It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Odd Auroral coverage map?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I wonder if someone can explain what this red arrow is?

The image is what Spaceweather currently has on their front page and I check there occasionally to see what new items might be interesting to read about. I haven't seen this map image with arrows or additional graphics like this before? I'm sure there is some routine explanation, but can someone out there satisfy my curiosity as to what it might be?

edit on 21-9-2011 by Wrabbit2000 because: typo

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
A link to the original website would be a good start, there is probably an explanation somewhere on the website.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
The arrow points to the location of the Sun.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Off the top of my head, it looks like a map depicting the possible view areas of the aura borealis (sp?).

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
NOAA

The discription of the red arrow is right below the photo.

The red arrow in the plot, that looks like a clock hand, points toward the noon meridian.

edit on 21-9-2011 by lilowl53 because: Quote

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thanks Phage. I figured someone far more familiar with looking at those maps would know at a glance what that meant.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by mileysubet

My bad on that. I think it's been answered but here was the link I'd started from in asking:

Space Weather - Various Maps, Data Streams and Stories about our changing Solar System

The display is a permanent feature on the left side bar, and they had no explanation for what that arrow was. I know this wasn't the deepest question I've ever managed to come up with on a thread, but I still appreciate the quick answers!

new topics

top topics

join