It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Running Commercials/Adverts On The Internet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
What a load of boll ocks it has become on most sites on the net.... running commercials that mess up the whole browsing experience as they interfere with page data and other cyclical movements which are supposed to hapen on websites!! They also interfere with Registry Keys which are need in good order to help things run smoothly!!

Why don't these commercially run businesses create their own sites so people can go and watch these commercials if they want to????

Or go back to adverising in the streets or stick to the TV.... your commercials aren't wanted on the Internet too!!

We, as buyers of products want a good running service and if we want to buy anything we have the brain capacity to go look for it... we dont need you shoving your products down our throats!!!!

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

We, as buyers of products want a good running service and if we want to buy anything we have the brain capacity to go look for it... we dont need you shoving your products down our throats!!!!

While I agree, and I don't find ads really affect you once you understand how they work, I'm forced to point out that sites like ATS wouldn't exist if not for ads.

To you, running a website is probably something like coding a site in HTML, loading it on your desktop, registering it with something like Geocities, and walking away.

Sadly, a site like ATS pushes MASSIVE amounts of data. This isn't free, business internet is costly. And when you are talking a site like ATS you've got to look past basic hosting costs and understand that they require a data center with terabytes or more of data storage. Millions of hits a month, millions of threads, posts, stars, flags.

All of this would be impossible to afford if not for ads.

And with that, who the hell is going to go to a site that solely serves ads? do you spend hours a day on the home shopping network? Neither do I.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Just throw it right back at them. Block them. If you set up your browser just right, and get the right ad on apps you can have a 98% free web experience allowing only the flash you wish, and blocking all scripts save for those which you choose to allow. I can go almost anywhere on the web free of most ads. If I go to a site that requires me to allow anything that even remotely requires tracking I simply leave; believe me there is always another site with the same info or more that does not try to control you. Nothing dances across my screen.
I use firefox with Adblock noscript, and flashblock as well as a couple of others. It is less annoying for me to allow something than to have it simply take over my viewing experience. As they get more advanced so will I
..you can't stop the adds with a rant. But you can block them with a click
Good Hunting
DH

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

Actually i should have stated that i wasn't talking about ATS when i let that rant off!!!

ATS is fine and doesnt cause my computer to slow or freeze... i'm chatting about those commercials you tget on hotmail, skynews, the sun newspaper and other such sites which cause freezing of your browsing session and you have to reload the Internet!!

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by DavidsHope

Only problem with doing that is there maybe something on the site which requires me to have Flash to watch it like Skynews... i can't view the channel if i have Flash not running on the site!!

But its those Animated commercials which are causing the problem which are also on Skynews website!!

And those ones on Hotmail... they run when you sign in.... they shouldn't be there at all.... this should be my private space for myself!!

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Im my case flash is there: It shows up in a dark screen with an "f" in it. This allows me to simply click the screen if it is something I want to view. such as a video. However so do the flash adds..blank with an "f" I simply allow only what I wish. I know it is there it just doesn't run until I allow it. I too have no problem with ATS, and sometimes I actually allow their adds. But they are prehaps the only ones on the entire net.
If a script will not run, I click on the script icon on my screen and see what it is first. It can be tedious. Your choice is actually allow it all, or block it all, allowing to run with a click of "your" mouse what you wish to run. I view videos etc all over the net. But no flash comes up unless I directly allow it..on an individual case

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Its the forced AD's on youtube and the likes that grind my gears ,you have to sit through them ,before you can watch the video you requested ,there is no escape from AD's..

I watch a rescue program today ,and the helicopter in the rescue had a bloody morrisons logo painted all over it.

As if to say ,"this rescue was sponsored by morrisons quality goods at affordable prices" its just out of control now.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
It's the video ads on ATS lately that have been bothering me. I accept ads are essential for help with running costs and I don't mind ads in general but these video ads that start up with full sound are utter cheek, it's going a bit far and it feels intrusive.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hawkwind.
It's the video ads on ATS lately that have been bothering me. I accept ads are essential for help with running costs and I don't mind ads in general but these video ads that start up with full sound are utter cheek, it's going a bit far and it feels intrusive.

Yep, those video ads is what i've been chatting about..... fed up with those.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I don't really understand the point of forced ads. "Studies" say that they are effective, even if you are annoyed by them. To that I have to wonder what their goals are? Because I'm less likely to purchase a product or service if I am forced to view its ad.

And if a video shows up with sound, the only reason I'm going to click it is to mute it. And if I accidentally click the wrong thing and go to another site, obviously I'm going to hit the back button as fast as I can. And if they've disabled the back button, well that's going to irritate me and pretty much ensure that I will never, ever buy anything from them. So... unless their goal is to NOT make sales, I don't really get how these campaigns are successful.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by thepixelgarden

There are certain products that I will never buy simply because the ads for those products piss me right off. Anyone in the UK might know what I mean when I say the words ''Go Compare'' for example.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Hawkwind.

Yes, exactly! Yet many articles claim that these ads that cause negative reactions work because they are "memorable". Well, just because it's "memorable" doesn't mean it's "effective". Because I'll also remember how much I hated the ad, and will avoid the product it advertised.

top topics

join