It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Firefox's rapid release schedule harms bug-squashing efforts.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   

His argument (which he clarified in a follow-up post): Triage doesn't have the time or resources to go through all the reported bugs to keep up with Firefox's accelerated release cycle. "With the old model of releasing a new major version once a year, triage had a bit more time to go through a massive pile of bugs, to find regressions and issues, and there was a pretty good chance that most bugs would get caught, just because we had time on our side.... Or so went the theory. Even this process failed us," he wrote.

To illustrate the challenge triage faces with rapid release, Tyler said that Firefox currently has 6,000 unconfirmed reported bugs -- not to be confused with 6,000 real bugs. ""Out of those 6,000 bugs, there are duplicates, bugs that have already been fixed, bugs that are user error, bugs that are caused by third-party software, and so on. I simply wanted to suggest that we need to do a better job of going through the bugs that are submitted. Without going through the list, it is difficult to determine which bugs are real and which are invalid," he wrote.

www.infoworld.com...

Do you think this will ultimately harm Firefox in the long run? I see people on this site mention that they have been having problems with Firefox crashing or slowing down. If Mozilla doesn't fix bug problems it will become unstable and unusable possibly leading they way for Chrome to over take Firefox.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Well I was on Firefox 3 a few months ago...now I'm on what, Firefox 6? That sort of confused me...

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by IlluminatusOculus33

I am running the latest 6.0.2 with all updates current. I have had no issues and the platform is quite stable. Even running several add-ons blocking flash, scripts etc. the new browser does not support sun java console, but other than that all add ons and plug ins seem to be stable with the latest version, Very fast and productive

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I've started getting Firefox hanging for a few seconds and then it will flicker and start working again. I'm on Windows 7. First time I've had problems with it. No viruses or malware. It started happening after I updated to 6.0.2 version of Firefox.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I don't know what the hell Mozilla is up to. Maybe they've identified some potential issues, and have been scurrying to fix them. As a tech for many years, I've never seen a platform move and update so fast unless there are problems of some kind.

I've used FF for a long time. I hope they don't screw it up and become like Internet Explorer.

S&F

top topics

join