It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

73 Bullets fly down NYC street

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Fired by cops. Two hit their intended target. One hit and killed a bystander.

A bystander who was fatally shot on a Brooklyn stoop may have been killed by a police officer’s errant round, ballistics testing indicated on Wednesday.

Several officers confronted Mr. Webster, who officials said ignored their orders and fired at them. Eight officers returned fire — in two distinct volleys — firing 73 bullets and striking Mr. Webster twice, in his chest and hip.

NYtimes

Despite my anti-cop attitude I've actually come out to defend them when reports come out of an absurd amount of ammunition is sent flying at a target. Five cops carrying ten rounds fearing for their lives (as they perpetually do) and you easily get 50 shots thrown at a target. Despite their hive-mind behavior they arent actually connected and don't know if one of them disabled the target so they all fire to disable often creating a ridiculous scenario such as 50 shots fired into a jaywalker or handicapped grandma in a wheelchair.

It happens and I understand how it happens.

Firing where there is no backstop and there are people, bystanders, moving about in an urban populated area is simply uncalled for.

Saving lives by sending a wall of lead down Main Street and saving lives by pursuing high-speed car chases leaving bystanders wrecked and dead?

Seems like living out an action movie fantasy takes priority over keeping people safe. But then keeping people safe never was the priority was it?

I'm betting the ballistic forensics police and politicians push so hard as infallible evidence will just happen to come back as "inconclusive" for this investigation. It's gospel when your ass or my ass is on the line. It's "inconclusive" when it's the ass of one of gods chosen.
edit on 9-9-2011 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
But but but... this is impossible! Guns are banned in NYC! I mean, criminals wouldn't break the law now would they?

Another victim of guns... I guess we should be calling for the end of gun violence, DONE BY THE POLICE...

I suggest we impose strick gun control on cops! I mean, they kill more people every year than regular citizen killing each other with guns, and they are far fewer! Cops are dangerous!

(see me too I can be a gun control advocate
)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
cops are nut cases and the badge is what lets them not be compared to common criminals. Its a get away with murder shield.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

(see me too I can be a gun control advocate
)

Me too. I'll start pushing for mandatory training and licensing of police. Sure, it exists. And fools would even say it's better training than what is privately available to us. Speaking as someone who has trained and shot along side many cops in competitions and other events extra cop training like SWAT teams get with force on force may be okay but the typical beat cop isnt trained at all.

"Quals" are a complete joke. And they are never taught to fire under stress. Even simple competition stress like IDPA is totally mind blowing to them.

Unless the cop seeks to fire and train in his own time that cop wont be any better than some hoplophobe raised stoned teenager stumbling across his grandfathers old revolver.

Most of the cops Ive encountered hate their guns and admit to never touching them unless qualifying and never owning any personally. For every one cop we get at comps out here there are half a dozen of his buddies just watching in awe that somebody would actually use a gun for recreation or that all of us common people would own and be shooting as much as we do.

Since Ive moved to a more gun-friendly region this hasnt been the case as much but the more urban, populated and generally hoplophobic places Ive lived and worked in this has always been the case.

Never mind training them to fire. How about training them not to fire? Take stock of the situation and decide whether or not sending your magazine flying down a city street at a fleeing suspect is really the best option.

It's as if some thug killing a bystander is a horrible tragedy while a cop killing a bystander is the price we must pay for law and order. Dying a martyr of sorts.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

disgusting!
governments and corporations are just big gangs
the police and army are their enforcers
we need to strip police of their powers before they are asked to inforce the unpaid debt!

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Most of the cops Ive encountered hate their guns and admit to never touching them unless qualifying and never owning any personally.

Yep. My uncle is a cop and he hate his gun. He shoots it one time a year, because he's forced to, and he hates it because ``it hurts his arm``...
Hell I hope he never has to use it, because he will be very dangerous... to everyone, including himself.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
``it hurts his arm``...

Wow. So apparently even when he does have to fire his gun he's doing it all wrong if it hurts his arm.
The smallest weakest frame can handle just about any common caliber handgun accurately without discomfort if practicing proper technique.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
The reason the cops cannot hit anything is their weapon of choice. They all seem to want those Glocks, and it is true they are light, and powerful. But, every time you fire, you must again acquire your target, the lightness of the pistol makes the barrel jump up when it is fired. I know this from experience. A heavier weapon would be a much better choice for a cop to carry.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench
The reason the cops cannot hit anything is their weapon of choice. They all seem to want those Glocks, and it is true they are light, and powerful. But, every time you fire, you must again acquire your target, the lightness of the pistol makes the barrel jump up when it is fired. I know this from experience. A heavier weapon would be a much better choice for a cop to carry.

glocks are the crap,honestly

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   
I'm just going to say that when I was in Iraq, if I missed my target I was probably going to die. If I hit an innocent bystander, I would be all over the news. It blows my mind who we give guns to while we cry out for gun control of the citizenry and veterans.

new topics

top topics

join