor people to eat these fish that were used to eat the excrement of the bottom feeding catfish? Completely insane!

I am sure lobster does the same thing. So carp is bad for poor people and lobster is good for rich people, but they do the same thing. Pigs also eat garbage, maybe we should stop making sausage too.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   

These fish are a big problem and all they can tell you is to eat carp? That's insane! The government causes the problem by issuing licenses to catfish farms and OKs the use of these carp. They don't even consider that it may flood and spread the invasive carp through the whole Mississippi watershed. They don't even provide realistic solutions to preventing them from entering the Great Lakes. The only thing they can come up with is for poor people to eat these fish that were used to eat the excrement of the bottom feeding catfish? Completely insane!

Look, the bottom of bottom feeders are tasty. Oysters, crabs, mollusks, etc. I don't care what they filter as much as how soon can I "safely" eat them.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by CynicalDrivel

Look, the bottom of bottom feeders are tasty. Oysters, crabs, mollusks, etc. I don't care what they filter as much as how soon can I "safely" eat them.

Tuna has mercury. I say feed the people. I don't understand how someone could say to a starving child "No, you have to go hungry even though here is a food source". We can say all day long that we can feed a person a fish for a day and teach him to fish then he will eat for a lifetime if that person is too hungry to fish in the first place. Feed him and then teach him. Food is food, that is what it is there for in the first place.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Yeah, I remember that Tuna has mercury. I think theirs is supposed to be elevated because they're closer to the top of the food chain, if I remember correctly. Bottom feeders tend to only be a problem in that source where the direct source is very contaminated. But it's the amount of contamination you eat, as much as there is contamination.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by joyride0187

After reading this article I'm more convinced than ever that a lot of "poor" people in the U.S. would starve in any other century or in many other countries today.

I am one of those people who would starve rather than eat crap.....ooops, I mean carp!

I used to live in Louisiana, and nearly starved to death while I was living there. Catfish won't pass these lips! Sucking the heads of crawfish? No wayyyyyy!!!!!!!

A lot of the people I met there, are the unhealthiest people I have ever known, and I think it was because of their diets. Catfish, crawfish, and everything else fried, even pickles!

No doubt about it, I would starve or eat cardboard before carp!

And to add, there is not a healthy enough body of water in Illinois that I would eat any fish out of, having lived there, too! NO WAY, just because of the condition of every stream, lake or pond! Disgusting!

edit on 24-9-2011 by Blanca Rose because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose

Originally posted by joyride0187

After reading this article I'm more convinced than ever that a lot of "poor" people in the U.S. would starve in any other century or in many other countries today.

Sucking the heads of crawfish? No wayyyyyy!!!!!!!

edit on 24-9-2011 by Blanca Rose because: (no reason given)

Eww BiancaRose. I am not hungry enough to think of that. Really? That is what they do?

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by WarminIndy

What they do is pull the head off, suck what is inside of that out, then dig out the tail part, to eat!

I nearly vomited when I saw people doing that, but, that's how they do it there! Just watching the process to cook the things made me sick. They put them in a huge vat of some sort, and pour in enough salt for 50 people to consume in a year to get the crawfish to vomit before cooking them.

After that is done, they put them in a boiling pot with other spices and MORE salt.

Nasty!

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose
reply to post by WarminIndy

What they do is pull the head off, suck what is inside of that out, then dig out the tail part, to eat!

I nearly vomited when I saw people doing that, but, that's how they do it there! Just watching the process to cook the things made me sick. They put them in a huge vat of some sort, and pour in enough salt for 50 people to consume in a year to get the crawfish to vomit before cooking them.

After that is done, they put them in a boiling pot with other spices and MORE salt.

Nasty!

I remember in the movie Cold Mountain, Jude Law eats crabs raw. Still, I would have to be starving first, and I suppose people get used to eating things when they are small children. There are people in India who eat rats. I would be dead now if all I had to eat were rats because I am so rat phobic.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

I think a lot of people are missing the point here. Do some research on these fish. They have destroyed and/or are destroying river systems ecosystem. It is actually pretty sad. And almost nothing can be done to combat them, although I don't mind the idea of getting rid of them per people who need food.

edit on 24-9-2011 by capone1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by capone1

I think a lot of people are missing the point here. Do some research on these fish. They have destroyed and/or are destroying river systems ecosystem. It is actually pretty sad. And almost nothing can be done to combat them, although I don't mind the idea of getting rid of them per people who need food.

Have you ever gone fishing in Illinois? I grew up there, and lived there most of my life. You would not get me to eat a fish out of any body of water in that state, because it's all so polluted. I wouldn't swim in Lake Michigan if you paid me to! Yet, you think it's ok to have poor, or starving people consume bottom feeding carp out of these waters?

This really seems like some sort of plot, in my opinion, to get rid of a lot of poor and starving people!

www.idph.state.il.us...

The following meal advisories for fish found with elevated levels of chlordane, methylmercury and polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) are based primarily on protecting sensitive populations, most particularly women who are pregnant, nursing, or of childbearing age, fetuses, and children younger than 15 years of age. All advisories may be overprotective for women beyond childbearing age and males 15 years of age and older.

Just some food for thought!~

I bet that they could all get some very inexpensive seafood out of the Gulf of Mexico right now, too!

Yes, while it's a good idea to research what affect these carp are having on the environment, it's also a good idea to research how eating them, or any fish out of Illinois waters can have health consequences!

edit on
24-9-2011 by Blanca Rose because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-9-2011 by Blanca Rose because: add link and text

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
apparently this one is as good quality as walleye and it is good baked , battered and fried or grilled. I wouldn't really expect carp to be any good for much, but battered and fried carp for fish and chips, hmm, it won't be as comparable to halibut, cod or haddock

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Cod's about the best northern fish I've tasted.

Oh, not let's not feed them fish, but let's give them Mad Cow burgers! The things is that we feed people is junk already. There's not 1 source of food that's massed produced that as not had contamination all the way down to spinach and strawberries.

Sucking heads and pinching tails is what you do to a Crawfish--but don't eat the dead ones. You suck head to get the fat out of it. For anyone who eats lobster or shrimp, it's the same thing. You're eating their tails.
edit on 24-9-2011 by CynicalDrivel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by capone1
reply to post by soficrow

edit on 24-9-2011 by capone1 because: (no reason given)

I assumed that everyone knew what a huge problem these fish really are. Your run of the mill carp are non-native and invasive as well, but they're not like these Asian carp that are ruining our waters just like the Zebra mussels. Those invasive species, they just keep coming don't they.
edit on 25-9-2011 by MichiganSwampBuck because: typo

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join