It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gulf War Syndrome Is Brain Damage Caused By Nerve Gas, Not Psychological Issues, UT Southwestern Stu

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Gulf War Syndrome Is Brain Damage Caused By Nerve Gas, Not Psychological Issues, UT Southwestern Study Proves

blogs.dallasobserver.com

There's no denying it now: Gulf War Syndrome, characterized by memory loss, lack of concentration, neuropathic pain and depression, is a physiological illness, not a psychological one.

chief epidemiologist at UT Southwestern, and a cadre of clinicians and researchers, have struggled with the government for some 18 years for research funding and to have the syndrome recognized as a legitimate war injury caused by chronic exposure to minimal amounts of sarin gas.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Above video shows symptoms of Sarin Gas

blogs.dallasobserver.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 16-9-2011 by ModernAcademia because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
You know, I never been to the Gulf War, but come test time, these symptoms always seem to creep up on me. [characterized by memory loss, lack of concentration].. Sure it's not in the US air either?

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I thought they had attributed GWS
to depleted uranium 238 ordnance...?

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by spoonbender

The specificaly ruled DU out several years ago.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I have talked to at least two seperate Desert Storm Veterans, Both were in areas hit by Scuds,( Or targeted but the missiles either broke up or were damaged by proximity fused patriots). In both accounts the NBC alarms went off, and the troops spent hours in MOPP4 level gear. The prevailing thought was either, 1. The warheads had chemical weapons, probably sarin or VX but were in a binary configuration and had not mixed or mixed incorrectly, or 2) the chemical "mist" deconcentrated before it arrived at ground level with the missiles breaking up before delivery, or 3) left over rocket fuel set the alarms off, which itself (depending on the type of fuel) could have been highly toxic.

One of the vets even got a tetter from the VA several years later stating, ""you were ID'd as someone who may have been in an area affacted by chemical weapons......you were NOT in the potential chemical weapons zone (he had been) and NO chemicals were determined to have been used.

He suffers no ill effects, but several of his friends did.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

i think it would have to be a combination of a lot of things for most people..
this definetley seems plausible tho

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by SirMike

Really?

Poison DUst: Depleted Uranium Kills.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Well...I've been there and I'll tell you that we had to have gas masks on to even go for a dump. Do you know how hard it is to live with a gas mask on your face for 20 hours a day ...??? It's terrible.

To add a little, we had to send out some of our gas/fuel equipment in for "testing". We mostly send back generators that ran 24/7 for the first couple of months we were there. Chemical tests we done on the intake and exhaust valves of these generators and I can absolutely guaranty you that chemical nerve gas was used by the Iraq soldiers.

The gulf war syndrome is real, soldiers were in fact exposed to low and wide spread doses.
edit on 16-9-2011 by Fox Molder because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Sandia is a multiprogram laboratory operated by Sandia Corporation, a Lockheed Martin company, for the U.S. Department of Energy’s National Nuclear Security Administration. Sandia has major R&D responsibilities in national security, energy and environmental technologies, and economic competitiveness.

werd...
I might believe the info more
if the study's weren't carried out
by a subsidiary lab run by Skunk Works

of course they are gonna say DU is all Kewl

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   

I know it is bad considering they are talking about brain dammage, but the last line of that article did make me chuckle.

"But the research is really going to come to a head in the next six to 12 months."

It is time the authorities shared what they know about this with the civilian doctors and hospitals so thes guys can get looked after properly. They have all done a good job for the country, it is time the country did a good job for them.
edit on 16-9-2011 by Shamatt because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Yes … REALLY.

Chemical and Radiological Toxicity of Depleted Uranium

Heavy-metal nephrotoxicity has not been noted in either animal studies or Gulf War veteran cohort studies despite markedly elevated urinary uranium excretion. No significant residual environmental contamination has been found in geographical areas exposed to DU. As such, although continued surveillance of exposed cohorts and environments (particularly water sources) are recommended, current data would support the position that DU poses neither a radiological nor chemical threat.

Radiological Risk Assessment of Capstone Depleted Uranium Aerosols

Risks for crewmembers and first responders were determined for selected scenarios based on the time interval of exposure and for vehicle and armor type. The lung was the organ with the highest cancer mortality risk, accounting for about 97% of the risks summed from all organs. The highest mean lifetime risk for lung cancer for the scenario with the longest exposure time interval (2 h) was 0.42%. This risk is low compared with the natural or background risk of 7.35%.

Cancer surveillance in Italian army peacekeeping troops deployed in Bosnia and Kosovo, 1996–2007: Preliminary results

Conclusion: Although further investigation is needed, these preliminary results give no indication of an increased risk of cancer for Italian soldiers who were stationed in Bosnia and Kosovo. The cluster of Hodgkin's lymphoma in 2000 and of thyroid cancer in 2001 were sporadic events, they did not specifically affect deployed personnel and are unlikely to be related to environmental exposures in the Balkans.

