It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Missouri Earthquake Insight Field Trip in November

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Looks like this is not for the general public. But it is interesting that this is for govt types and disaster recovery people.

www.dnr.mo.gov...

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Yes, it's for engineers and planners and they'll be talking incredibly dull stuff like strain and materials. Reporters could probably go along but they'd find it a pretty yawn-inducing experience.

Unless you happen to like engineering.

For what it's worth, there's a lot of these little private field trips happening all the time. I'm going on mussels in late October... and the reason it's not open to the public is that we're doing a species assessment in an area that's at risk and we don't want nine zillion people around, we'll be walking through a muddy and easily damaged environment, and we need people who can tell the difference between the Pond Mussel and the Lilliput Mussel (which means you have to know bivalve anatomy.)

...and people who won't drop trash all over the place while they're doing the survey (I have a nice long rant about this.)

But for any interest (paleontology, rock art, architecture, conservation, geology, archaeology) it's possible to find special interest groups (clubs) that will give you an opportunity to do the same sort of thing in a friendly and interesting manner. Plus, you get access to all sorts of sites not open to the public!

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Pretty cool to read about since I live in MidMo.. Thanks for sharing.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

I am involved with the Missouri Aquarium Society, so actually counting mussels would be fun.

Thanks for the heads up. I will pay attention for fish-related trips.

If I can go on the earthquake trip, I will. Sounds really interesting.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by katfish
reply to post by Byrd

I am involved with the Missouri Aquarium Society, so actually counting mussels would be fun.

Thanks for the heads up. I will pay attention for fish-related trips.

If I can go on the earthquake trip, I will. Sounds really interesting.

Are you involved in your local Stream Team efforts? scienceforcitizens.net... ? I've really gotten into mussels since taking up the Mussel Watch (mainly because I was the only volunteer with a good biology background who wasn't afraid to make an idiot of themselves identifying these things.) They're pretty darn cool.

A lot of times citizen science like this exists, but has become neglected because no one in a paid position has time to take care of the local area (Frog Watch is another one of these things) -- this is where a volunteer can become quite a community spokesperson if they wish. And as spokesperson, their voice has a lot more weight than average on environmental issues.

new topics

top topics

join