It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-missile system developed for civilian passenger planes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2003 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Two Israeli companies have developed an airborne anti-missile system designed to protect civilian passenger planes. The system is to be fitted to planes belonging to Israel's national carrier El-Al as soon as its is certified and will be offered to airlines around the world.

The development of the system was accelerated after two shoulder-launched missiles narrowly missed an Israel passenger plane taking off from Mombasa in Kenya last November.

It consists of sensors fitted under the aircraft wings designed to automatically detect an approaching missile which triggers the release of decoys to divert the approaching missile away from the plane's flight path.

The system is similar to the Tactical Air Launched Decoy or TALD system fitted to Israeli air force jets and the US Navy fighters currently operating in Iraq.

Story Link

posted on Apr, 8 2003 @ 12:12 PM
link   
have also toyed with the idea of nose-cone mounted HELs (High Energy Lasers) as well, but it's an expense thing.... Looks like they found a work-around....

posted on Apr, 9 2003 @ 08:53 AM
link   
" Anti-missile system developed for civilian passenger planes ".

I NEVER took a civilian planes. But now that the civilians planes need to have an an anti-missile system, you can be sure that I'll NEVER do it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I use ONLY planes who have an ejection seat and a parachute.

posted on May, 5 2003 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Its sad that civilian transportation(sp?) needs this kind of protection.

posted on May, 5 2003 @ 09:54 PM
link   
This will definetly improve what people think about airlines........get their buisness back to normal

posted on May, 9 2003 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Ok.

I was also thinking of modeling the 747 to make it armed like a B-17.

new topics

top topics

join