It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

not 100 % proof god isn't real but it's something! I swear!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by misterbananas
reply to post by Cuervo

It disproved the Christian god

No, it disproves the scientific accuracy of the Christian bible. His/her existence is true or false independently of the bible. Taking something as old as the bible and crediting it with anything beyond allegorical substance is just silly and many churches are beginning to realize this.

God has spoken through many people throughout history and obviously they will write it down with their own bias and through their own filters of ignorance. It's like reading a National Inquirer (or any other tabloid) about "Ratboy". No, there is no "Ratboy" but there are both rats and boys. Every religion is a unique and filtered take on God's wisdom.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by applebaum
The Bible is a collection of books. The books in the Bible were chosen by a Roman Council. Many good historical books were left out of the cannon. Other books were adulterated. In any event, the Bible is NOT written by God. It was written and compiled by human kind..specifically men.

That's... not entirely accurate. Yes, the Bible is a collection of books (66 of them). They were not "chosen by a Roman Council". The Jewish Canon (including the Torah, prophets and poetry) was already closed prior to the advent of Christ. The NT canon (27 books) was decided upon at the First Council of Nicea, and is agreed upon by all mainstream denominations.

The "good historical books" you mention were left out with good reason. The extrabiblical gospels and other notable texts (e.g the book of Enoch) were not included because they did not meet explicit criteria. This doesn't mean that they have no value, but it does mean that they were, for example, not historically verifiable, or had questionable authorship. The Gospel of Thomas is a good example of this... as are many of the other extrabiblical gospels. Many of them were written hundreds of years after the events, and were "gnostic" in nature (that is, discerned by "knowledge", often the result of visions etc., rather than direct observation, as with the gospels).

Many books in the New Testament were passed on via oral traditions and finally written down hundreds of years later. Did you ever play the telephone game in elementary school. The object of the game was to pass a long a secret. The final person spoke the secret out loud. By the time the story is finally repeated to everyone, it has transformed into a nearly unrecognizable tale. I suspect this happened during the oral periods of the Bible.

That is wildly incorrect... historically and intellectually dishonest. I suggest you do some research before making unfounded claims.

Sorry, the book isn't of god. Some even feel it is worthless as a historical record. I personally do not believe it was of god. However, archeology has demonstrated that some of the places written about in the Bible actually exist. I think we put way too much emphasis on the Bible. I wish we would put as much energy into exploring our oceans and underground caves. It would be more productive.

"some even feel"...? That would be quite the minority. You *are* of course aware that there are more extant texts for the Bible than for any other book written in the history of mankind? That the Bible is more historically verifiable than any other text? Again, you really need to do your research. I don't know where you've heard those things, but they're simply not accurate statements... which means you're either not very well educated in this department, or you're being intellectually dishonest. I'm not sure which is worse; that you're making concrete claims about something, and you're wrong, or that you're pushing thinly veiled falsehoods.

I agree ENTIRELY about exploring our oceans and underground caves though. Now THAT would be great

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
All this thread demonstrates, at least to me, is that knowledge, understanding, and awareness, particularly among the young, is rapidly devolving, due to a lack of research, consideration, imagination, wisdom and intelligence.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by misterbananas

because how much sense does it make to you that some guy was the only thing to exist then he just got bored one day and made a bunch of stuff and it happens to be that he only made ONE galaxy but we have scientific proof that we have more than just the milky way,

You fail to understand the very essence of our Creator.

He is NOT a mortal MAN. Before you make threads like these you should try and understand what a diety is.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan
All this thread demonstrates, at least to me, is that knowledge, understanding, and awareness, particularly among the young, is rapidly devolving, due to a lack of research, consideration, imagination, wisdom and intelligence.

+1, and bonus points for eloquence.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join