It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Bush Denounces Ad Attacking Kerry War Record

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 04:27 PM
link   
The Scotsman newspaper is reporting that President Bush has called for a halt to all political television advertisements such as the one that attack Kerry's war record.
He also stated that unregulated political groups should not be involved in the political discourse.

news.scotsman.com
Bush Denounces Ad Attacking Kerry War Record

President George Bush today denounced a television advertisement attacking John Kerry�s war record and called for a halt to all such political ads by outside groups.

Bush said he does not think there ought to be any unregulated groups involved in the political discourse.

�That means that ad and every other ad,� he said. �I think they�re bad for the system.�

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Most people will welcome this statement from President Bush although many are likely to question why it took him so long to break his silence on the issue.

[edit on 8-23-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Bush calls for halt to Swift Boat vets' ads
�I think they�re bad for the system,' president says

Pablo Martinez Monsivais / AP

The president, center, was meeting at his Texas ranch with his defense team when he made his remarks on the ad controversy.
MSNBC staff and news service reports
Updated: 2:42 p.m. ET Aug. 23, 2004CRAWFORD, Texas - President Bush says a veterans� group should stop television ads criticizing John Kerry�s war record.

The president's criticism of the ads by Swift Boat Veterans for the Truth came as Bush denounced all TV ads by outside groups attacking both Kerry and himself on Monday and called for a halt to all such political efforts.

�I think they�re bad for the system,� he said.

When asked specifically whether the ads by the group "Swift Boat Veterans for Truth" should be halted, Bush said: "All of them. That means that ad, every other ad. Absolutely."

"I can't be more plain about it," Bush said. "I hope my opponent joins me in condemning these activities of the 527s (political groups that sponsor to ads). I think they're bad for the system."

On one hand, Bush's remarks fulfilled one request made by the Kerry campaign and voiced by Kerry running mate, Sen. John Edwards, on Saturday. "This is a moment of truth for George W. Bush," Edwards said at a Democratic rally. "We're going to see what kind of man he is and what kind of leader he is. ... We want to hear three words: Stop these ads."

Full article here

zero lift

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 07:53 PM
link   
It's no surprise Bush's team would want to distance themselves from this group, now that Kerry had released that ad that shows McCain telling Bush he should be ashamed for attacking his war record back in the Rep. primaries. It showed how low they were willing to sink back then, and showed that they had reached the same depths this time around.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I'm not sure this means very much now. If he felt this way, he should have done it before the ad had already been running for weeks. The ad's message has already out there, it's cast doubt on Kerry (whether it is true or not) and will negatively effect him in at least a minor way, and now Bush coming out to condemn the ad after it's been running for awhile which proves nothing really. It's a bonus all-around for Bush, since the ad has been getting it's message across for however many weeks now, and since he comes out condemning the ad NOW, it will make it seem like he's compassionate or something and probably steal further votes because of it.

It's already been shown the Bush and co. will do whatever it is to gain power / remain in power, and they will only apologize for their actions when it furthers their cause to do so. The only reason Bush is finally coming out against the ad is because it has caused such a stir in the political community (including some Bush supporters calling it classless), and because the ad has already served its purpose.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 11:06 PM
link   
The president wants to muzzle all "unregulated
political organizations" questioning his or his
opponents service record. He does not think any
"unregulated" political organizations should be
involved in political discourse.

Am I the only one who thinks that a president
who advocates this may not recognize the
meaning and intent of the Constitution, free
elections, and the election process in a
free country?

"They are bad for the system???"

LOL!

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 01:03 PM
link   
It's all a bunch of BS. At least Kerry had the "Cajones" to sign up for the military for Vietnam service. The closest Bush ever came to combat was smoking a joint out of the barrel of his gun with his draft dodging buddies Cheney, Rumsfeld

new topics

top topics

join