It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harvesting 'limitless' hydrogen from self-powered cells

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Could not find a forum set up for the alternative enegry subjects. If I missed it mods, please feel free to move this article to a more appropriate local.

I thought there might be some interest in this amoung a few members here.

www.bbc.co.uk...

They seem to be working on processes to generate both hydrogen for fuel and electrical power via a bacteria fuel cell. This may be a few years away as yet, but it may be one answer to a major need.

US researchers say they have demonstrated how cells fuelled by bacteria can be "self-powered" and produce a limitless supply of hydrogen.

I notice this has not recieved much notice on this side of the pond.

"We use those microbes, particularly inside something called a microbial fuel cell (MFC), to generate electrical power. We can also use them in this device, where they need a little extra power to make hydrogen gas."

The next step, Prof Logan explained, was to develop larger-scale cells: "Then it will easier to evaluate the costs and investment needed to use the technology.

Can't help until the big oil companies start pouring their money into this.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
To diversify into an effective on mass fuel source/s is not an overnight thing! We are talking ramping up from initial 5-10 years research, testing to 30 years before large scale adoption. Conversion issues are massive but not insumountable. The process has already started but only in a small way. Take another 10 years before any major adoption even begins to be phased in or make a difference!

And yes Hydro is on the horizon, but slowly as she goes...

join