Fifty years' study of occupational exposure provides little evidence of cancer.

Depleted uranium, used in anti-tank weapons, provides a common thread that links concerns about leukemia and other health effects in peacekeeping forces returned from the Balkans and worries about the environmental impact of debris from weapons in this war-weary segment of Europe. Unlike many agents that seem suddenly to prompt health concerns,[1] however, we know quite a lot about the health effects of depleted uranium.

I suppose multiple multi-year epidemiological studies involving thousands of individuals don’t count for much though huh?

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by spoonbender

Logical Fallicy Argumentum Ad-hominem: attack the messenger, not the message.

This is a common logical fallacy. Argumentum ad hominem basically means that the argument becomes directed towards the individual as opposed towards the crucial issues being discussed. It is succinctly described as, attack the messenger not the message (hence – shoot the messenger). It is often seen in both politics and pseudoscience. Its aim is to undermine the position of ones opponent, by undermining

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   

reply to post by spoonbender

Logical Fallicy Argumentum Ad-hominem: attack the messenger, not the message.

This is a common logical fallacy. Argumentum ad hominem basically means that the argument becomes directed towards the individual as opposed towards the crucial issues being discussed. It is succinctly described as, attack the messenger not the message (hence – shoot the messenger). It is often seen in both politics and pseudoscience. Its aim is to undermine the position of ones opponent, by undermining

No ad hom attack brethren ...
I just don't believe your source is all

thats my prerogative

Lockheed Martin saying DU is safe
is like McDonald's saying the food they serve is healthy

its just kinda hard for me to believe
Namaste

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

I really don't want to highjack this important thread, but must respond. ...Cancer is not the only problem with DU.

Hundreds of tons of Depleted Uranium (DU) were used during the invasion of Iraq. The US forces have forbid any kind of (DU) related exploration programs or research. They have also covered up and denied DU’s damaging health effects, and refused to release information on the amounts, types and locations of these weapons within Iraq. As a consequence, thousands of Iraqi children and their families are suffering from different low level radiation (LLR) related diseases such as congenital malformations, malignancies, congenital heart diseases, chromosomal aberration and multiple malformations. Women in the contaminated areas suffered high rates of miscarriages and sterility

Civilian populations in Afghanistan and Iraq and occupying troops have been contaminated with astounding levels of radioactive depleted and non-depleted uranium as a result of post-9/11 United States’ use of tons of uranium munitions. Researchers say surrounding countries are bound to feel the effects as well.

In 2003 scientists from the Uranium Medical Research Center (UMRC) studied urine samples of Afghan civilians and found that 100% of the samples taken had levels of non-depleted uranium (NDU) 400% to 2000% higher than normal levels. … Four million pounds of radioactive uranium was dropped on Iraq in 2003 alone. … Most American weapons (missiles, smart bombs, dumb bombs, bullets, tank shells, cruise missiles, etc.) contain high amounts of radioactive uranium. Depleted or non-depleted, these types of weapons, on detonation, release a radioactive dust which, when inhaled, goes into the body and stays there. It has a half-life of 4.5 billion years. Basically, it’s a permanently available contaminant, distributed in the environment, where dust storms or any water nearby can disperse it. Once ingested, it releases subatomic particles that slice through DNA.

UMRC’s Field Team found several hundred Afghan civilians with acute symptoms of radiation poisoning along with chronic symptoms of internal uranium contamination, including congenital problems in newborns. …Subjects in all locations presented identical symptom profiles and chronologies. The victims reported symptoms including pain in the cervical column, upper shoulders and basal area of the skull, lower back/kidney pain, joint and muscle weakness, sleeping difficulties, headaches, memory problems and disorientation.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Dozens of epidemiological studies disagree.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

Exactly my point.

BTW ModernAcademia - S&F&

imho - Systems analysis is more productive than looking for single cause-and-effect. "They" have overloaded our planet's and our bodies' systems and stressed our poor bodies beyond endurance; disease is the only possible result.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

I can't see it just being caused by nerve gas.

I was in the Navy, and was in the Red Sea during the war. I and other Navy vets also have GW illness symptoms.
I went through a 2 day intense GWI study a few years ago with 2 MRI's, and they said I showed symptoms of GWI.
Even though the VA still keeps saying my symptoms are due to stress lol.

I still think it has to be the vaccines, or there is more than one thing going on here.

edit on 9/16/2011 by ANOK because: typo

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

who knows take your pick of poisons,fluoride,chemtrails,antidepressants in the water,genetically modified food,or aspartame?

top topics

join